Just when you thought there would be no more newbie questions

Natanelli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just have a few this time. I just bought a 94 RT/10, and now I have to choose what I would like to spend the little extra money I have on. But first I have some questions.

1. Is it possible to get an extended warranty on these vehicles? If so would it be worth it for a 94 Viper with 18,000 miles?

2. Are there any safe mod chips out there that improve perfomrance?

3. Is there anyway to tell if the head gasket was changed without someone telling you? Basically I got it from a wholesale dealor and he didn't have that kind of information.

So here's where I'm stuck, which is more important at this time:
A. Warranty
B. Hard top
C. Head Gasket

Thanks for all your help and patience with a Viper newbie.

SHADOW

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi. I also have a '94. Lucky for me, I haven't had any head gasket issues yet. Best way to tell, is to continually examine, look for stains on engine, etc. plenty of threads on this. But this is the first thing you should look at for sure. Good Viper tech will be your best bet. Or if you are close to Tator in NY. Warranty, I don't think you can - car is too old. Hard top really sets the car off, esp. the double bubble type, I'd get one. New wheels also update the car...email me with any other questions.

Dave.

Early93Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just have a few this time. I just bought a 94 RT/10, and now I have to choose what I would like to spend the little extra money I have on. But first I have some questions.

1. Is it possible to get an extended warranty on these vehicles? If so would it be worth it for a 94 Viper with 18,000 miles?

2. Are there any safe mod chips out there that improve perfomrance?

3. Is there anyway to tell if the head gasket was changed without someone telling you? Basically I got it from a wholesale dealor and he didn't have that kind of information.

So here's where I'm stuck, which is more important at this time:
A. Warranty
B. Hard top
C. Head Gasket

Thanks for all your help and patience with a Viper newbie.

1. Yes there are people out there that give waranties on GEN I vipers. I don't think it would be worth it.

2. VecI and VECII do a search for them. :2tu: I would try opening up the exhaust, smooth tubes (intake) and K&Ns for cheap HP.

3. You will have to replace your head gasket if it hasn't been done already. :(

tarfungo

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yes, you can still get a warranty. The Exotic Warranty Company <http://www.exoticwarranty.com> for example, was/is willing to write a contract for my 95 Viper. They have contracts for a little as one year up to 10 years. I decided against doing so, as it seemed that for the money I would just rather take my chances. You have to read the fine print, as there are a lot of exclusions.

I wouldn’t worry about the head gaskets. You only have one guarantee with your Viper - you’ll have fun driving it! :headbang: There is NO guarantee that you will ever blow your head gaskets despite those who say it is inevitable.

Unless you are planning to self-mechanic your Viper, be prepared to spend big cash on repairs. An oil change at my local dealer is north of $100.00!!! :eek:

There is no local Viper repair guys that I am aware of in my area outside of the local Dodge dealer. You might be luckier than I to have someone who is good in your area who will help you save some money.

My $0.02 is that you enjoy your new car and stop worrying about things that MAY break or fail until they do.

IEATVETS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My .02 cents........
I would get the warranty! Things go wrong sometimes. If you need to replace the gaskets you will not be happy with the bill. If someting happens to the motor or tranny you will not like that bill either. You can "take your chances" if you want to but just remember that these cars are not cheap to fix when they do break.

ROCKET62

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
You can visually see the gasket from below to check if it the old paper style vs. the new multilayer gasket. Here is a pic of the old style with the tell-tale leak.
5122CoolantLeakGasket.jpg

Cost to do it yourself - less than $1k, cost to have someone do it for you $2000-$2500.

Good luck.

ruckdr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Rocket62,
Looks like my picture - OH it is my picture; thanks for posting it, saves me the time to do it.
As Rocket62 said you can see the old hard paper type gasket, and they get hard and brittle. I think the general consensus is; "it's not if, but when" will I change the gaskets. As you can see from the photo, I actually had leaks, and coolant (small amounts) on the floor.
Mods: Put on door poppers if your car does not have them. Check the "How To" section for "Door Solenoids", the cost is low (about $25.00) per door, plus your labor.
Enjoy,