Is your mechanic cheating you?

Gerald Levin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
After seeing the Jimster post about the dealership abusing his car and seeing the below video it sort of makes you want to control your own destiny by doing the work yourself. Here is a long but good 10 1/2 min video on Jiffy Lube charging for filters and tranny flushes that never took place:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wiCAJ8ULnaI

Personally I have never changed the oil myself but that is going to change.
Anyone ever get cheated or suspect being cheated after taking their car in for service?

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anyone ever get cheated or suspect being cheated after taking their car in for service?
No, because I am fortunate enough to have my car serviced exclusively by the Wiz... :2tu:

OP
OP
G

Gerald Levin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You guys on that right coast have several great dealers to choose from. If I was within 200 mi of any of the "big names" I wouldn't be doing any of my own stuff either. Not that I'm doing any of it now but I've got a dealer here in Indy that I trust.

ViperJoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm my mechanic, and I make it a point never to cheat myself!

A service manual AND this HERE place are THE best resources in the world for your Viper

Dave T (BADVENM)

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I felt cheated by a well known dealership (Viper) when they charged me 30% more then the estimate (10K vs 7K) to put the Paxton supercharger back on my SRT Ram (the one that blew the motor on the dyno after recently being purchased from another well known dealer who didnt tell me/neglected to tell me the truck was running an unknown amount of nitrous/propane injection before taking it off and putting on a Paxton). Otherwise, I dont think or feel I've been cheated.

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Being in the auto industry for 5+years, I've met exactly 2 mechanics I'd trust to work on my Viper. I do the basic stuff myself, but when its something that I dont have the tools/machines to do, I get them to do it and they have always treated me fairly.

snakebitdave

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The very first time I paid to have my oil changed could have ruined my engine. Had supper that night, went out to get in the car and noticed a huge puddle of oil on the pavement. Turns out the "mechanic" only turned the drain plug in one or two threads.

G

grcforce327

Got done with my machanic's laundry,and found my money clip in his pants pocket!That "SOB"! He's grounded for a month! :D :D :D

Mopar488

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would never leave my Viper overnight at the dealer unless it is broke down. I also ask if I can go in the back while my car is worked on. Due to insurance regs, a lot of dealers won't let you. I trust my guy, but the same dealer has caused me concern in the past. There are a few dealers on this site that I would trust completely and the first one that comes to mind is Tators from the great PR and my dealings on the phone. I would leave my car there at any time. Too bad I am so far away from NY.

Viper Scot

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Ted May at Valaya Racing? I paid exactly what he quoted me for some substantial work recently, despite him doing some extra bits for me that were not in the estimate...

Mike Red 97 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not my mechanic but the instant oil changes have tried. My wife had her oil changed at one of the instant oil change places, they told her that it looked like the original fuel filter on her car and that it needed to be changed. She told them that she has it replaced every 30,000 miles and it was just done 20,000 miles ago so leave it alone. Then he looked at her transmission fluid (while the car was off) and told her it should be changed the color was not good. She told him it was fine that she gets it done every fall and there was nothing wrong with the color or the level because she had just checked it the day before. Once they were done with the oil change he check the oil level by just pulling out the dip stick and told her it was fine. She said wipe off the dip stick put it back in, pull it out then show me that it is truly filled up properly, he did it but was not happy. From there she drove straight home and rechecked all her fluids and had me looked under the car for any leaks. She just sold her 99 Grand Prix with 180,000 miles on it which was still running great; she has always been the type of person who knows what maintenance needs to be done and when and how it should be done.

But when it comes to the Viper I do it myself.

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ted May at Valaya Racing? I paid exactly what he quoted me for some substantial work recently, despite him doing some extra bits for me that were not in the estimate...

I stopped by Valaya just to show my friend around to see a bunch of Vipers in one location. Ran into Ted, and told him I might be bringing my snake in to have my AC checked soon. He insists I pull my snake in now, and fills up my AC... tells me to call him when and if it stops blowing cold again. Wouldn't take a penny. It's been 2 months and still blowing cold. :2tu:

Sure I can probably save a little money going somewhere else NOT 2 hrs away, but service and trust is #1 with anyone working on a nice car.

Mr U-2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I used a Quik Change place when I lived in Florida but I requested to be in the Pit to observe. I'm sure the Viper generated the great treatment I always received. Now in Virginia I let the local Dealer do it...a Viper Tech is on duty..and so far all's well.

Paul :usa:

twinturbo3150

Enthusiast
Reaction score
just took my ford f350 into jiffy lube to get the oil changed, I told them oil ONLY they said OK. They come back to tell me that my diff fluid is contaminated, they took me to there hole in the ground and popped the plug and said see there's metal shaveing comeing out of your diff, we should change it for you. I told them NO, they told me my diff will blow if I dont, I told them no. They told me that my radiator cap is bad and needed to be changed, I told them NO. I went home and pulled the diff cover suspecting they put something in my diff. Everything looked OK and no metal shaveing were found in the diff. Took radiator cap and had it tested and it was fine, You just never know what there doing under the car when the tech is in the Pit. Be careful.

RAYSIR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Too bad there has to be dishonest businesses. There is little customer service in this world nowdays. Seems everyone is out to get the fast buck and doesn't care how they do it. Employees only care about paychecks. The dishonest repair shops also hurt the honest ones by making it harder for them to explain thier repairs, always doubt in the customers minds. Same time we have dishonest dentists, doctors and attorneys. Years ago you never heard these stories. :confused:

rcdice

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hope the H*ll not as I'm taking my car in later this a.m. They will be keeping it until mid next week as I'll be out of town for several days and won't be able to pick it up. In the past, they've been very good when they've had it. Always keep in inside the entire time it's there. Last time I got it back cleaner than when I dropped it off (if that's possible). Same dealer is also a Lamborghini dealer and also has other exotic and muscle cars there. I figure my Viper is in good company. Let's hope so!

I always tip the Viper tech for a little extra TLC with my car. :usa: :usa: :usa: :usa:

AviP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't trust most techs (or is it their managers). I do my own service on all vehicles and take the Viper to Chuck/Rob for the complex stuff.

Mr U-2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So FL...I moved to Virginia from the Panhandle so no help on a S Florida Viper Tech, but I'm sure others here can assist you.Good luck.

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not my mechanic but the instant oil changes have tried. My wife had her oil changed at one of the instant oil change places, they told her that it looked like the original fuel filter on her car and that it needed to be changed. She told them that she has it replaced every 30,000 miles and it was just done 20,000 miles ago so leave it alone.

Fuel filter only every 30k miles?!

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Biggest problem with my "mechwizard" is that he WON'T do some of the work I want. How can you trust a guy who stops you from wasting your money? ;)

syldogRT/10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I had a friend who use to work at Jiffy Lube when we were in high school (I'm 38 now). He use to tell me all the time how no one would ever do the work and they would be charged for all kinds of things that never took place. Guess that's why I always take my cars to a reputable place and always watch the service being performed!

Mike Red 97 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not my mechanic but the instant oil changes have tried. My wife had her oil changed at one of the instant oil change places, they told her that it looked like the original fuel filter on her car and that it needed to be changed. She told them that she has it replaced every 30,000 miles and it was just done 20,000 miles ago so leave it alone.

Fuel filter only every 30k miles?!

Yes, it is a 99 Grand Prix, her Saturn SL is every 100,000 miles.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte