K&N air filter info for Gen IV.

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
After seeing an informative recent thread here about a 7 HP dyno gain with a K&N air filter I checked K&Ns site but no filter is listed for the 08 or 09, however the one thats used is: K&N for the Mazda RX-8, part # is: 33-2284 from AutoAnything for $50.....:headbang:

wallbanger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
yea i tired it for a month or two but it just didn't seem to seal quite right so i went back to stock...btw my local dealer charges $71 with tax for the stock filter..

BlknBlu

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I understand that there is no HP gains in the filter. SRT Engineers actually worked on the most effective filter for the Gen IV's. Best to stay with stock.

Bruce

OP
OP
V

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I understand that there is no HP gains in the filter. SRT Engineers actually worked on the most effective filter for the Gen IV's. Best to stay with stock.

Bruce
I read that too but look at this weeks post and dyno results on the SRT 10 under "2008 ACR Dyno with Belanger headers ETC." He got 7 HP dyno gain and did a before and after with only the K&N. Sold me. Plus its part of the job for DC people to sell more OEM paper units at $71.00 a piece and not suggest a competitors product.

seabass

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ok, i feel like a retard, bought mine for $125 for a green one... money well spent or did I throw a c-note out the window?!? does anyone call them c-notes anymore either, benjamin's?

word.

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ok, i feel like a retard, bought mine for $125 for a green one... money well spent or did I throw a c-note out the window?!? does anyone call them c-notes anymore either, benjamin's?
word.

LOL...there IS a C-NOTE on here as his username~! :)
BTW: You are listed as an 'enthusiast', do you have a Viper? If so, Private Message your VIN# to the moderators, who will UPGRADE you to VIPER OWNER (lee00blacksilvergts or kcobean). We have bought the 'green' air filters before and actually liked them better than K&N, can't say how they actually dyno'd, but as SOTP?
Felt like a bit more HP. Plus they seemed to let more air thru, just our opinion.
So, JOIN UP...and while you're at it, join your regional VCA too! :2tu: ~juli
(Call 1-800-998-1110...if you do so today or tomorrow, you can buy the raffle tickets for the beautiful raffle car, only by MAY 1ST...drawing is May 15th, you can do both by phone to JRT/Viper HQ)

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I read that too but look at this weeks post and dyno results on the SRT 10 under "2008 ACR Dyno with Belanger headers ETC." He got 7 HP dyno gain and did a before and after with only the K&N. Sold me. Plus its part of the job for DC people to sell more OEM paper units at $71.00 a piece and not suggest a competitors product.

Im pretty sure that was our great customer......but I would not take as gospel 7HP on a 600 HP motor. Why? The floor dyno is 98.5% accurate, so within 9 HP.

And I have a question in to KN engineering if this (reported above as) loose-fitting-filter for a Mazda is rated for 505 cu inch and the CFM of a V-10. Stay Tuned ?

Last edited:
OP
OP
V

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Im pretty sure that was our great customer......but I would not take as gospel 7HP on a 600 HP motor. Why? The floor dyno is 98.5% accurate, so within 9 HP.

And I have a question in to KN engineering if this loose-fitting-filter for a Mazda is rated for 505 cu inch and the CFM of a V-10. Stay Tuned ?
If the Mazda filter is considered "loose" which one do you and another vendor sell, as on the K&N web site they dont list a filter available for the 08 or 09 Viper????

rcl4668

Enthusiast
Reaction score

And I have a question in to KN engineering if this loose-fitting-filter for a Mazda is rated for 505 cu inch and the CFM of a V-10. Stay Tuned ?

Thanks for doing this Jon; I tried asking some similar questions on the K&N website but never got a response. I assume you will command a better response.

/Rich

Skeeter Blanton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I checked with K&N months ago on the Mazda filter and they said to not use it on either 08 or 09...When I asked why, I was told "because it was not designed or tested for a Viper with that much HP"......

sparks

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For 7hp, is it really worth using it when it hasnt been tested ? 20hp would never even be noticed let alone 7hp.Rather spend the $50 on oil....

Last edited:

seabass

Enthusiast
Reaction score
LOL...there IS a C-NOTE on here as his username~! :)
BTW: You are listed as an 'enthusiast', do you have a Viper? If so, Private Message your VIN# to the moderators, who will UPGRADE you to VIPER OWNER (lee00blacksilvergts or kcobean). We have bought the 'green' air filters before and actually liked them better than K&N, can't say how they actually dyno'd, but as SOTP?
Felt like a bit more HP. Plus they seemed to let more air thru, just our opinion.
So, JOIN UP...and while you're at it, join your regional VCA too! :2tu: ~juli
(Call 1-800-998-1110...if you do so today or tomorrow, you can buy the raffle tickets for the beautiful raffle car, only by MAY 1ST...drawing is May 15th, you can do both by phone to JRT/Viper HQ)
thx juli, wish there were more vipers and activity in iowa/midwest:) i'm saving my vca membership for when I do a track day. yep, got an 09 coupe, posted some pics of it in the stereo thread...

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
thx juli, wish there were more vipers and activity in iowa/midwest:) i'm saving my vca membership for when I do a track day. yep, got an 09 coupe, posted some pics of it in the stereo thread...

With the 2009, your membership has been FREE...you just need to PM your VIN# to the moderators I mentioned....and you may have to call JRT/Viper HQ to follow-up on the free membership (giving your VIN#, and they in turn give you your VCA#) to get your VCA# (needed by the moderators to UPGRADE you to VCA Member/put in your avatar/use the illustrateds, etc.). I hear ya on events in your particular area..but you'd already want to be a VCA Member before any track days come up. I'll check out your stereo thread, love the '09s....:2tu::2tu: ~juli

seabass

Enthusiast
Reaction score
thx juli! you're the best, i'm on it now! i kinda wondered about that but we'll see:)

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
thx juli! you're the best, i'm on it now! i kinda wondered about that but we'll see:)

No problem~! Any questions, Kcobean is EX-tremely helpful. OR JRT/Viper HQ @
1-800-998-1110 (gotta have your VIN# when you call them, or PM the moderators)
WELCOME! ~juli

Herc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For 7hp, is it really worth using it when it hasnt been tested ? 20hp would never even be noticed let alone 7hp.Rather spend the $50 on oil....

I wonder you would get a little better engine sound? Works for some of the other
cars I have owned, along with a few hp.

RD:usa:

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I wonder you would get a little better engine sound? Works for some of the other cars I have owned, along with a few hp. RD:usa:

Dodge was 'forced' by Feds to quiet the intake decibel increments for "pass-by' sound regs. Especially on a sidepipe car like G1 and G3-4

On 08-09, the smoothe-tubes enhance the sound a bit, vs the accordian-style OE, making the hood-duct a bit more audible as well. Same story for 03-06 with KN FIPK or even greens.

SilveRT8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dodge was 'forced' by Feds to quiet the intake decibel increments for "pass-by' sound regs. Especially on a sidepipe car like G1 and G3-4

On 08-09, the smoothe-tubes enhance the sound a bit, vs the accordian-style OE, making the hood-duct a bit more audible as well. Same story for 03-06 with KN FIPK or even greens.

I got the smoothe-tubes in red + K&N filter from JonB. Here's a pic
You must be registered for see images attach

OP
OP
V

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
7 horses :omg:

What a waste of time and server memory...:eater:
I agree, and you have taken up some of this memory here as I have. Its funny how many will spend $1500.00 though for exhaust and only 12 hp.:omg: Guess this waste of memory is right up there with threads like: "what IS your Viper cost" "what do you Viper owners do for a living", Obama threads, and worst of all, drum roll please, "Zaino".......

wallbanger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
From previous threads i do not believe there has been a CEL with the K&N...there has been a CEL when a tuner removed the stock filter with the engine running...

08ACRVTEN00GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What is this memory crap? This websites purpose is to inform and discuss the viper, what does if matter how much someone will pay for extra horses.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang