Junkman's 2-Bucket Car Wash Technique

Junkman2008

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well folks, this long awaited video series is finally up and running! In these videos, I talk about and show my method of a 2-bucket wash. From start to finish, I cover every step in how to wash a car without creating damage to the paint. Every step in this process is critical to the preservation of your paint and as most of you know, I have the paint to show for it. For those who don't know, I'll provide the pictorial proof.

So sit back, watch and enjoy. This video series, like all the other ones that I have done is not absent of my usual screw ups. What can I say, it's another "brutha' in his garage production!"

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w09r6m6sRCA[/media]

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lWAbo3RvW_A[/media]

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQklBySgv9M[/media]

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWnbAxhjgrE[/media]

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnjeHGhFepw[/media]

Pics of my paint...

You must be registered for see images

That's all folks! :thumb:

The Junkman

Slithr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Junkman,

I want to thank you for the hours you've devoted to helping the novice (me) learn how to care for our hot rods :) (let lone you're service to our Country) :usa:

I have watched hours of you're and Adam's videos, and spoke with Dylan....Top notch customer service BTW!

Here are my results to date, not quite junkman status... but still polishing :smirk: Fortunately, I consider that part of the "hobby" :D

WIP:

Attachments

• IMG_0260.jpg
    IMG_0260.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_0261.jpg
    IMG_0261.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
OP
OP
J

Junkman2008

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Keep this in mind. I was at the same point that you consider yourself at one time also. There's no shortcut or magical rode to get to where you want to be j ustso jump on board, hang on and enjoy the ride. You'll be perfecting paint before you know it. :2tu:

Thanks for the kudos!

wiplash

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Never considered the hazards to paint from simple washing. Now i know. I have a two year old paint job with some very minor swirls in the clear coat. Do you recommend a product or process to remove something like like? Can most paint jobs be buffed or polished to your standards?

OP
OP
J

Junkman2008

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The answer to your question is more about the process than it is about the product. The process I have detailed in a bunch of threads here but I'll shoot you a link to make finding the information a little easier. :)

08Venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The info you provide is so appreciated and beneficial.Despite trying to be meticulously careful during my washings I have always ended up with a certain degree of swirling and scratching.I am going to incorporate your techniques into my washing starting next spring,when she comes out of hibernation.Thanks again.

OP
OP
J

Junkman2008

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Glad I can help. Let me know how it goes and if I can be of any more assistance.

Synergy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That paint looks amazing! :2tu::2tu::2tu: The 2 Bucket Car Wash Technique is a must when washing a car!!! If your looking for "Junkman" paint, this is the best way to start! Here are some pictures of a Viper that received the 2 Bucket Car Wash Technique...

You must be registered for see images attach

thompsonracing

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Can't wait to watch them when I get home! I know you've been working on these for a while. Oh, BTW, package is in the mail! (I'm setting myself up for an AJ joke!)

OP
OP
J

Junkman2008

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can't wait to watch them when I get home! I know you've been working on these for a while. Oh, BTW, package is in the mail! (I'm setting myself up for an AJ joke!)

:rolaugh:

Oh wait until you watch them. There's a special little treat for you in them! :D

TheMilkman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was planning on posting a thread about my Viper needing a really good wash with a little help on a few swirls. I even have the pictures ready at home. I'll have to get the thread started tonight so I can do a before and after posting.

With some time off coming up for the holidays it was looking like a great time to finally get to really cleaning off the Viper. I still have rubber in some hard to reach places from the track at VOI 11. :rolleyes: Been out of town too much since to have time devoted to the cleaning.

I can't wait to watch over the videos. I saw the swirl removal videos a while back, but might just rewatch the whole series before I begin.

I was wondering if I was going to do a 2 bucket wash and work on removing some swirls do you still need to clay in between? It seems the work with removing swirls would also smooth out and remove imperfections as well. My paint is only 2 years old, so I don't think it's too bad, but it needs work before it gets worse. I was just wondering if I still needed to clay.
2 Bucket, clay, rinse, swirl, rinse, wax,
I think was the proposed process. It's just that claying looks like a LOT of elbow grease if you are doing a whole car.

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
:omg: crazy good outcome - hope my car never sees this thread :D

thanks for posting your fine vids

:eyecrazy: get a viper junkman :eyecrazy: get a viper

:D

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the great videos, Junkman.
You really need to come over to the dark side when you tire of that Vette.....;)

Synergy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was planning on posting a thread about my Viper needing a really good wash with a little help on a few swirls. I even have the pictures ready at home. I'll have to get the thread started tonight so I can do a before and after posting.

With some time off coming up for the holidays it was looking like a great time to finally get to really cleaning off the Viper. I still have rubber in some hard to reach places from the track at VOI 11. :rolleyes: Been out of town too much since to have time devoted to the cleaning.

I can't wait to watch over the videos. I saw the swirl removal videos a while back, but might just rewatch the whole series before I begin.

I was wondering if I was going to do a 2 bucket wash and work on removing some swirls do you still need to clay in between? It seems the work with removing swirls would also smooth out and remove imperfections as well. My paint is only 2 years old, so I don't think it's too bad, but it needs work before it gets worse. I was just wondering if I still needed to clay.
I think was the proposed process. It's just that claying looks like a LOT of elbow grease if you are doing a whole car.

Clay is my favorite part about detailing, and probably the most important. It cleans EVERYTHING and leaves the paint with a nice, smooth, clean surface. This will also lead to better results in your following steps. Adams Clay is AWESOME! We recently picked up some of their clay and couldnt be happier. It works great and is reusable time after time. Junkman has a bunch of videos about clay bar as well, be sure to check them out.

I agree with what Jon said! :headbang:

OP
OP
J

Junkman2008

Enthusiast
Reaction score

First off, claying IS a lot of elbow grease but anything worth doing is worth doing right. Remember, we are not fixing Toyota's here, this is a Viper we are talking about. Thus, if your car needs to be clayed, you owe it to your paint.

With that said, we need to first get you a thorough understanding of what claying is, what it does and when it is necessary. There is absolutely nothing that replaces the process of claying. Claying is the only thing that does what claying does so don't bother looking for a work around, there is none. You can find every thing you need to know about claying in a write-up I did located here.

The detailing process that you mentioned should be crystal clear as to the order. Everything is done for a specific reason and in a specific order. Once you understand why you are doing what needs to be done, the order is common sense. This entire process is not something that you will do every time you detail your car. You only perform the steps necessary as they are called for when you inspect your paint.

An example that I like to use it with gas. You know that your car needs gas to run but you don't fill up the tank every time you dive it. You get in the car and look at the gas gauge. If it indicates that you have enough gas to get to your destination, you go to that destination, not to the gas station. Your paint is the same way. With a visual inspection (and the baggie test for indication of a need to clay), you are quickly informed as to what steps you are going to need to perform in order to get your paint in shape.

You should never be constantly repairing your paint. You repair your paint ONCE, and then properly maintain the paint from that point forward. The 2-bucket wash process is part of that maintenance that ensures that your paint remains swirl and scratch free. Yes, you will have to touch up your paint from time to time but you should never have to get as aggressive with your paint as you did the first time that you fixed it. That should be a one time process.

This is the order that you should perform that repairing process the first time that you perform it.

1. A 2-bucket wash (as described in this thread), using Dawn dish washing liquid to strip the finish of all waxes and dirt. This is done so that you don't prematurely contaminate your clay with unnecessary garbage. You want to get as much mileage out of your clay as possible so you remove everything off the car that can be removed by washing.

2. Properly clay the car. This may take more than one day. Don't be fooled into thinking that you can clay an entire car in a hour or so, especially if you are as old as I am. We ain't all spring chickens anymore.

3. Wash the car a second time using a car shampoo made for cars. This ensures that you are starting with a clean palate and not mistaking dried up clay lubrication for scratches. It also will remove any tiny clay particles.

4. Start the swirl, haze and scratch removing process. You will use a medium to heavy cutting polish with a orange to yellow cutting pad (unless you're using pads that don't conform to the industry standard). The polish and pads that you will use are determined by the amount of damage in your paint.

5. You will follow that medium to heavy cutting polish with a light cutting polish and a white pad (industry standard). This combination is what repairs the damage that the heavy cutting pad and polish does to the paint. This is also what brings the paint to the shine that you will protect with wax. In the first picture that I posted of my car, it does not have a drop of wax on it. That is what your car should look like after a proper swirl removal with the orange pad, and polishing with the white pad. Polishing is what makes paint shine, NOT waxing.

6. Apply the wax of your choice to protect the paint.

7. Follow with a beverage of your choice and a 30 piece wing dinner. Hey, I'm a growing boy. :D

:omg: crazy good outcome - hope my car never sees this thread :D

thanks for posting your fine vids

:D

Thanks for the great videos, Junkman.
You really need to come over to the dark side when you tire of that Vette.....;)

My mind and my wallet can't seem to agree! They are both on opposite sides of the spectrum with that decision! :dunno:

Synergy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just got done watching all of those videos. My girlfriend even watched them with me! Junkman you are one FUNNY dude :lmao:

wiplash

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Got it. Will be diving into this come springtime. Thanks much, happy holidays.

NHL2133

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Junkman,
I assume that since not all microfiber towels are created equal, not all microfiber wash mits are created equal as well? Is there a specific wash mit and/or other wash device you prefer? Thanks in advance!

OP
OP
J

Junkman2008

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just got done watching all of those videos. My girlfriend even watched them with me! Junkman you are one FUNNY dude :lmao:

Torturing your girlfriend like that is going to get you in trouble! :rolaugh:

Junkman,
I assume that since not all microfiber towels are created equal, not all microfiber wash mits are created equal as well? Is there a specific wash mit and/or other wash device you prefer? Thanks in advance!

The mitts that I used in that wash series came from of all places, Auto Zone. You are correct in saying that all wash mitts are not created equal and thus, I had to thoroughly test those before I okay-ed their use. Funny thing was, they had some that looked very similar to those that were crap. I used those on my tires.

thompsonracing

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I've bought just about every wash mitt I've seen. And I know I'm a dealer, but I love the Adam's wash pads. I don't like the microfiber ones because they fall apart too quickly. The Adam's pads are all acrylic and the dirt washes right out. I've had two; one large for upper paint and one small for lower qtrs for over a year. I can't say that about any other pad I've used.

I use the Turbo Stick for the wheels and follow up with one of the old pads/mitts I didn't like on my paint. I'm not sure if you noticed during the detail clinic, but we have a collection of old pads!

Slithr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've bought just about every wash mitt I've seen. And I know I'm a dealer, but I love the Adam's wash pads. I don't like the microfiber ones because they fall apart too quickly. The Adam's pads are all acrylic and the dirt washes right out. I've had two; one large for upper paint and one small for lower qtrs for over a year. I can't say that about any other pad I've used.

I use the Turbo Stick for the wheels and follow up with one of the old pads/mitts I didn't like on my paint. I'm not sure if you noticed during the detail clinic, but we have a collection of old pads!

+1 on the Adam's Polishes products (Thanks for the recommendation, and discount code Junkman), I too use the Turbo Stick and it makes cleaning the deep Viper wheels very quick and easy :2tu: Adam's Polishes

ghengishahn

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Never considered the hazards to paint from simple washing. Now i know. I have a two year old paint job with some very minor swirls in the clear coat. Do you recommend a product or process to remove something like like? Can most paint jobs be buffed or polished to your standards?

Wiplash check this thread out.

I clay barred, M105, M205, and applied Meguiars Synthetic sealant. Junkman told me don't mix various products. If you start with Meguiars Professional line, use throughout the process. That is what I did for the first time and it was great advice.

You can check the results/pics of my red 03 here

OP
OP
J

Junkman2008

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ah nice. St. James court I believe. Beautiful setting with fall colors in the background:2tu:

You are correct sir! That's my driveway. :2tu:

Yes come over from the dark side. Hypnotically Say "Viper. I want a Viper" on a regular basis.

And if you do buy one, I will say back to you "Welcome to Zion"

:rolaugh: Good one!

Wiplash check this thread out.

I clay barred, M105, M205, and applied Meguiars Synthetic sealant. Junkman told me don't mix various products. If you start with Meguiars Professional line, use throughout the process. That is what I did for the first time and it was great advice.

I feel that it yields the best results when you do that. There are quite a few products on the market that will take you to Shineville. :2tu:

cfiiman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I got the pleasure of meeting AJ aka "The Junkman" at his garage a couple days ago. He was kind enough to "school" me on much that I have been doing wrong. All I can say is listen to this guy, he knows what he is talking about. His paint is perfect and I hope mine will look as good in the spring. Only negative thing is now I have to budget for all the "goodies" I didn't think I needed LOL, who would have known I needed a "high end" wash bucket (Well maybe "want" is a better term :) )

OP
OP
J

Junkman2008

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I got the pleasure of meeting AJ aka "The Junkman" at his garage a couple days ago. He was kind enough to "school" me on much that I have been doing wrong. All I can say is listen to this guy, he knows what he is talking about. His paint is perfect and I hope mine will look as good in the spring. Only negative thing is now I have to budget for all the "goodies" I didn't think I needed LOL, who would have known I needed a "high end" wash bucket (Well maybe "want" is a better term :) )

Let me know when you want to bring your Viper over and we'll fix a panel together. That way, you can see what your paint is supposed to look like first hand, and you will know exactly what it is going to take product and tool wise to get it done. My schedule is flexible and lunch is on you! :D

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sloth