just bought viper car feels real darty

cuong

Enthusiast
Reaction score
well i just bought my viper today a 94 blk. the car seems really darty to me. i havent had too many chances to test drive other ones, but is this normal. i heard that i should get an alignment with the 95 specs or what should i do thanks.

Blade Runner

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Those great big tires grab every rut in the road. It will lite something pushed your car over a couple of feet at times. It's normal like Frank said.
I seem to notice it more on the highway than anywhere else.

ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
get an alignment.
as well as all fluids changed if you do not have proof that this has happenend on a regular basis in the past.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Those great big tires grab every rut in the road. It will lite something pushed your car over a couple of feet at times. It's normal like Frank said.
I seem to notice it more on the highway than anywhere else.

Thats exactly right. If you are on a highway with any kind of ruts or worn areas your tires will be tracking them like crazy, even with new ones. Someone was following me once and said it looked like I was drunk the way the car was hopping around. You'll get used to the feel when it starts to do that.

JUCD VPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just bought my 99 RT/10 about 6 months ago. It still feels real darty and its kind of hard to get used to. Like they said before the big fat tires grap every uneven spot in the road. ON an uneven road you'd think i was drunk the way the car moves back and forth. BUt i think i'm going to have the car aligned and maybe get new tires like the other guys said. It feels even more darty at really high speeds.

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tires did away wuth some of that on my car. I do still get it on back roads, not on good roads.

I'm not an alignment guy at all, but a buddy had a Vette one time that was really darty.

Turned out to be a caster adjustment.

Shelby3

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Throw some 315's on the front and you will know what darty really is.

OP
OP
C

cuong

Enthusiast
Reaction score
its so darty that im afraid to go past 90. my tires are a little bald ill check those out. thanks again guys.

v10kingsnake

Viper Owner
Reaction score
mash the gas to the floor to take most of the weight off those front tires and youll have no prblems, or you can be like Boggs (Roof) and go twin turbo and never again have your front tires in contact with the road again :headbang:

ByteMe

Viper Owner
Reaction score
New tires made the difference for me and another Viper owner. Before I had them replaced, it was downright dangerous to drive as it would move over up to a foot very quickly and without warning. It'll still grab a bit in deep ruts, but even there it is much better. Old tires get hard and worn tires are not going to work too well either.

Randy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
New tires are needed, especially if you're '94 is running the stock XGTZs. The stock XGTZs are now going to be as hard as a rock after 11 years - I put about 20k miles on my '95 with the stock XGTZs until spinning on the track, and it was like a new car when I put some BridgeStone Potenza dual-compounds on it. Then the handling and stability improved again when I went to the Michelin Pilot Sports on the third and fourth set of tires.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I put new Pilot's on mine properly balanced and aligned and it still tracks in the ruts under certain road conditions. Not as bad though as the orignal tires.

Darkness

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Check your alignment and check the tire pressure. Most probably you'll have to lower the pressure on the front tires.

Good luck.

scottgf

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Do the alignment....That made a huge difference on my 94....
Then I went and put 315's on the front...that made it a little "dartier"
I think most any Viper is a "hands on the wheel" type of ride...No steering with your knee while trying to eat a Big Mac and fries...

Cheers,

VENOMAHOLIC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congrats on your new Viper. I have a hard enough time trying to work the radio with the rough ride at times. It's a thinly disguised race car with just enough safety stuff to make it legal.
That's all part of the appeal. Enjoy! :2tu:

Luis

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't have any experiences with a viper YET but. My Ford Cobra and my wife S type R is "Darty" as you say. Because of the Independance Rear Suspension. Follows the lines strangely and uneven roads feel like the car wants to steer the opposite of you are used to. If you have never driven a car with IRS. This might be the sensation you are speaking of. Its totally different than a solid axel car. But then again It might just be the 3 cars I have had with IRS. It would be nice if you were able to drive someone elses to see if theirs does the same. My .02

tzoid

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had a '95 R/T and that is the nature of the beast. I traded it for a new '99GTS back in 1999 and the Gen II car was a substantial improvement...much more controlable in the "road feel" department. I'm told the Gen III's are even better, but I just can't give my '99 up yet...

opnwide

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My '95 was real darty, and David Weaver realigned it and now it rides better than my '97. You still won't want to drive with 2 fingers or a knee, but at least can I turn off the radio fairly safely while cruising at 70 (adjusting the settings is still tricky though)

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Another option when driving rutted roads is to straddle the ruts by driving a foot off-center. Most roads are 12' wide and there's plenty of room. I frequently do this in my Viper. This is an especially useful tip when there is water on the road.

KHitman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I do the same thing as GTS Dean. Just get yourself out of the ruts and it rides much better. Just remember to COMMIT to a lane change when you do it. I like it. I'm forced to really drive the car. One of the great things about driving a Viper.

I think you can get a performance alignment that will fix most of that problem, but it is at the cost of front tire wear.

Shutdown

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Both of my Vipers are darty. Frankly I prefer it. Goes where you when you point it. Changing CD's and cell phones demand you pull over. To me, a small price to pay for having an ultra-responsive car.

Shutdown
2001 ACR
2002 Daytona #9 of 9, FEV #142

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang