Just installed upgraded (mid 98+) fan on early 98 GTS....no diffrence?!

Travis

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Folks, i just installed the upgraded fan on my 98 GTS. I drove the car down the highway with the AC on and the temp was fine(on the first mark past strait up). Soon after i got off the highway the temp rose to the last mark before 250 (230ish)? The temp seemed to actually fall at stop lights. I opened the hood and verified the fan was working. Is it normal for the car to run that warm in traffic? I turned the AC off and the temp seemed to drop slightly..

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
-check for blockages in front of radiator (leaves, etc)

-flush cooling system and replace w/new coolant

-Burp cooling system (run a search, many topics w/directions)

-if still a problem, upgrade water pump and radiator.

Vipers do run hot, but not THAT hot usually. Hopefully someone in your area can chime in?

LW VIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Travis:

I had the same fan upgrade done on my 96 RT/10 and it works exactly the same way, sits straght up at 190 degrees on higway in high gears, in town or on twisties, goes to the last marker (215 degrees?) that is still on the white part of the dial, and then the fan kicks in (you can hear it in mine) and the temperature drops back down to the marker just to the right of the 190 degree mark. The difference is that it doesn't head toward the red.

At least that's my experience. I don't think these cars run cool in low speed or bumper to bumper traffic under any circumstances.

OP
OP
T

Travis

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the replys. I guess the fact that i live in Tucson AZ(over 100 during the day) does not help. The car did definitly run cooler last night once the temp dropped down into the mid 80's. Are there any online instructions for flushing and replacing the coolant?

Qualitywires.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I am working on a fix for the cooling issues. (at least for me) I don't think the upgrade fan will make that big of a difference. I think they do flow more cfm, but like previous post state, if the thermo is already wide open and it's getting hotter....the only way it will cool off more is it flows CFM while sitting still. Ducting has a lot to do with the cooling of the radiator.

I have a Ron Davis Radiator and 2 Spal fans that will pull over 3500 CFM. I also have a custom Ducting on the back of the radiator with the spal fans. I am going to have a manual switch for the fans, but it will probobly never be used due to the fact that I am putting in an after market temp relay switch that is adjustable.

I will post results.

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It seems that the heat issues are tune related, dont know why.

Since my car got the AEM unit installed it run 190 solid, even in near 100 weather with the AC on. And did I mention that does it for hours straight in LA traffic.

It does not make sense why Dodge would have such a poor factory setup with air/fuel/ignition but its the only thing that makes sense. And no the AEM unit is not keeping the high speed fans on constantly, I have yet to hear them turn on.

Supra

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Russ, how have you been?

Do you think the problem could be with timing being set too conservatively from the factory? As I'm sure you know the more ******** the timing the hotter a car runs. Wonder if that's the case?

Travis, if the problem is the fan you may want to try running a Lincoln Mark VIII fan. That's what the heavily modded Mustang guys run when they have cooling problems.....

It seems that the heat issues are tune related, dont know why.

Since my car got the AEM unit installed it run 190 solid, even in near 100 weather with the AC on. And did I mention that does it for hours straight in LA traffic.

It does not make sense why Dodge would have such a poor factory setup with air/fuel/ignition but its the only thing that makes sense. And no the AEM unit is not keeping the high speed fans on constantly, I have yet to hear them turn on.

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You should change the thermostat to 180, it will give you a head start on cooling. Also a Roe fan kit to run the fan after shut down is nice. Hoses with bleeds make burping MUCH easier. DO NOT buy a Mopar performance thermostat....they are $100+ more than Roe.

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Supra(Guilly),

Good how about your self?

I think the timing is almost at factory levels, since Dodge has not figured out what knock sensors are yet the adjustment is not really available.

One of these days I am going to put some 118octane in the thing and do some dyno pulls without the obsurd timing curve needed for pump gas. I am beting at least 20-30rwhp gain, but you never know.

1Tony1,

The thermostat will not affect how your car runs under these conditions. With the current fuel/timing table the cars just run too lean at idle which makes them very hot.

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1Tony1,

The thermostat will not affect how your car runs under these conditions. With the current fuel/timing table the cars just run too lean at idle which makes them very hot.

But, like I said......it will give it a head start on cooling. A 30+/- degree headstart could very well cure some idle overheat problems.