Is there many people out there running Drag Radials....

happy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
As daily tires??? Im not out in the rain with my car so not worried about that, and the roads are so bumpy here i cant get much more than 200kmh with out having to slow back down for holes and bumps, was wondering since i want a run my car a few times this summer at the track if a set of drag radials would be good for me to use on the road as well. Whats the down fall to this?? Thanks guys!!

Canyon707

Enthusiast
Reaction score
FYI First off let me talk to about drag radials. Not a good choice for the street or for the strip. After doing much research and hands on driving the drag radial is not really designed for cars with gear transmissions. It was designed for for automatic transmissions due to loads placed on the rear wheels. A bias drag tire is the best tire to use on a car with a standard transmission. They are designed to wrinkle the sidewall placing the tire more firmly on the ground under launch exceleration. This info was provided to me by Mickey Thompson tire tech. They don't make a drag tire for the Viper. The only one they make is 17" so I am not sure if a 17" rim would even fit on a viper. I had been running MT Drag radials and the reason for my contact was not happy with it's performance. So beleive me or not I am just passing on this information. Also the tire as far as I am concerned is just for straight line running. It does not go around corners well. Does anyone know who makes a 18" bias drag tire???

vpower01

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I run nitto NT555R Nitto Tire - High Performance Tires for Car and Truck Enthusiasts
They are fine for the street and grip fine around corners
for street driving they stick better then any other tire except these NT05R Nitto Tire - High Performance Tires for Car and Truck Enthusiasts stickiest tire around... well for street anyway. Im getting these but im gonna buy 19 inch rims first then these tires.

Try the NT555R go get a quote at any discount tire, there not that much and stick great.

The NT05R are not for cold weather but i dont drive in 32 degrees so i think i will be ok.

On the fronts you would want to run NT05 or Invos or NT555.

you want to leave someone at the line on the street you need these.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lots of guys run the bfg DR but it depends on How you drive. Cornering suffers and rain isn't fun I'm sure.

BigBadViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
FYI First off let me talk to about drag radials. Not a good choice for the street or for the strip. After doing much research and hands on driving the drag radial is not really designed for cars with gear transmissions. It was designed for for automatic transmissions due to loads placed on the rear wheels. A bias drag tire is the best tire to use on a car with a standard transmission. They are designed to wrinkle the sidewall placing the tire more firmly on the ground under launch exceleration. This info was provided to me by Mickey Thompson tire tech. They don't make a drag tire for the Viper. The only one they make is 17" so I am not sure if a 17" rim would even fit on a viper. I had been running MT Drag radials and the reason for my contact was not happy with it's performance. So beleive me or not I am just passing on this information. Also the tire as far as I am concerned is just for straight line running. It does not go around corners well. Does anyone know who makes a 18" bias drag tire???

I think you are wrong on quite a few points. Yes, MT does make an 18" Drag Radial, and I can tell you that it hooks like a motha. I was running 17psi on tires and 12 psi on the turbos and pulled a 1.36 60' with no spin. They run fine on the street. I don't know about this rain thing that you mention, but mine has never seen rain.

The BFGs **** so bad compared to these that it is night and day difference. I would never go back to BFG's. In fact I have a used set that you can have if you want them for a very low price.

OP
OP
H

happy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I think you are wrong on quite a few points. Yes, MT does make an 18" Drag Radial, and I can tell you that it hooks like a motha. I was running 17psi on tires and 12 psi on the turbos and pulled a 1.36 60' with no spin. They run fine on the street. I don't know about this rain thing that you mention, but mine has never seen rain.

The BFGs **** so bad compared to these that it is night and day difference. I would never go back to BFG's. In fact I have a used set that you can have if you want them for a very low price.

how do you find them on the street???? The M/T thats is!!! Do they ride allright? Any noises from them? thanks!

OP
OP
H

happy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
r these the ones ur using drag radail 11 there teh only ones but in a 345 that little bit wider shouldnt matter right? thanks

Attachments

• et_street_radial_b.jpg
    et_street_radial_b.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 12

KenH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The 345 width won't be a problem for you, but the MT's are 27.5" tall, so if your car is lowered, you could possibly run into rubbing problems due to the height.

I just picked up a set of the MT 345/18's and had them mounted on my stock rims. I got them mainly for the drags and I haven't put them on the car yet, but they sure look like they ought to hook well. Very soft soft compound, so I can't image them lasting very long on the street. Also seem like they would be picking up a lot of gravel on the street.

I'm not running enough power (600RWHP) to warrant running them all the time, plus I like the twisties as well and we do get rain here in Oregon. Unless you are running a lot of power or only play a quarter mile at a time, I'd stick with something that is more of an all around tire. I think the PS2 is hard to beat, though I hear a lot of good things about the Nittos as well.

BigBadViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I will agree with what Ken said. They do pick up some small gravel on the street. Don't know about how long they last. Yes, I do drive mine on the street, but not a whole lot. Drove about 40 miles the other day, it isn't that I can't drive on the street, I just usually don't. Most of the time I put it on a trailer and drive it to a track. I don't think burnouts do much for tire life either.

Canyon707

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is only what the MT tech guy told me. I didn't make this up. I have some MT drag radials I just find there a bit loose. even with 12 psi. It may have been the track that day not sure but even loose in 2nd gear.

BigBadViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is only what the MT tech guy told me. I didn't make this up. I have some MT drag radials I just find there a bit loose. even with 12 psi. It may have been the track that day not sure but even loose in 2nd gear.

What do you mean by loose. Last time I was running mine at 17PSI at the track and about 20-22 on the street.

Canyon707

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was getting sideways in 2nd gear. That I consider loose. I have a line lock and do a burnout before comming to the line. I think maybe there just worn to a point that the tire is just not as sticky as when new. Maybe to many burnouts. Still tread left on the tires I was thinking of having them shaved a bit. to freshen the rubber. I was thinking they may be glazed over some. Normal run are 11.7 123 mph 1.7 60' Last runs never saw 11 sec speeds 118 so there is an issue with traction. Maybe it's just time for some new drag tires. I ran psi from 25 down to 12 with really not much change. The last Summit Drag race the MT Rep told me to try 12 psi I did and at that time it was really hooking up but now LOOSE on the line and and 2nd so loose I have to get out of the throttle.

lead foot dan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was getting sideways in 2nd gear. That I consider loose. I have a line lock and do a burnout before comming to the line. I think maybe there just worn to a point that the tire is just not as sticky as when new. Maybe to many burnouts. Still tread left on the tires I was thinking of having them shaved a bit. to freshen the rubber. I was thinking they may be glazed over some. Normal run are 11.7 123 mph 1.7 60' Last runs never saw 11 sec speeds 118 so there is an issue with traction. Maybe it's just time for some new drag tires. I ran psi from 25 down to 12 with really not much change. The last Summit Drag race the MT Rep told me to try 12 psi I did and at that time it was really hooking up but now LOOSE on the line and and 2nd so loose I have to get out of the throttle.

not to change topics but i have noticed the amount of fuel in the tank can be a factor on how the car feels if very low on fuel can act very squirly i generaly stay over half

banton

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Whats the down fall to this?? Thanks guys!!

Like most have already touched on.....

- not very good for spirited cornering
- tire life is pretty short
- tend to sand-blast your panels as they pick up and throw lots of road debris on your painted panels.
- be careful if you get on it when it is cool outside or caught on wet roads

Canyon707

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The fuel thing may play into this but, I normally run about a 1/4 tank I have yet to make a decision on what to do for next Wed but, I just may try them again and see.

lead foot dan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The fuel thing may play into this but, I normally run about a 1/4 tank I have yet to make a decision on what to do for next Wed but, I just may try them again and see.

if consistantly run one way then i would take that factor out..we have been experiencing a different situation at tracks this year i dont know what one u race at but we race midwest and down south there has been a huge amount pollen and dust on the tracks and can cause havoc on set up, have multi vipers and drag radial car and small tire car....run ortc and nmca extreme street with radials and small slick... huge power...

1fast400

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What is not good to do, is to get new Invo's put on and forget they are set at around 40lbs and trying to make a run haha. That happened to me last night. After a 20lb drop I finally got something to hook haha.

FATHERFORD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Although not a drag radial, I run the NT05's and they hook pretty darn good for what the are... I've heard the NT05R's are even sticker.

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
The NTO5R's hook up very well so far.

The street ride is very acceptable too.

Not sure how long they'll last on the street as I just put them on a few weeks ago but the rubber compound is very soft.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang