Jeep steering system?

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There seems to be talk from time to time how parts are interchangeable on our vipers with other cars. I see on another post how a Jeep uses the same resiovor (sp?) cap at the Viper. That's funny, I've heard that the Viper uses the SAME steering rack pump, etc as a Jeep product.. Does anyone know if these are a direct replacement? For some reason, this is hush hush stuff..

Gerald

Bonkers

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Gerald:
I've heard that the Viper uses the SAME steering rack pump, etc as the Viper.. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The conspiracies will never end....
smile.gif

OP
OP
G

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You guys mock me, but when you pay 1,000 for a part (steering rack,etc) and you can get it for a couple hundred (NEW).. watch out..
smile.gif

Do you think Dodge created a new power steering system for the Viper as a stand alone? Aren't you guys getting tired of getting gouged? Is't a legit question that I bet you would be suprised at..

Gerald

Gerald

EXECMALIBU

Enthusiast
Reaction score
most manufacturers use outside suppliers!

back in the 70s i needed a side light for my bmw.. i noticed that porsche and mercedes also used the same side light..

the light from bmw cost $28.. the light from porsche was $21.. and the same light from mercedes was only $12.

i also found that the
distributor was the same as vw ect ect..

rolls royce and vw use the same seatbelt retractors (kangol) quess which company charges $397 and which charges $38... each car company sets their own resale prices often for the same parts!

the same is true for many of the us built cars especially if they are from the same manufacturer like dc!

i am sure there are many jeep parts on the viper..gas cap,relays, switches,windows motors, ect...

The Joker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Paul Hawker:
Amazing enough it is true..In addition the 4wd system is a simple bolt on. You can convert your Viper to a awesome 4 wheeel drive (Only on gen II) in just a few hours in your garage.
The porsche guys were bragging about their Carrera 4, until I cleaned their clock with my new GTS 4.
laugh.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That was funny
laugh.gif

But I see your point Gerald.

SoCal Rebell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow, well I use my '01 Jeep GC 4X4 V8 to tow my snake to the track, now I know if I have a problem at the track I can canabalize the Jeep and keep racing
laugh.gif

OP
OP
G

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SoCal Rebell:
Wow, well I use my '01 Jeep GC 4X4 V8 to tow my snake to the track, now I know if I have a problem at the track I can canabalize the Jeep and keep racing
laugh.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, so far I've found out that the Viper CAN use the Jeep high pressure hose and it's of better quality. When I finish my diggin, perhaps I'll share the info..
laugh.gif

Gerald

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gerald...No mocking intended, just having some fun.

You are absolutely right. Many parts on the Viper come from the Daimler Chryler parts bin. This keeps the price down, and they do not need to reinvent the wheel for each component.
Yes shopping around for the same part from different vendors can sometimes save lots of money.

The ashtray comes from a K-car!

embarass.gif

MichaelP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Gerald:
Well, so far I've found out that the Viper CAN use the Jeep high pressure hose and it's of better quality. When I finish my diggin, perhaps I'll share the info..
laugh.gif

Gerald

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey Gerald I do not doubt it for a second.

<FONT size="-2">Hey even if you don't tell everyone what you find out you still will tell me wont you&gt; PLEASE!</FONT s>

Jay Herbert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My experience has been the "parts bins" parts are priced similarly to their non-Viper counterparts. The Vipers Steering column is the Jeep part people are speaking of
smile.gif
Rack is Viper specific though
frown.gif

If we start an area for people to post the part numbers of "parts-bins" parts and their descriptions, would y'all fill it up?

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Amazing enough it is true..In addition the 4wd system is a simple bolt on. You can convert your Viper to a awesome 4 wheeel drive (Only on gen II) in just a few hours in your garage.
The porsche guys were bragging about their Carrera 4, until I cleaned their clock with my new GTS 4.
laugh.gif