Just curious ... How and when did this forum begin?

garolittle

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Over the past several years I have obtained much vauable information from this forum. I am curiuos as to how it all started (what year?, who was the first person to post a question?, etc). Thanks to everyone for all of the great information and God bless the Dodge Viper. :2tu:

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
mailing list >>>>> ghetto threaded BBS >>>>> this site

I was on that mailing list back in 93 I beleive it was.
You were on the mailing list as a toddler?

SNKEBIT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
mailing list >>>>> ghetto threaded BBS >>>>> this site

I was on that mailing list back in 93 I beleive it was.
You were on the mailing list as a toddler?

BBWWWAAAAAAAA HHAAAAAAA HAAAAAAA HAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RX VIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wish I had know about this site a lot sooner. I heard about it at a VOI-7. It would have saved me a lot of money over the years!

V 10 MAFIA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jon B from Parts Rack has the real answer to your question. He knows the entire history.

OP
OP
G

garolittle

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jon B from Parts Rack has the real answer to your question. He knows the entire history.

Yep, I bet you are right. Ok, Jon ... what's the scoop? How did it all begin?

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Nit Picks aside on THIS EXACT WEBSITE address....now in its 3rd or 4th iteration......... here is a bit of history:

When the dirty-dozen founded the VCA at Dodge's request, we needed a better way to communicate with each other. I was very new to email in 1994. In early 1994, several VCA presidents, including myself, Gary Lashinsky, Steve Ferguson, Ivan **, Dean Word, JHennysee, and a few others [I HOPE THEY POP IN!] started a DODGE VIPER mesage board on the Car and Driver Website. We then launched on on the Road and Track website. Then, Gary L started a VCA message board there as well.

It was informative, factual, mature discussions of the PASSION we all had for this car. It almost ALWAYS had the highest post-count of all the boards, on both magazines. This went on for 3 YEARS ! When Oreca starting winning EVERYTHING in 97-98, we wre PUMPED. But HHPPTBs (hand-hoppin-pimple-poppin-teeny-boppers) soon made us crazy with their juvenile ways.

Enter Jay Herbert and a partner from TX (whose name I forget at this moment, but I remembered it just a few minutes ago!) Jay approached me about his building the VCA an OFFICIAL site, in hopes of having some immunity to the HHPPTBs. He asked be to 'commit 60-90 minutes per day to answering questions.' In exchange, I would get some advertising consideration. [ Almost everyone called me the VIPER GURU back then, and I had a section called "The Guru Speaks" and I did NOT give myself the title!]

We placed Jay on the agenda with board approval, I made a motion, in Detroit, at the VCA Prez meeting, January 1998, to accept Jay's offer. The motion was amended to a "self sustaining" VCA website, because NO VCA dues or Dodge support would be allocated. It passed.

Jay and ___ did their thing. We had a few testers, and launched in a few weeks. I became perhaps the first paid advertisor, and off we went. Jay and I helped persuade Mad Tony, Dave Adkins, Jason Ward, Michelle Frey, to be our first moderators..... and Tony remains!

That first official board even had a "Stump the Gurus" section where myself, Dan Cragin, Bob Woodhouse, Dean Word, and a few other "Know-It-Allmosts" hung out (until jealous-political-whiners disbanded it!) We were attemting to get official team Viper spokespersons on, but to no avail. One of them told me privately it had to do with D-C lawyers........

We actually had a couple "Off The Record" passionate Team Viper guys regularly feed us Gurus important and correct tech answers, because they hoped and felt we would keep them anonymous. We did, and we therefore SEEMED to know a lot more that we really did! We were actually LEARNING the answers as you did. When the GURU site went away, so did the inside scoop we were receiving. Too bad.

Once the website became profitable, Jay 'turned over the keys' to the VCA at VOI-6 in St Louis.... Jay was retained as admin. We all enjoy the fruits of his labors and our passion........

Marv S

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
"Who is Doug Azzarito"?

Enter Jay Herbert and a partner from TX (whose name I forget at this moment, but I remembered it just a few minutes ago!)

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hit the archives - Brought back some memories. I had forgotten completely how it had looked in that version.

OP
OP
G

garolittle

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nit Picks aside on THIS EXACT WEBSITE address....now in its 3rd or 4th iteration......... here is a bit of history:

When the dirty-dozen founded the VCA at Dodge's request, we needed a better way to communicate with each other. I was very new to email in 1994. In early 1994, several VCA presidents, including myself, Gary Lashinsky, Steve Ferguson, Ivan **, Dean Word, JHennysee, and a few others [I HOPE THEY POP IN!] started a DODGE VIPER mesage board on the Car and Driver Website. We then launched on on the Road and Track website. Then, Gary L started a VCA message board there as well.

It was informative, factual, mature discussions of the PASSION we all had for this car. It almost ALWAYS had the highest post-count of all the boards, on both magazines. This went on for 3 YEARS ! When Oreca starting winning EVERYTHING in 97-98, we wre PUMPED. But HHPPTBs (hand-hoppin-pimple-poppin-teeny-boppers) soon made us crazy with their juvenile ways.

Enter Jay Herbert and a partner from TX (whose name I forget at this moment, but I remembered it just a few minutes ago!) Jay approached me about his building the VCA an OFFICIAL site, in hopes of having some immunity to the HHPPTBs. He asked be to 'commit 60-90 minutes per day to answering questions.' In exchange, I would get some advertising consideration. [ Almost everyone called me the VIPER GURU back then, and I had a section called "The Guru Speaks" and I did NOT give myself the title!]

We placed Jay on the agenda with board approval, I made a motion, in Detroit, at the VCA Prez meeting, January 1998, to accept Jay's offer. The motion was amended to a "self sustaining" VCA website, because NO VCA dues or Dodge support would be allocated. It passed.

Jay and ___ did their thing. We had a few testers, and launched in a few weeks. I became perhaps the first paid advertisor, and off we went. Jay and I helped persuade Mad Tony, Dave Adkins, Jason Ward, Michelle Frey, to be our first moderators..... and Tony remains!

That first official board even had a "Stump the Gurus" section where myself, Dan Cragin, Bob Woodhouse, Dean Word, and a few other "Know-It-Allmosts" hung out (until jealous-political-whiners disbanded it!) We were attemting to get official team Viper spokespersons on, but to no avail. One of them told me privately it had to do with D-C lawyers........

We actually had a couple "Off The Record" passionate Team Viper guys regularly feed us Gurus important and correct tech answers, because they hoped and felt we would keep them anonymous. We did, and we therefore SEEMED to know a lot more that we really did! We were actually LEARNING the answers as you did. When the GURU site went away, so did the inside scoop we were receiving. Too bad.

Once the website became profitable, Jay 'turned over the keys' to the VCA at VOI-6 in St Louis.... Jay was retained as admin. We all enjoy the fruits of his labors and our passion........

"The Guru" has spoken :headbang: Great story. Thanks Jon

Joseph Houss

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
All hail the Guru! We miss your Viper Tidbits Jonb!

How 'bout having a "Stump the Nation" competition?

Jonb could throw out a obscure tidbit, and the first to answer it correctly gets "a VCA point". Top points at the end of the month gets ?

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
All hail the Guru! We miss your Viper Tidbits Jonb!

How 'bout having a "Stump the Nation" competition?

Jonb could throw out a obscure tidbit, and the first to answer it correctly gets "a VCA point". Top points at the end of the month gets ?

Marv got the first one: Doug Azzarito, from TX !

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456