K&N air box question

Ulysses

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In theory you will gain a little. What it does, besides isolating the external air from the hot air of the engine compartment, is that it deletes the water block that drops down from the stock box. Thus allowing a less turbulent flow of air through the filters.

ACR Joe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would add to Ulysses' post, that the same effect can be achieved by simply removing the H2O deflector from the stock air box. I modified mine and it works quite well; much more pronouinced intake sound; unquestionably better charge air flow. Check the archives. Someone posted photos of a modded air box not too long ago.

RickV2K

Enthusiast
Reaction score
removed rain baffle and noticed about a 4½ hp gain on dyno. could be + or - but there abouts.

John Myrick

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm not sure you will see any more horsepower. I got ~+20 rear wheel horsepower after adding the K&N airbox to an otherwise stock 97 GTS. Lots of others state that they saw about the same gain from the smooth tubes and K&N's. Lots of intake noise... You can see the filters through the NACA scoop... Got mine from Carparts.com

RickV2K

Enthusiast
Reaction score
same principle as the smooth tubes........correct? less air turbulence in both cases. case closed.

Matt M PA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If memory serves me...the K&N airbox includes a pair of tubes with an "S" curve in each. I would think that using smooth tubes, K&N filters...then removing the water baffle...would make the most direct path to the throttle bodies.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
HP is indeed available for the taking.......

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ACR Joe:
I would add to Ulysses' post, that the same effect can be achieved by simply removing the H2O deflector from the stock air box. I modified mine and it works quite well; much more pronouinced intake sound; unquestionably better charge air flow. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

In addition that very nice and effective HMS Carbon Airbox, PartsRack is offering some "IRS REFUND SPECIALS" on the supplier page. One of these is an Un-baffled OEM new airbox!. Professionaly done, and cost-effective.

As with ALL un-baffled boxes, K+N, HMS, and OE, care should be taken to slow down or even park under a bridge overpass if you get caught during any torrential downpour!

Chuck 97 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jon, what material do you use to cover the hole left by removing the baffle? Plastic? Aluminum sheet?

Matt M PA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jon...what could someone expect in terms of SOTP feel, HP, etc., by taking out the water baffle...or buying one modified from you? I already have the K&Ns and smooth hoses. Thanks!