Issues buying a canadian viper gts?

andymo1972

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Besides the speedo conversion, are there any gotcha's with buying a viper that was once in Canada? Emissions, etc.?? The car is registered in the US now but not in an emissions state and the speedo still needs to be converted which seems to be about a $500-600 job including setting the new speedo to the correct miles. Are there any performance differences in the cars that were sent "up there"? Thanks in advance for your help...Andy.

Craig 201 MPH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As far as I know the speedo and daytime running lamps are about it. no performance differences. Is your state an emissions state? Here in ontario we had to get our 96 GTS tested and it passed easily, it's stock.

Craig

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I imported a '94. Emissions was no problem (will need to keep a copy of EPA statement) and I had to convert seatbelts from on-the-floor Canadian type (would be similar to air bag car belts) to the roll-up-in-the-door type (and get DOT statement that it now conformed.)

I did not *have* to convert the speedo (the oil pressure and water temp are also metric units) since both mph and kph are there, just that mph is in the smaller numbers. The importer taped a note to the dash reminding me to look at the "other" numbers for the US.

I changed speedos later, it's very, very simple. Remove dash, two screws that hold the gauge in, and unplug the wire. Reverse order to install. Why change the odometer? I took a picture of the old and new side by side for my records, and I've been told the ECU stores real odometer values anyway. The only gotcha is if you go to the dealer for service and they want an odometer value to see if it's still under warranty... but then we're back to the ECU.

Just make sure you have the EPA and DOT statements; while I haven't sold mine, it seems like the type of paperwork that any future buyer might need to get the car registered in their name. Since the VIN will flag the car as non-US, somewhere down the line you'll need proof of a legal importation.

ACELLR8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok, another question if the car was once a Canada car would it affect the value of the car, therefore making the value of the car lower.

I assume myself and andymo1972 might be looking at the same Red with With Stripes GTS, that was once a Canada car. Great Price, almost seems to good to be true.

genXgts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If the car is down in FL, Naples Motor Sports maybe? do a search on this board, you'll find a huge discussion on the car, I think it had been repainted, at least the lower half if I recall....

OP
OP
A

andymo1972

Enthusiast
Reaction score
as far as i know, the car is in New Mexico, within 5 hrs of my house, makes it an easy trip to just "check out" the car. And it actually has 27000 miles (43000 kilometers on odometer), not 24000 like the ad says...but hey, what's 3000 miles right...hahaha

Roysviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bought a 1996 GTS from a man in Montreal........It was a Canadian spec Viper...... I registered it here in Florida and loved it.....IT only had about 9000 mi on it when I got it.........I felt the Canadian spec car was worth more to everyone, especially if it was a collector type person because there were only a few of each year made with Canadian specs for shipment to Canada. Then that was broken down to a few being 96 GTS and a few RT 10s......which to me was kinda rare...Mine was like new, and everyone here loved the daytime running lights on it and the gauges and speedo....I would NEVER take one with the original, from the factory and change a thing.........Leave it like it is and show it like it is...It makes it different.....I believe the value would be hurt changing a thing on it......I had all the paperwork telling how many Dodge made for shipment to Canada, what the difference was and I liked the data plate on the car saying that it was built by Dodge for Canada, etc.......I always used my Garmin for my speedo which told me how fast I was actually going, but the speedo is in Kilos and MPH just flip flopped like our regular one is vise versa....It was just easier for me to look at my Garmin with my old eyes......and I had no problem understanding the other gauges......I liked mine a lot.....and everyone I ever met here in the states liked it and thought it was interesting like it was.....I don't know where it is now.....why would you think it to be worth less than any other Viper that was built by Dodge to be a low number. or low whatever makin it unique or different? I got all my info from the VCA breakdown on the different years and models and specs and such made by Dodge and ran it off and kept it with the car in a folder. The guy I bought it from bought 3 brand new in 1996 GTSs with Canadian specs and had them sent to him in Canada...He is a big racer there....His name is Michael Pilon.....He immediately pulled the motors out new Vipers and put in his special race motors and trans in them and raced them over there and he has a few Viper factory racecars also.....He only put a handful of miles on the bodies racing, never wrecked or anything then put the motors and trans back in that came in them so the motors only had around 3000 mi on them and the bodies around 11,000 on it.....They were like new still....he has mechanics and they were kept inside a big warehouse etc......all kinds of racing Viper motors on stands, etc and a pretty big operation........

I just wanted to dwell on your comment about being worth less and you wanting to change things like the speedo.....my 2 cents....

Ok, another question if the car was once a Canada car would it affect the value of the car, therefore making the value of the car lower.

I assume myself and andymo1972 might be looking at the same Red with With Stripes GTS, that was once a Canada car. Great Price, almost seems to good to be true.

Roysviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
also if you read the forum on here about the person just receiving word on his order for his STRYKER VIPER being with Canadian specs built for Canada for him....do you think his is worth less because of it? I sure don't believe so........I am very happy for that person.....

slitherv10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Its funny, but,

When we see US cars here for sale.. any car really, they are always priced lower than Canadian cars. Also, the Canadian market for these cars and most exotics are always more pricey. I feel the reason for lower values in the US over Canada is that in the states a car with a salvage title that was bought and re registered in a different state that allows title changes and re-vins, makes it difficult for many to follow the true identity of that car. Up here in Canada, you cant fiddle around with vin numbers and re branding as easy as it is down there in certain states. States to state has different laws and regulations making it easier to hide imperfections or past history of certain cars. Flood damaged cars or government seizures etc...

I think, as Roysviper says, Canadian cars being so rare and limited makes them more collectable and certainly more rare in numbers than US manufactured vehicles. Supply and demand.

Darth Menace

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How did you end up finding a canadian viper cheaper than american. I found they were at least $10,000 more for the same car...which is why I bought it American