Jacking up the rear when changing the oil

Bandit400

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Where is the best place to position the floor jack in order to jack up the rear of the car? I plan on changing the oil and I need to get the car level. The front of the car will be on ramps. The service manual isn't very clear on the jack point. Also, what is everyones opinion on the magnet for the oil filter? Where do I get one? Thanks.
:)
Bandit400

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You must have some special ramps.

Anyway the jack point for the rear are at the loop like the front, but just in front of the rear tire. Or you can lift from the rear frame rails.

No need for a magnet.

Got Venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow you guys are crazy. I used to just use some newspaper to back up over so I could fit my jack under the car. Then I got more civilized and used a 4 X 4 about 2 feet long and sawed it with a taper from 1/4" to the top and left about 9" of flat. Now I just back up on this board on my driver side, so I can get the jack under my Eibach lowered car, and then jack it up on the loops, and use 4 jack stands that are rated 3-1/2 ton each, and I have the whole car up on jacks and level in 5 minutes. The car is so stiff, and the jacking points are in such a position, that when you jack up the driver side, and then let the car settle back on the jack stand, the passenger side pivots up in the air. The go over to that side and jack it up a little less than the driver side, and you are done with the front. Then to the back side loops just in front of the back tire on the driver side and jack it way up and put a jack stand under this side and the oil will drain out better, because you are actually leaning the car more toward the drain hole. Where in the heck are you going to store those big giant ramps that weigh 80 pounds each???

OP
OP
B

Bandit400

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Call me crazy but I am not a fan of getting under the car when it is only supported by four jackstands. It only takes a good bump of the car to potentially knock the car off of the stands. With the ramps and rear supported by jack stands, only the rear of the car could potentiall fall down. Since I will be in the front of the car changing the oil, I have less of a chance getting crushed and I don't need that to happen.

As far as storage, not a concern as I have plenty of garage space. As far as the weight, they are about 35 lbs each. I only have to move them a few feet so this is not a concern.

Bandit400

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Call me crazy but I am not a fan of getting under the car when it is only supported by four jackstands. It only takes a good bump of the car to potentially knock the car off of the stands.

It would take considerably more than a "good bump." I know I couldn't knock a Viper off jackstands. But you do what you feel safe doing, that's what is important.