Just bought a 05 SRT-10

Brian E

Viper Owner
Reaction score
- Price : Although the Viper is $30k more than the Z06, it holds its value much better.

Insomniac,Welcome to our club...................but you really must have been smokin crack when you wrote the above............LOL... :D

ViperInBlack

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Art:

Yes, the world does compare the Z06, a special model in a mass produced Corvette line, to the Viper. It is erroneous, but they do so. This is largely due to media bias. It is no different than the issue of a fillbuster; selective reporting.

The 2006 Viper Coupe at ~80k or better (discount) is not $30k more than the full MSRP+ price of the forthcoming Z06, and I would wager that you are looking closer to $10k difference or less in the current market.

Sorry, I cannot agree about the interior. Having seen the new Z06 (and other C6s) at the car show, I do not care for it. It is very "Chevrolet." Buit if you are taking about digital this and that; then we are talking about processors and bling; not coolness of the interior. However, more adjustable seats would be nice for Vincent, Esq and myself. NAV is available; on e-bay it is cheap. Heated seats? um...no.

Yes, the C6 does not visually compare with a Viper. The C5, to me, is much better looking than the C6...more Corvette and less Camaro.

From the standpoint of pure technology, if that is something truly wanted, a Porsche would be nice. But the Viper is a much different market niche.

Out of the box, the Viper is truly remarkable. Add S/C and bling...there is no comparison anywhere less than $125k.

But, again, sounds like your Corvette meets many of your needs. It is a shame that you were not permitted a week trial on various roads and in changing weather. I think you would have returned the Viper.

One member of this forum drives a C6. He was able to borrow an SRT-10. He loathed it. He is back in his C6 and is very happy. No shame in that; just different needs.

Alice & The Viper Blog

OP
OP
I

INSOMNIAC

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Well, I AM KEEPING THE VIPER SRT-10.

Now I feel like the execmalibu cause I'm writing in all caps. I am his cousin anyway, right.

I will have tons of questions for you in my quest to achieve the ultimate Viper.

- Can I change the xenon headlight bulbs with some other color xenon bulbs like 12000K or something? It shouldn't be a problem just to switch xenon bulbs.
What is the bulb type for the fog lights? I want to change them too.

- I want to get aluminum skin for the dashboard. Who sells it?

- The RB1 is good but I want to play DVD and MP3's too. What is a good unit that would fit in the stock place and have a folding screen?

- Who sells nice pedals for the SRT-10?

I'll have more questions later on.

Thanks.

:usa: :usa: :usa:

ViperInBlack

Enthusiast
Reaction score
(sigh)

I am guessing that we cannot stop you.

Contact DSR207 (Mike) about his NAV system with cameras, DVD etc. It is a Pioneer unit, and a new one was just released that (for a subscription fee) will even tell you the traffic along the NAV route you are taking. I think I read that if you make an incorrect turn, it makes reference to your parentage. Ignore it when it does.

There are several people (including Daimler-Chrysler who make aluminum panels which are a good match if your car is painted primer...er...I mean silver).

DSR207 has photos of his pedals; Does not ZAF (Zero Altitude Flight) also make them?

Replacement color for the headlights... dunno, but you can get pink angora surrounds for the sun visors.

Seriously, glad you decided to keep the car. Drive safely; tell us when you get annoyed with the skip shift.

Alice & The Viper Blog

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, I AM KEEPING THE VIPER SRT-10.

Now I feel like the execmalibu cause I'm writing in all caps. I am his cousin anyway, right.

I will have tons of questions for you in my quest to achieve the ultimate Viper.

- Can I change the xenon headlight bulbs with some other color xenon bulbs like 12000K or something? It shouldn't be a problem just to switch xenon bulbs.
What is the bulb type for the fog lights? I want to change them too.

- I want to get aluminum skin for the dashboard. Who sells it?

- The RB1 is good but I want to play DVD and MP3's too. What is a good unit that would fit in the stock place and have a folding screen?

- Who sells nice pedals for the SRT-10?

I'll have more questions later on.

Thanks.

Sigh.... how I wanted him to ask:

"I am headed to Thunderhill next week, who locally can install the Autoform rollbar?"

"I am going to drag the car tomorrow night - any tips on the best launch with the current diff?"

"What class does the SRT-10 run in SCCA autocross? Do they make a good autocross DOT tire in 19"?"

"How difficult is the 5 point installation?"

Alas, it is not the case. Instead we get the "all show, no go" upgrade questions. The headlights on this car are phenomenal. One of the requirements of this car was that you not be able to outdrive the headlights. After some hair-raising laps at Chrysler's Proving Ground, Herb Helbig deemed them worthy of a 200 MPH car. And, you want to change them?

I am sorry - but from what you have written - being enamored with the interior and high tech gizmos of the Corvette - you will not be happy with this car. You will be on this board asking for things like heated seats, Homelink (;) Herb), 7 speed automatic, and 3 different suspension modes to soften the ride - seriously hampering a performance upgrade, ACR edition, HP increase for the rest of us.

Alice is right - if you are choosing/deciding/comparing between the Corvette and the Viper (at least currently), select the Corvette. You just don't "get" what the Viper is about.

mark1962

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Seems odd that you're complaining about the interior (seating position, radio, climate control, etc) after having test driven the car 2x prior to buying it. One would expect you would have noticed those things on one, if not both, of the test drives.

As far as returning the car, you are at the dealer's mercy. There are no "buyers remorse" provisions for vehicle purchases. I know someone who did this with a local Dodge dealer (not a Viper though) and he was able to exchange the car for a different model but that was all. This will be a real gauge of the dealrship's committment to customer service.

Best of luck.

ViperInBlack

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In some States there is a 72 hour grace period on any contract; you can reverse a contractual arrangement during that time.

Vincent, Esq (SRT-10 owner) is a member of the California Bar.

I have been teasing with you, but, indeed, it is your car, and you should do any performance, appearance or comfort modification that you want. Never meant, nor did anyone else, to imply that you are wrong-minded in your car interests. However, it is never going to be a laid back cruiser; it is just a different breed.

According to the statistics I have gathered thus far, less than 20% of Viper owners would choose a Corvette. Over 50% of Viper owners reponding, say that they use a Porsche or Corvette as their daily driver. Importantly, more than two-thirds say that they at least race their Viper occasionally.

You are not the first Corvette owner who comes away from the experience and says "this is just not right for me."

If you elect to keep and modify, you can contact partsrack.com (JonB) or any advertiser listed here. You will not find Viper parts at Walmart, and aftermarket tends to be small and pricey.

Join VCA and behave yourself

Alice & The Viper Blog

OP
OP
I

INSOMNIAC

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Sigh.... how I wanted him to ask:

"I am headed to Thunderhill next week, who locally can install the Autoform rollbar?"

"I am going to drag the car tomorrow night - any tips on the best launch with the current diff?"

"What class does the SRT-10 run in SCCA autocross? Do they make a good autocross DOT tire in 19"?"

"How difficult is the 5 point installation?"

Alas, it is not the case. Instead we get the "all show, no go" upgrade questions. The headlights on this car are phenomenal. One of the requirements of this car was that you not be able to outdrive the headlights. After some hairraising laps at Chrysler's Proving Ground, Herb Helbig deemed them worthy of a 200 MPH car. And, you want to change them?

I am sorry - but from what you have written - being enamored with the interior and high tech gizmos of the Corvette - you will not be happy with this car. You will be on this board asking for things like heated seats, Homelink (;) Herb), 7 speed automatic, and 3 different suspension modes to soften the ride - seriously hampering a performance upgrade, ACR edition, HP increase for the rest of us.

Alice is right - if you are choosing/deciding/comparing between the Corvette and the Viper (at least currently), select the Corvette. You just don't "get" what the Viper is about.

Who in here raced their Viper the day after they bought it with 15 miles on it?

Come on guys cut me some slack here.

I road raced my Z06 at Thunderhill and Searspoint (Infenion) and drag raced it at sears point on Wednesday nights. I don't remember seeing many vipers up at the sears point though.

OP
OP
I

INSOMNIAC

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You are not the first Corvette owner who comes away from the experience and says "this is just not right for me."

If you elect to keep and modify, you can contact partsrack.com (JonB) or any advertiser listed here. You will not find Viper parts at Walmart, and aftermarket tends to be small and pricey.

I did not say "this is just not right for me". I said I was disappointed and asked if anybody returned the day after they bought it and if it was doable.

I used to have 911 C4 and I don't like Porsche's.

Why did you write "You will not find Viper parts at Walmart"? Was it necessary?

ART

ViperInBlack

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Art:

Try not to be so sensitive. The Walmart line is from a long ago post regarding the number of Corvette T-shirts and hats available at Walmart.

I believe that I may have been the only one supportive of you. Live and learn.

Again, if you decide that it is not the right car for you, it is not a unique realization. Many have come to the same conclusion.

Peace out.

Alice & The Viper Blog

OP
OP
I

INSOMNIAC

Viper Owner
Reaction score

When did I mention anything about homelink or 7 speed automatic or the ride being harsh? I even said the ride is softer than my Z06 and made it very clear that I had no problem with the SRT-10's ride.

We are in 2005 and digital climate control, cruise control, road computer is high tech gizmo. Yeah right.

Give it to the newbie, huh. Well, bring it on.

OP
OP
I

INSOMNIAC

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Art:

Try not to be so sensitive. The Walmart line is from a long ago post regarding the number of Corvette T-shirts and hats available at Walmart.

I believe that I may have been the only one supportive of you. Live and learn.

Again, if you decide that it is not the right car for you, it is not a unique realization. Many have come to the same conclusion.

Peace out.

Alice & The Viper Blog

Well, this is not the Wallmart post so that comment was out of line but that's fine. They sell Viper T-Shirts on the streets on Embarcadero on the weekends. So what? What is the point? Yep, there is no point.

You are the among the few here who answer directly the question that was asked instead of talking nonsense. I appreciate that. I'll contact those people you mentioned about parts.

Thanks.

NOMERCY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
INSOMNIAC, It is very common around here to bash on Vettes. Just as it is common on the Vette forum to bash on Vipers. Take it all with a grain ...

I am not sure if you remember my Z06, it was a bad ass, I like my Viper even more ... hard to believe but true. :smirk:

Welcome aboard and enjoy your new Viper. :2tu:

vincent_esq

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Give INSOMNIAC a break here, guys!!!! GEEEZZZZZ. Janni, just because you track your car and INSOMNIAC doesn't, it doesn't mean you are more entitled to own the viper than his. To each his own!!!! I happen to like the viper because of its looks as well. Coming from Silicon Valley like INSOMNIAC, we are used to high tech gizmos. What's wrong with modifying it in ways that make one happy, even if it is "non-performance" oriented? What makes you think that just because some of us ask these questions that DC will listen and not give more performance to the car???? It's basic economics that drive changes, not what we want.
INSOMNIAC, if you are ever in the South Bay, call David (Vegasguy) and me. We'll meet up and chat. As for CA law, yes, there are no "72 hour cooling off period". It is specifically stated on your sales contract. Take a look at it. Thus, it is considered used the moment you drive it off the lot. But hell, you are keeping it, so that's obsolete. Don't be afraid to ask any questions on here. If someone doesn't like the question, they don't have to read it. :usa:

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for all the great comments.

I bought the Viper to be my weekend toy and to go out road racing and drag racing with it. That's what my Z06 is for too. The Z06 with the full length race headers, straight pipes, B&B exhaust, ported heads, wild cam and tons of other goodies is far away from being a daily driver running on 100 octane race gas. That's what the Viper will be soon.....

The reason I mentioned all the track items was specifically because of this quote. Thankyouverymuch.

He's talking all Billy Badass about being a car guy and racing his other cars and his first mod is HEADLIGHTS??????

<font color="red">EDIT - you are free to enjoy the car any way you want - however, what attracts folks to the car is its large engine, HP, TQ, street legal racecar-ness and raw testosterone. When one then buys the car and complains about it's lack of creature comforts, it's contrary to what suposedly attracted you to the car in the first place. Perhaps you were not as ready to make the sacrifices required to have this raw machine? Or folks overestimate their tolerance level or desire for true performance? I don't know. </font>

vegas guy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Art:

I run my SS454 on Wednesday's at Searspoint and If you think the Viper a rough ride I'll let you make a run in the SS454. I plan to throw the Viper on the trailer and run both those bad boys..only wish I could drive both at the same time. You can check out the mods Vincent and I have done anytime. Ben in Redwood city just got his back with a Paxton..(I don't cruise Woodside Rd. anymore for fear I'll run into Ben). Enjoy the Viper..were all here to help.

vincent_esq

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The reason I mentioned all the track items was specifically because of this quote. Thankyouverymuch.

He's talking all Billy Badass about being a car guy and racing his other cars and his first mod is HEADLIGHTS??????

<font color="red">EDIT - you are free to enjoy the car any way you want - however, what attracts folks to the car is its large engine, HP, TQ, street legal racecar-ness and raw testosterone. When one then buys the car and complains about it's lack of creature comforts, it's contrary to what suposedly attracted you to the car in the first place. Perhaps you were not as ready to make the sacrifices required to have this raw machine? Or folks overestimate their tolerance level or desire for true performance? I don't know. </font>

[/QUOTE]

Hmmm, who died and made you God to decide the criterias in determining whether one should or should not buy a viper? You bought the viper because of its "large engine, HP, TQ, etc.", but I bought it because I think it is physically a very beautiful car? I enjoy my viper in different ways than you do, but I don't go around blasting people, especially new viper owners who ask questions on the forum that YOU deem inappropriate of a viper owner. Its just a freaking CAR!!!! For some reason you think that people like me are a barrier to DC producing better and faster vipers. Why do you think Gen III are less "raw" than the Gen I and II? It's so that they can attract more buyers. When there are more buyers, DC has the incentive in continuing with the viper R&amp;D. Whether it will get more HP depends on a lot of factors including cost effectiveness and competition. If there are less buyers, DC may discontinue indefinitely. I welcome new viper owners, and if someone wants to buy spinners rims for their viper, I would not do it myself, but I would respect their opinions. I hate spinner rims by the way, but if someone did ask, I personally would not answer, rather than blast them for it on the forum.

OP
OP
I

INSOMNIAC

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Give INSOMNIAC a break here, guys!!!! GEEEZZZZZ. Janni, just because you track your car and INSOMNIAC doesn't, it doesn't mean you are more entitled to own the viper than his. To each his own!!!! I happen to like the viper because of its looks as well. Coming from Silicon Valley like INSOMNIAC, we are used to high tech gizmos. What's wrong with modifying it in ways that make one happy, even if it is "non-performance" oriented? What makes you think that just because some of us ask these questions that DC will listen and not give more performance to the car???? It's basic economics that drive changes, not what we want.
INSOMNIAC, if you are ever in the South Bay, call David (Vegasguy) and me. We'll meet up and chat. As for CA law, yes, there are no "72 hour cooling off period". It is specifically stated on your sales contract. Take a look at it. Thus, it is considered used the moment you drive it off the lot. But hell, you are keeping it, so that's obsolete. Don't be afraid to ask any questions on here. If someone doesn't like the question, they don't have to read it. :usa:

Thank you very much. I am very happy to know that you (vincent_esq) and David (vegasguy) are here to help.

I still don't see what's wrong in one's sharing his feelings and thoughts honestly in a forum. I just wrote down my first thoughts and feelings about the SRT-10 and all of a sudden I was under heavy fire.

Vincent and David thanks again for your help. I'll contact you guys about mods and where you take your viper to get them installed, etc. Let me know if you guys come to San Francisco.

Once I'm done with modifying this SRT-10, it will be like nothing else. You'll see.

And Janni Cone, I'll road race or drag race you any track, any time for any $$$. Let's see what you have besides the big mouth. I said I race my Z06 and I will race my Viper too. But not the day after I bought it. Anyway, do you have a racing license? How often do you race? When was the last time you raced? Which track? What was your lap time? What is your 1/4 mile time and speed?

All the cool Viper owners are from Bay Area.
Bay Area rules.... :D :D :D

redsrt03

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All the things you mentioned as negatives are IMO, just minor annoyances that you put up with for the raw excitement and fun of driving a Viper.

The real problem (IMO), is the shoddy workmanship and unreliability of the cars, and most important of all dodge's (dodge the warranty) customer support (what a joke) on warranty issues.

If you search through these archives, you will find dozen's of major problems reported with 300 miles, 2k miles, 4k miles, etc on brand new 85k dollar cars. Clutchs, differentials, catalytic converters, panels falling off, loose camshaft bolts, so on and so on.

That's the reason I will never buy a DC product again. With less than 6k miles on my Viper, I'm afraid to take it out of town, do to its past history and the horrible clunking noises that come from the rear end as I let the clutch engage. (Several have reported these same noises).

Having said all that, as soon as you sign the papers, the car is yours. The dealer might take it back in trade, if you are willing to take another financial drubbing.

Good luck.

TOOOFST

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ARRRRRT,who drives a performance car and likes it in friggin traffic?HELLLLOOOOO.
Wanna love that viper,drive a new $300k Mercilago with e-gear in traffic.
Just imagine how cool it is NOT to be considered an old donkey in your Z06 grocery getter.

:D

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wonder what the percentages would be of the number of Vette owners who would love to achieve the performance of a Viper...

Compared to the number of Viper owners that would love to have the softer ride qualities of a Vette?

I kind of enjoy the firm, very solid feeling, and the responsiveness of my Viper. For some strange reason it keeps me very active, alive, and fully connected to road.