just saw the new viper at VOI and......

Brad04Mamba

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I saw the new viper, it was good. Dans description was very good and accurate. I will just add a few things. First, the wheels were awesome, so was the oblong ovalish side exhaust. There was alot of carbon fiber, especially in the rear. THere were two air vents/intakes on the side, one behind the door and the other behind the rear wheel. They looked good. The side profile definitely look gen2 ish.

The rear looked aston martinish with alot of carbon fiber. It looked good but not great, IMHO. I dont think it would take much to make it great. The top of the car had a very pronounced dip that was almost v shaped that went from the windshield into the rear glass. It has a curved bubble top but the "v" area was slightly angled and very noticeable. It look really good.

The front of the car was "new", that was probably the best part of the car. Ralph was very interested in having the front look awesome. It had a hood scoop and also had some, what I will call ford gt style air vents in the hood. These were on each side of the hood scoop. The "vents" were not quite as deep as the ford gt's but made the hood look very curvy. The lights and front facia look very good.

The overall stance of the car looked/appeared to be about the same as the gen4. It had body panels, no clamshell hood but it is very curvy.

See this is why they will never be able to make everyone happy. I thought the wheels were terrible, more **** than sport. Also, I thought the rear looked better than the front. The front had too many curves and dips, and the headlights don't belong on a viper. I did like the cf though.

Anyway, I'm sure they will continue to tweak it so that it is perfect in the end. I don't envy them though, this has to be the hardest thing to do, make a next generation that everyone loves.

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I saw the new viper, it was good. Dans description was very good and accurate. I will just add a few things. First, the wheels were awesome, so was the oblong ovalish side exhaust. There was alot of carbon fiber, especially in the rear. THere were two air vents/intakes on the side, one behind the door and the other behind the rear wheel. They looked good. The side profile definitely look gen2 ish.

The rear looked aston martinish with alot of carbon fiber. It looked good but not great, IMHO. I dont think it would take much to make it great. The top of the car had a very pronounced dip that was almost v shaped that went from the windshield into the rear glass. It has a curved bubble top but the "v" area was slightly angled and very noticeable. It look really good.

The front of the car was "new", that was probably the best part of the car. Ralph was very interested in having the front look awesome. It had a hood scoop and also had some, what I will call ford gt style air vents in the hood. These were on each side of the hood scoop. The "vents" were not quite as deep as the ford gt's but made the hood look very curvy. The lights and front facia look very good.

The overall stance of the car looked/appeared to be about the same as the gen4. It had body panels, no clamshell hood but it is very curvy.

Best job so far but a couple of corrections. It DOES have a clam shell hood but the hood does not go all the way down to the side sills, about half way, sort of like where all the RT10 and GTS emblems are on a Gen 2.
And the stance is completely different, say a firm goodbye to excessive fender/wheel-tire gap. We won't be looking to lower this bad boy. Which makes this car look much lower as well.
And I'm really surprised at TWO huge and amazing design details that have not been mentioned anywhere in the threads, but I will hold off and see if anyone else will notice and comment. :D
:eater:
And I have to say that it's amusing to have so many different recollections, it's like the joke about a crime scene, everyone remembers it differently. I was surprised earlier that someone said the double bubble roof effect was not as pronounced as earlier gens when it really is much more dramatic.

Smokin' 2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
See this is why they will never be able to make everyone happy. I thought the wheels were terrible, more **** than sport.
Took about 10 minutes of RG's time in the booth. He said there would be multiple wheel options and was not extremely fond of this one. The vents at the rear were designed to be cooling ducts run to the rear breaks.

He told the design team to think of Halle Berry on the beach. It has curves, but not quite the curves of the GTS except in the side profile. Some of the more angular lines in the design worked in my opinion. He said the interior would be so good we'd want to drive it naked. The interior has always bugged him.

For a clay model still in the design stage, I liked it and I think Dodge is on the right track. I hope they get more sinister with the side profile like many of the design sketches that were hanging on the wall. My unscientific survey on Sunday determined it was greeted with much more enthusiasm that the gen 3 in Dallas.

I also liked the new emblem. One thing is certain, everyone will not be satisfied.

chiefchad

Enthusiast
Reaction score
NOTE TO EVERBODY WHO DID NOT ATTEND VOI 11
It has become clear that not only did the attendees who saw the new Viper sign a confidentiality agreement, but they also signed a statement promising to torture and play head games with all VCA members who DID NOT attend VOI.
;):rolaugh:

goldcup

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Im not good with the details but the car did have scoops behind the side glass and the side view definately was an evolution of the GenII.Previous post was right there was no room between tires and body,tires were 19".Loved the front of the car it was very agressive.If the car is released in the same basic form, there will be no more mistaking it for a Corvette.

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i hope its 130k so hardly no-one can get one......:lmao::lmao:you guys can buy my 09 for what i paid new...:lmao: hahahahah thats mean aint it!!!hahahahahah

I'll be fine with my 03 SRT 10 if prices on the newer ones stay high. No problem here. However, once my 6 year-old (who can already throw a 50mph fastball and hit a baseball 150 feet in the air) reaches the majors a Viper will look like scrap iron to me. :lmao: Of course, I'll probably be too old to enjoy the new Lambo he said he would buy me. :drooler:

BillionDollarDan

Viper Owner
Reaction score
argh why did I have to work during VOI???? If I'd have known about the gen V I would have rescheduled every one of my patients for a chance to be there. DANGIT!
In the end I'm just happy that we'll see more Vipers. Ralph really seems like the best representative we can have in Chrysler corp.

SCSViper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Gen III/IV guys need not worry. The grapevine says pricing is between $110K and $130K which is expected when Ferrari (Fiat) is involved with some of the engine design. I wish Pininfarina is involved too! Unfortunately at the mid 6-digit pricing level the Viper has degenerated into a snob car. I would love the price point to be at inflation adjusted Gen II pricing.

I am not worried if my Gen IV holds value, because I plan on keeping her for a long while. I just want to be able to buy a Gen V vert without my wife yelling at me about spending so much!! $120K is snob car territory? I thought that was about $180-200K.:omg:

BillionDollarDan

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I am not worried if my Gen IV holds value, because I plan on keeping her for a long while. I just want to be able to buy a Gen V vert without my wife yelling at me about spending so much!! $120K is snob car territory? I thought that was about $180-200K.:omg:

snob car territory is totally relative. usually if you can't afford it, it's a snob car lol

NHL2133

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Actually the body panel grooves didn't enable opening like a typical hood, and while it is possible it could open that way but with the attached fenders opening along with it, it appeared to open like Gen 2 clamshells (though without the side fender pieces all of the way down to the side sills, instead appeared like Gen 3/4 there, with the extended pieces coming up from the side sills).

I am trying to picture how the hood would open based on what you describe, and this is the closest thing I can come up with. Am I close?

You must be registered for see images attach

Kala

Enthusiast
Reaction score
they also signed a statement promising to torture and play head games with all VCA members who DID NOT attend VOI.
;):rolaugh:

:hahaup: I totally agree with you on this one...

Just when they are not expecting it... Lets get em :hitwithrock:

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am trying to picture how the hood would open based on what you describe, and this is the closest thing I can come up with. Am I close?

Pretty close, divide the height in half behind the wheel and you are there.

Speedy G

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Doesn't matter a bit to me. :smirk: You guys with the bucks will buy it when it comes out... so you are anxious. Good, I hope they tease you some more. :lmao: (Just joking with you guys)

I may be able to afford one many years later so take care of it so I can have a nice one after you are done with it. :) I don't care if I see what it looks like right now as I am just enjoying and getting used to my Gen 3. :) I am down a bit on the Viper owner's food chain, so keep the nice used ones coming as I will never be able to buy a new one on a teacher's salary, but that is fine with me. :drive:

What he said cept the teacher part :D

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Car shown was to gauge interest to move forward, which it is moving forward for sure. Glad I went to VOI11 as it was one of the best weekends of our lives. There are three different fronts, three different sides and three different rears to consider. Personally the front was awesome and hope they choose that one. The sides and the back, were alright.

Drivetrain up in the air, interior up in the air. Car shown was very GEN II-ish. That's all you will get out of me. Want more, you should have got off your ass and supported the club and came out to see with your own eyes.

Personally the speaches that Ralph gave and the other internal details he showed all of us, has totally restored my faith in the company and ALL their products. The new Viper will NOT disappoint, even if it was the one they showed, minus the "Flower Power" wheels.

For now, it was clear that FIAT is behind Ralph and the Viper 100%. The quote Sergio left in the internal meetings had to do with the "distinguished opportunity to breath life back into something of pure beauty and unquestionable status the world around". He was taking about the Viper. It was unmistakable that the Viper would be the Halo for the company once again.

Those that did not go will be kicking themselves in the A$$ for years to come. I know I will NEVER make the mistake of missing a VOI again. I should have gone to Detriot as well. That I will kick myself despite my feelings on the city to the contrary.

2001-V10 Power Nut

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
:DLee,

were you referring to the definate possibility 100% that the car is going to have traction control??? Sorry die hards, Ralph Gilles said the Govt made it mandotary, some law i guess, but is can be turned off!!!. Racking my brain trying to figure out what else, hmm, was it the turn signals embedded at the edge of the front tire fender?, although thats not to major.

As far as i'm concerned the car was fantastic, most of the guys have done a good job of describing it. It does have a "rectangular" exhaust vent on the side, same location as gen 3 & 4 cars, had a very aggressive front stance, with the "audi" type lights & fog lights, had the bubble top, the hood vents seemed to be much "deeper" on the hood and moved toward the front more, the side stance of the car had the curved panels like a Gen 1 & 2, the back end was Gen 2ish but not as aggressive, and the lights were moved in from the edge of the panels. there were "vents" behind each side window, dont know what they were for?
Also heard its supposed to be 700hp+-

I did speak to several people concerning the "pricing", and I would like to think these folks know what they are talking about, and they "indicated" that it was Dodge's goal to keep the price "under" $100,000. who knows

No ones gonna have a photo of the car, security was tight, it was awsome, sorry about your luck if you did'nt go and see it, you'll just have to draw a mental picture and keep dreaming !!

Last edited:

xlrashn

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I thought is was AWESOME. I agree, you can never please 100% of the people, however others I visited with all had good things to say.

Very **** car............

Toby

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I thought is was AWESOME. I agree, you can never please 100% of the people, however others I visited with all had good things to say.

Very **** car............

I have yet to meet a Viper guy say a gen 2 was ugly. Not one.

I have met a lot of Viper guys who have said the Gen 3 was ugly.

I can't wait to see the new one. I hope it will rekindle the fire that the Gen 2 started in me back in 96.

Good luck Dodge. Make it a good one. :usa:

ViperGeorge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Gen V was not ugly but the total package though did not scream "Race Car!", at least not to me and several others I've spoken with. It seemed more like a Grand Tourer ala Jaguar's XK or Aston's DB9. The front wasn't bad and actually is more aggressive than the rear, not pretty but kind of "get the F##K out of my way".

The rear however reminded me of a Jaguar or Aston. I'd bet the rear lights would be direct replacements for those in the DB9. The LEDs surrounding the headlights and taillights should be dumped IMO and they probably will be. They serve no purpose and do not make the car faster.

The Viper should scare small children and be as comfortable on the track as it is on the street. The model looked more comfortable on the street IMO but I'm sure Ralph has tweaks in mind before it launches. I had a hard time picturing the car with a wing and splitter but then again they have made race cars out of DB9s and they are about the most beautiful car ever made.

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
argh why did I have to work during VOI???? If I'd have known about the gen V I would have rescheduled every one of my patients for a chance to be there. DANGIT!
In the end I'm just happy that we'll see more Vipers. Ralph really seems like the best representative we can have in Chrysler corp.

Glad your not my Dr. if you would care more about a seeing a car than your patients. ;)

doctorbob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was at VOI and I loved the car. You cannot make everybody happy but I think the majority liked the car. Of the 11 of us that drove to SLC, 4 have decided to buy the Gen 5.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The first production vehicle is unlikely to be available until the Fall of 2012 or later. While some dealers might hold deposits, there is no official way to order/buy a Gen V. There is a way to buy a Gen I, II, III or IV at great prices. Why delay? Two years is a long time.

Viper ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For starters let me just say that VOI was one of the most amazing weekends of my life . I am honored to have been part of it . There was endless amounts of WOW moments over the weekend . For those of you that missed it and kicking themselves saying they should have gone or that you would have if you knew the Gen V would be there . How could you have not known that they would show the Gen V there . When it was acknowledged to have been seen by dealers in Florida. I was very confident we would see it . To show the dealers and then not show owners at VOI would have been a big mistake .

Am I the only one that thinks that the Gen V shown at VOI Does have some similarities to the Volado design in a few respects ? Someone commented how the hood looks similar to the Ford GT. It looks some what like the Hood in the Volado design except that its clamshell . As well as the Grill had some similarities .