jack stands

SBMIANO

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sending my wheels outand have to put the car on stands for a month... where do I place the stands, and where do I jack it up from... 2009 vert.

Thanks

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
nothing personal, but if you have to ask, you probably shouldn't be doing it....

and a service manual or user manual should have this info

gb66gth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Look under the car.
There are small, black, triangular hard points sticking out under the car, point facing the ground.
They about three to four inches from the edge of the car. The front one is about four inches behing the front wheelwell opening, the rear one is about six inches in front of the rear wheelwell opening.
Be careful.
And show us what the wheels look like when they come back!

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Read this thread AND my links...BE CAREFUL !!!

I am not happy with the proximity
of the front tabs to the wheelwells.

rudedawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Put mine up in November to get new wheels and tires. Jacked mine up from the D/S and put a wood block under the wheel, I then moved the jack further under the car and was able to lift it so I could get both front jack stands in position. Like gb66gth mentioned there are black V-shaped points about 6" after the front wheel,that is where you put the jack stand.I then lifted the rear of the car with the jack under the rear end and put the rear jack stands on the V-shaped lifting points which are 6" in front of the rear wheel. Worked out great no problems,I will mention I have a zero clearence floor jack. Hope this helps you out.

OP
OP
S

SBMIANO

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Guys and to the guy that replyed I shouldnt do this... I simply wanted to know where to put them to avoid any damage. There is always one or two out there.

J&R3xV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
nothing personal, but if you have to ask, you probably shouldn't be doing it....

clearly you have not tried to do this on a newer viper as things down there have changed a bit from the gen1-2 models. Its not as easy as one might think. everything is covered and with such a low clearance its very difficult to see what your doing. I commend him for asking instead of just guessing and hoping for the best.

Without a zero clearance jack you may need to drive up on blocks to have enough room for the jack without damaging the side sills. I use 2x6x3 planks stacked stagered.

Yellow32

Enthusiast
Reaction score

...actually, I think it is a perfect question to ask, I definitely would want to know what the preferred lift points and 'jack stand' locations are...

Actually the 2009 manual does *not* have any indicators of where the lift points are or where to put jack stands!

yes, if you look underneath it is pretty obvious from the "upside down triangles" on the frame rails where you would jack up the car...

and under the motor are some obvious frames for jack stands

but at the rear, there is a cover over everything you would "cup" a stand under so you have to put the stand on an edge under the cover, not the best arrangement...

but, just the same, I looked at my books this weekend and nothing in the user manual or ACR supplement!

-J

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
LOL Plum getting nailed. But I gotta admit it was a funny reply.

Nothing wrong with asking the question SBMIANO. We're always happy to help. So when you gonna become VCA member?

gb66gth

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Hey rudedawg, I think plumcrazy has an answer for you too!:lmao:

Just kidding, I can barely cut,copy,and paste, myself.:D

LifeIsGood

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here you go...

Goto your User CP (Control Panel)
Choose Pictures & Albums (under Networking)
Choose Add Album
Enter a Title (rudedawg's pictures :dunno:) and hit Submit
Choose 'Click here to upload pictures!'
Choose 'Browse'
Point to one of your pictures (probably somewhere on your hard drive)
Choose Upload Pictures
Choose Save Changes
Done

Then when you're in a post...choose the 'Insert Image' icon (looks like mountains with a sun/moon) and put in the URL of the picture from your album...it will look something like this...
http://forums.viperclub.org/picture.php?albumid=56&pictureid=669

You can find this URL by opening up another window/tab...
going to the VCA Forum site
Choose your User CP
Choose Pictures & Albums (under Networking)
Choose an album
Choose a picture
The Picture URL will be noted under the picture
Cut and paste that URL back in your post

Give it a try!

VicTxV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey LifeIsGood, here's a dum question. How do you put photo's up on a thread. If I could find out how I'll put them up.

If you want to email them to me, I'll post them here for you.

I'll PM you my email.

Maybe when pics are posted, this can be moved/copied over to the "how to" section for Gen 3/4 jack placement. This question gets asked a lot.

Shandon

Enthusiast
Reaction score

OUCH! :omg:

Plum must be snowed in too:lmao:

Everybody has to start somewhere. The best way to do that is ask.........

Anyway what people posted above. If its like a GenIII then it easy!

Reaction score
This is what I do,

Jack up one side of the car from the rear jack triangle high enough to get a stand under the front frame area inside of cat holes that is triangulated. Lower car and repeat on other side. Now when you jack the rear up again the whole rear of the car will elevate at once. Place your stands with a small block of wood on top under one of the bolts that hold the belly pan on each side back by the rear tires. Now slowly lower the jack and check placement as you do it insure nothing has shifted.

Reverse for letting it down.

VicTxV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is what I do,

Jack up one side of the car from the rear jack triangle high enough to get a stand under the front frame area inside of cat holes that is triangulated. Lower car and repeat on other side. Now when you jack the rear up again the whole rear of the car will elevate at once. Place your stands with a small block of wood on top under one of the bolts that hold the belly pan on each side back by the rear tires. Now slowly lower the jack and check placement as you do it insure nothing has shifted.

And this man would know!!:2tu:

okloneranger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Four wood blocks (12x12x12) are a part of what I use when working under my Viper once a small floor jack (lifting at the 4 jacking points) raises the car high enough to slide the blocks under the frame. The frame is bullet proof and so stiff, and you can move the blocks around to different areas of the frame which will allow you access to any area under the car. I also put blocks of 2x6 and 2x4 on top of the big blocks to get more clearance. I put strips of 1/8 sheet robber on top of the wood before lowering the jack. Those four big blocks are not going to turn over on me or let the Viper slide off. It takes a little time but it's cheap and super stable. I use hard oak pieces on the lift pad of the jack. Paint never gets banged up.

gb66gth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is what I do,

Are you putting your jack under the rear diff housing, in order to lift the whole rear at once?

Reaction score
Are you putting your jack under the rear diff housing, in order to lift the whole rear at once?

NO! The rear can be lifted entirely by the rear point on one side ;) the frame is stiff enough to do this. I would not stress the diff housing if you don't have to.

OP
OP
S

SBMIANO

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well followed marks advise last nite and got the car up. wheels leave monday for calchrome and then I decided to replace the rotors with eurotech slotted and drilled. Should look cool with the chrome rims. Only advice I would give on jacking up the car is when you put the rear jacks on the frame along the metal pan you should put a 1/16 inch piece of wood between the frame and the metal pan so it will not disform. seemed to work well.

Thanks to all for their input

fhrzr1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This works so much better !!!!!
Use the regular jacking points on the Gen 3. Then place the jack under each hub using the adapter .

You must be registered for see images attach

Attachments

• 2005 Viper Jacks 5.jpg
    2005 Viper Jacks 5.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 5

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sloth