Just Wrecked My Dream Car

OP
OP
S

SYNFULL

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If the car had a "reconstructed title" Why did you have to spend 12K in body work, paint, and parts??? I guess I would assume the car would be salvaged then YOU reconstructed it??? Just a question I would ask a insurance adjuster. Not trying to question your integrity but seems odd.

Also do you have recepits for everything???? I would hope to hell that would make a HUGE differance with the insurance. They love recepits.[/QUO

I bought the car reconstructed, but there were still a lot of things wrong with the car.The hood was crooked none of the lines were straight. The radiator was shot and the front bumper support was no good. The wipers didn't work, the rear defroster didn't work, the car had no sun visors. Also all the hinges were bent. I elected to stripe the car which was most of the paint work. I do have all of the receipts. Unfortunately I had very little access to the car before i bought it. It was an auction and my friend was there buying cars for his business.

Attachments

• NewViper 009.jpg
    NewViper 009.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 73
  • P1000073.jpg
    P1000073.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 42

Timnineside

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ahhhh, I didn't realize it was a ACR either. I could see the money spent. I mean in all reality the car didn't look awful from sitting in the 2nd picture but as we all know it takes a lot of time/money to get those body lines right. On my old RT it was a salvage and I bet you I must have spent 40 hours + trying to get the hood/bumper lines and they still werent great.

Also ive heard of people getting loans on rebuild/salvaged but never knew where! Good to know!

RPHJR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
SYNFULL, yes, Of couse I am looking at this from an Industry standard, how else is there to look at it? I dont know what else your being told. But just remember one thing, Your agent is not writing the check, and maybe doesnt know the difference between the two policies?
Upgrades,mods are in no way considered unless they were specifically endorsed on an agreed policy. I'm sure everyone on here knows that mods are considered spent money.

Im sorry for your loss here, but I'm just trying to give you the correct info. A stated value policy is not replacement cost or agreed. I hope it all works out.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't know if this was already post so apologies in advance. Found this on the internet where, naturally, it must be true. :)

Stated vs. Agreed Value: The Trap Owners Must Learn to Avoid
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]Owners of classic or collectible cars often find themselves in something of an adversarial relationship with their insurance companies. Many new owners of specialty cars simply tack the vehicle on their regular coverage only to find out, generally when they file a claim, that to their insurer that beloved beauty is just an old car with a low Blue Book value.
The best avenue for owners of truly special machines is to go with one of the classic car insurance companies like Hagerty, Grundy, or American Collectors Insurance. Regardless of the insurer used, however, the owner must be prepared to negotiate from a position of knowledge, both about the automobile itself and about to types of insurance coverage, "stated value" and "agreed value." Both carry distinct advantages and disadvantages.

[/FONT]
[/FONT]Stated Value Policies
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]Stated value coverage pays the cost of repair to the car or the stated value of the car, whichever is less, at the time that a claim is filed. There are a number of problems with this type of policy:
• The stated value is actually used only to determine the premium level. The higher the stated value, the higher the premium.
• In the event of a claim, the language of the contract allows the insurer to set an actual cash value instead of paying the stated amount as the insured party was given to believe.
Essentially, the company accepts the owner's stated value at the time the policy is issued, but does not issue any formal agreement with that value in the event of a claim. This gives them considerable leeway in honoring the benefits of the coverage. It's a rule of thumb in insurance that the company will always pay the least amount possible.
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
Agreed Value Policies

[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]Agreed value guarantees a set amount of coverage agreed upon at the time the policy was issued and is generally accepted as the best position for the owners of classics, unique, or highly modified vehicles. It carries a number of advantages:
• Allows the driver to secure and present a professional appraisal of the vehicle that they accept as a valid representation of its worth.
• Unlike standard insurance, the value of your car does no depreciate over the life of the policy.
• Is the only type of coverage that guarantees the owners will be paid in full in the event of a loss.
Obviously agreed value is the prime position. By going with a classic or specialty car insurer, the driver may have to accept some limitation on driving time, but most of these companies are generous with their leisure driving allowances, especially if the car is well-protected and maintained. Insurance companies like to know a car is securely garaged and protected by anti-
theft devices.

By being a knowledgeable negotiator and getting at least three comparison quotes, classic and specialty car owners can find coverage that is both comprehensive and affordable. The trick is to go with a company that appreciates the vehicle's intrinsic value from the start and that specializes in writing unique insurance products.
[/FONT]
[/FONT]

OP
OP
S

SYNFULL

Enthusiast
Reaction score
First thing I read when I had the accident. Thanks Tony, and everyone else for their help.

Don't know if this was already post so apologies in advance. Found this on the internet where, naturally, it must be true. :)

Stated vs. Agreed Value: The Trap Owners Must Learn to Avoid
Owners of classic or collectible cars often find themselves in something of an adversarial relationship with their insurance companies. Many new owners of specialty cars simply tack the vehicle on their regular coverage only to find out, generally when they file a claim, that to their insurer that beloved beauty is just an old car with a low Blue Book value.
The best avenue for owners of truly special machines is to go with one of the classic car insurance companies like Hagerty, Grundy, or American Collectors Insurance. Regardless of the insurer used, however, the owner must be prepared to negotiate from a position of knowledge, both about the automobile itself and about to types of insurance coverage, "stated value" and "agreed value." Both carry distinct advantages and disadvantages.

Stated Value Policies
Stated value coverage pays the cost of repair to the car or the stated value of the car, whichever is less, at the time that a claim is filed. There are a number of problems with this type of policy:
• The stated value is actually used only to determine the premium level. The higher the stated value, the higher the premium.
• In the event of a claim, the language of the contract allows the insurer to set an actual cash value instead of paying the stated amount as the insured party was given to believe.
Essentially, the company accepts the owner's stated value at the time the policy is issued, but does not issue any formal agreement with that value in the event of a claim. This gives them considerable leeway in honoring the benefits of the coverage. It's a rule of thumb in insurance that the company will always pay the least amount possible.

Agreed Value Policies

Agreed value guarantees a set amount of coverage agreed upon at the time the policy was issued and is generally accepted as the best position for the owners of classics, unique, or highly modified vehicles. It carries a number of advantages:
• Allows the driver to secure and present a professional appraisal of the vehicle that they accept as a valid representation of its worth.
• Unlike standard insurance, the value of your car does no depreciate over the life of the policy.
• Is the only type of coverage that guarantees the owners will be paid in full in the event of a loss.
Obviously agreed value is the prime position. By going with a classic or specialty car insurer, the driver may have to accept some limitation on driving time, but most of these companies are generous with their leisure driving allowances, especially if the car is well-protected and maintained. Insurance companies like to know a car is securely garaged and protected by anti-
theft devices.

By being a knowledgeable negotiator and getting at least three comparison quotes, classic and specialty car owners can find coverage that is both comprehensive and affordable. The trick is to go with a company that appreciates the vehicle's intrinsic value from the start and that specializes in writing unique insurance products.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21