just saw the new viper at VOI and......

viperrmike

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I liked the car, reminded of Gen 2, I agree. Had more of an upscale look to it, less ********* racer than ACR does. I liked the head lights, reminded me more of serpent eyes, more scary. I hope performance continues to evolve. If traction control required, let us be able to turn off, just like ABS. Also hope the engine bay is still going to be garage mechanic friendly? Fun to play with and work on, my opinion.

slysnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It looks some what like the Hood in the Volado design except that its clamshell . As well as the Grill had some similarities .
eewww..... not a fan.

BlknBlu

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here is my take of the car.

It has a lot sleaker look than previous cars yet still retains the muscular look. THe back end curves in rather that out giving it a slimmer profile and not showing off the massive rubber underneath. The rear seems to also wrap around more. The tail lights and headlights have a more modern look and really give the car a personality when lit up looking more like a snake. The bubble top was still there but the glass had a portion of the roof going into it like a half oval. The clamshell hood was halfway down the body rather than the entire front lifting up. The hood was not as aggressive as a GEN4 it has a similar scoop near the front but a larger surface to pull in more air. The main portion of the hood was recessed like a Ford GT except for the scoop but not as deep. There were only 2 vents in the hood close to the grill just before the recessed portion came back up and set in the corners. The sill portion by the front fenders was curved but not a semi circle it was still a bit squared of yet rounded if that makes sense. The exhaust ports on the side looked more like eyes rather than just round, almost pointed to the front then angled out like a triangle.

Overall it is a Viper with a European flavor to it (just a tad)

Great looking car.

Bruce

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would strongly disagree hat the hood is not as aggressive as a Gen 4. Imagine where the vents are on a GEN 4, then have that entire area on either side of the hood bulge progressively recessed as it goes to the front, may not be as deep as a Ford GT but it's 4-5 inches at least, front corners curve in like the front of the vents on GEN 4 . Then the center of the hood is MUCH higher than a GEN four and completely rounded, not squared off. So this MUCH higher center bulge rises out of the recess and runs forward to end in a black scoop that is at least 4 inch tall. The center bulge actually extends several inches up into the wind shield area like an old L88 Corvette.
I was stunned by the front of the cars and squatted down and just tried to memorize it for a few minutes so I could understand why it looked so aggressive. The view I got by squatting would be the same that someone would see in a rear view mirror. And with the running lights this car will have it will MOVE cars out of the left lane.
I have a Black 08 ACR and I think it's pretty menacing but the new car in Black will frighten small children. Especially at night with the lights.
I did the same thing in back, anyone else notice where the back up lights were?

BlknBlu

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Rumor has it that the engine was in an ACRX at Miller Motorsports for the last 2 weeks running around. Nothing confirmed but 685 HP and 4 valves per cylinder. Also possible option of paddle shifters and an 8 speed tranny

Bruce

DeLViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You win the cookie. I thought it was clever to tuck them under the car at the outboard corners where exhaust would normally be.

Make that an Oatmeal cookie, please. That's one thing that I liked about the new viper, was the diffuser.

mjf6175

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Like everyone else who did not attend I sure would like to know what the GenV looks like. Also wonder how long before one of the auto mags gets a couple of attendee's together with an artist. Do up a sketch like they do in making a composite drawing of a person in a criminal case where several credible witnesses are debriefed. I bet that a good artist and a good interviewer would be able to produce something very close.

Richard Koch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am not sure if they have had a photo of the awesome new T-shirts they sold there.

The new logo is on the front and the saying on the back is great.

Attachments

• 145.jpg
    145.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 16
  • 144.jpg
    144.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 12

Pictureman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It looks like a high tech modernized 2001 GTS bumble bee, except it had the wrong paint on it. Plus it has to have the traction safety stuff on it if I understand that part. Should make it more marketable to a bigger group if that's so.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What do you think of this? Do you like it?

You must be registered for see images attach

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cover up the nose and tail, and the mid section looks very much like the gen 1 & 2.

Nose had some freshened up lighting with led's like Audi.

Tail as Dan Said looks very much like the beautiful Aston Martins.

Much higher quality trim and lights. Exhaust looks very high class. Much better than a 4" tube sticking out the side.

Think it will expand the envelope, and steal some sales from the upscale sports cars, but still very much in the classic Viper DNA.

This was not a working car, but a styrofoam model taken off the clay model with laser scanning and transfered. The car was painted or vinyled. All windows were painted on, as no interior existed. This lack of green house makes the model much less impressive than if it had window openings and a visible interior. The finished car will be much more striking than the styling model.

Word is that the production model will be very close to this mock-up, but of course the windows, front and rear lighting and detailing will be better looking when in finished form.

This was an amazing presentation. Only a few weeks ago the word on the forums was that Viper was Dead. Those guys are eating their words, and the VIPER LIVES!

No doubt about it now. The car will become a reality, and available at your local Dodge dealer.

Once again those Team Viper guys have pulled a rabbit out of their hat, and hit a home run.

Not everybody will like the new Gen V, just as for every previous model. The love for an owners current model Viper runs deep, and we are not a fickle bunch (at least some of us). I am sure many will continue to prefer their current Viper, but others will be drawn to the brand as it expands the marketplace.

The new car will most likely have to include federally mandated nannys, but the Dodge Boys assured us that they will be easily turned off with the push of a button. They want the new car to stay true to the Viper DNA. (but some change is certain)

The current marketplace is poor for current Viper models, so they could not just keep producing the same stuff.

I believe the new model will be well accepted by many current Viper Owners, as well as take some sales away from the competitors.

This model shown was a base model Coupe. No stripes, not lowered, no wings etc. I would expect many new owners to continue the tradition of modifying their own cars to reflect their own personal preferences.

Kala

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Paul, most have said they didnt see a place or way to attach a wing. Or at least much of a wing.
Is the car supposed to make tremendous down force without aero?

Vypr Phil

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Paul, most have said they didnt see a place or way to attach a wing. Or at least much of a wing.
Is the car supposed to make tremendous down force without aero?

This is where the Fiat/Ferrari partnership should indeed bear productive results! To answer your question Kala, yes absolutely but I guess your idea of aero is wings, spoilers and canards.

Ferrari has its own wind tunnel on-site (mostly for F1 development) and Ferrari has for a long time streamlined and optimized underbody aerodynamics. For example, on the F430, which is an evolution of the F360, a peek underneath will reveal evolution in underbody aerodynamics, a true case of technology transfer from Ferrari's Formula 1 effort. The rear diffuser is enormous, with strakes within its venturis straightening the airflow for greater effectiveness. Up front, a central spoiler slot cleaves the "clean" air and routes it over an airfoil element and then beneath the car; in conjunction with venturis ahead of each front wheel, the F430 can produce as much as 287 lb. of front downforce, and as much as 617 lb. overall at 186 mph-an increase of 50 percent from the 360-all without resorting to external wings.

The fact that there was no wing and the Gen V design is referred by some as "European" leads me to believe (or at least hope) that extensive underbody aerodynamic work is already seriously under way. So what we are talking about is downforce without the massive drag of the Gen IV ACR wing, meaning more top speed, all good in my book!

Kala

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Phil, :clap: its been too long since we spoke!

I was kinda thinking of the high down force numbers that were released with the ACR... 1000lb vs the mid range average (for a viper) you are talking about without aero accessories...

How do you go from 1000lb to 6XX and feel like you advanced the design and performance of the car for the next Gen???

Realizing that there is a trade-off in drag with the large wing. lol What is the highest amount of down force made with wind tunnel & body panels? Somehow I bet you know that :eater:

On a side note: Lyle and I were talking about the Bonneville project, he was thinking taping off the fog lights on a Viper to smooth that front out for high speed passes in a straight line. Bonneville is a different beast though. Smoother lower front end could possibly help with the high speed straight line venues... at least I would think so.

I'm just wondering if Dodge will be able to keep smashing the track records without some of the Viper trademarks...

Vypr Phil

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Kala,

It has been a while indeed!

Let's compare apples to apples and not to oranges.

The ACR is a pure track beast with terrific downforce thru external add-ons. As always, additional drag will have a huge impact on top speed. On a 2008/9 ACR's once you upshift to 5th an step on it again, you might as well replace the wing with a small parachute, painfully slow to get it up to top speed which is only a small number higher than max speed in 4th gear, hence the ratio modifications on the 2010 models.

A non ACR coupe only generates about 100 to 150 lbs of downforce so the 6XX generated by the F430 (2004 numbers by the way) are a vast improvement for a car with a "clean" shiny side.

The Gen V design as shown seems to have been a non ACR version for the time being and I am sure if and when they tackle the Gen V ACR, they will find the best compromise between downforce and drag.

Keep in mind that this delicate aerodynamic balance is an art in itself, just see how often more or less "wing" is dialed in on F1 cars during a race.

As far as Dodge smashing track records, if Ferrari is the role model and inspiration, we will be in good shape; the Ferrari 599XX was absolutely awesome on the 'Ring and I expect that the Gen V will not disappoint.

Let's just hope that as much technology as possible trickles down from Ferrari/Fiat yet keeping the Viper unique and true to its roots, meaning no shared (Ferrari/Maserati/Alfa-Romeo) platform.

It seems to me that the Gen V will be a bold step forward and truly will have the potential to become the best Viper ever.

JimK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The most "slippery" American exotic at speed is the FGT and it does it without a wing/spoiler - most is accomplished underneath as Phil noted (diffuser etc)...

Jim

Kala

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The most "slippery" American exotic at speed is the FGT and it does it without a wing/spoiler - most is accomplished underneath as Phil noted (diffuser etc)...Jim

Thanks Guys for teaching "new to me stuff". I like it!

Just off the top of my head I would have thought the S7 would have been the most "slippery" American exotic..

Kala

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A non ACR coupe only generates about 100 to 150 lbs of downforce so the 6XX generated by the F430 (2004 numbers by the way) are a vast improvement for a car with a "clean" shiny side.

I guess I'm not "getting" it, help me out here... by these standards the non ACR coupe is a downforce monster with only 100-150 lbs. The Ford GT comes in at 97lbs in the front... ZR1 is all lift...

I have not found a windtunnel test yet for a Viper.. I'll keep looking. I got plenty of time since I'm still in bed with the flu :eater:

Ferarri F430
(A): 2.04 m²
(cd): 0.34
(cd × A): 0.70
at 200km/h
lift front 11kg
lift rear 6kg

This windtunnel test shows lift on a 430 front and back.... So do several other F cars :dunno: even the Scuderia has lift in the rear.

Ford GT
(A) 1.92 m²
(cd) 0.35
(cd × A) 0.67
at 200km/h
downforce front 44kg
lift rear 2kg

Corvette ZR1
(A) 2.059 m²
(cd) 0.32
(cd × A) 0.66
at 200km/h
lift front 39kg
lift rear 14kg

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Some talk at the VOI about their initial thinking of two models like the current SRT and ACR with additional track enhancements.

Gotta believe that the Gen V will offer additional performance over the current models, while a Gen V ACR will raise the bar even further.

Would not be surprised to see the Gen V approach ACR levels of performance at the track, with any ACR version approaching ACR-X levels.

Smiles all around for the future of Viper indeed...

Hisserman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was there and saw the new car (mock up). The guys have done a good job describing it. I guess my impression is that it is what I expected when they came out with the Gen III. It looks like a good evolution of the Gen II, but not as agressive as we had been led to believe.

There weren't any specifics on engine, performance, weight, etc. However, the Dodge team is working on that engine and gaining a lot of knowledge with the ACRX racing program. There's no doubt that they can deliver on the performance side if we want to pay for it. The most credible rumors that I could pick up about price say they are targeting the mid $90's. We were pushing them whenever we could to offer factory options to increase performance and horsepower. That way they can still meet their base price goal and those who want to pay to play can.

The new logo is striking when presented in the right setting. But it doesn't really work as a logo graphic. For example when you view it in the form of the middle tail light from about 10 feet away, it doesn't hold together -- it just looks like a scrambled bunch of lines. Sneaky Pete beats it hands down as a logo graphic (and while some say Pete is too passive, there is something neat about having a smiling passive logo on a car that can eat your lunch!).

I'd say hooray for Ralph and his team. They're pushing in the right direction. I love the return of the curves -- no more confusion between the shape of a Viper and a Corvette -- just push a little harder. Follow the effort you put on the front and refine the rest of the design at least one more notch. Make me drop to my knees and rip my rear pocket off getting out my billfold -- like the original GTS did!