Is This the Right Rotation Direction For Slotted Rotors?

cayman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I had a Vette fella tell me my rotors are rotating the wrong direction at a cruise in this weekend. These are Pro-stop and there were no left/right markings on them. I always thought the end of the slot nearest the outer edge of the rotor should make contact with the disk pad first. Is this right? :confused:
View is front driver's side. Ignore the broom handle.
10352wheel10-med.JPG

Shelby3

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My eradispeeds were marked and are installed as yours are pictured.

DEVILDOG

VCA Member North TX
Reaction score
My StopTech 2-piece fronts as part of their FRONT BIG BRAKE KIT were marked to go that direction. The OEM sized, single piece, slotted rears that I got from StopTech that were not part of their BIG Brake Kit were marked to go the other direction and that's the way I mounted them. So I have them going both directions per the instructions...go figure. :confused:

bloose

Viper Owner
Reaction score
As a side note, at Viper Days Mid-Ohio we were marveling at the C6 Corvettes (2 of them) that were getting new brake pads. Apparently GM is sourcing ONLY left side rotors for front and back, and flipping them around for the right side of the car. The rotors aren't slotted on the sides that you can see, but inbetween the metal plates that the pads contact there are also vents or slots that are used to cool the inside of the rotor, and if you flip the rotor around they go the wrong way for proper cooling. The right side brakes MUST be running quite a bit hotter.

Is this common practice on all Corvettes? A mistake at the factory? Or are they just passing the savings on to you ;)

Bonkers

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
I think you want to get rid of the heat, not push it towards the center.

I could be wrong, but I think those outside slots are designed for gas build-
up, not heat dissapation. Same with the drill holes. The vents sandwiched
inside the two plates of rotor dictate direction. On my Eradispeeds the
internal vents cross-hatched the the outside vents meaning they were mounted as
you see there. The Powerslots I had on my honda were the opposite so they were
mounted the other direction. Factory rotors are nuetral so they can be put on
either side.

Fast Freddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had a Vette fella tell me my rotors are rotating the wrong direction at a cruise in this weekend. These are Pro-stop and there were no left/right markings on them. I always thought the end of the slot nearest the outer edge of the rotor should make contact with the disk pad first. Is this right? :confused:
View is front driver's side. Ignore the broom handle.
10352wheel10-med.JPG

these rotors are installed incorrectly. :rolleyes:

OP
OP
C

cayman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Three says I have them oriented correctly versus two non-correct. Two sounds like it depends on the brand. I'm concluding it doesn't matter, just pick one direction and go with it. :rolleyes: Brembo says for their rotors the outer edge of the slot should contact the pads first when rotating foward direction. Mine aren't Brembo and I'm currently trying to get a hold of the manufacturer for their take. I don't know why one manufacturer would say one direction and another the opposite if the vanes are straight and not angled. I guess different maunfacturers have their own technical reasoning.

TXViper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The question is: What is the direction of the cooling fins?

I think the direction of the slots and drilled holes is not important. Being that way, they just look awkward a little. The most important thing is the direction of the cooling fins that are inside the rotor. If the direction of the cooling fins is the same as the slots and holes, then the rotor is placed wrong. However, if the direction of the cooling fins is opposite the direction of the slots and holes, like the picture shown below, then the rotor is placed right.

You must be registered for see images

If the cooling fins are undirectional then you could place the rotor in any way that you like.

OP
OP
C

cayman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks TX. I confirmed with the manufacturer that the fins are unidirectional therefore they can be installed whichever way. :2tu:

The question is: What is the direction of the cooling fins?

I think the direction of the slots and drilled holes is not important. Being that way, they just look awkward a little. The most important thing is the direction of the cooling fins that are inside the rotor. If the direction of the cooling fins is the same as the slots and holes, then the rotor is placed wrong. However, if the direction of the cooling fins is opposite the direction of the slots and holes, like the picture shown below, then the rotor is placed right.

You must be registered for see images

If the cooling fins are undirectional then you could place the rotor in any way that you like.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang