Kansas City Dyno Results! (BIG photos)

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, sorry for the delay, but I had a little photo work to take care of! Following is a brief (okay, not-so-brief) coverage of Kansas City's Dyno Day. There are some large graphics, so please be patient while they load (especially if you are on dial-up). It was a GREAT day! We arrived bright and early (an hour before the Dyno opened) and swapped stories. Gary showed up with his recently returned Doug Levin creation and we got to see quite a show as he demonstrated his burn-out technique on the way into the lot. We were on our feet, as there was no mistaking the supercharger whine and all it represented.

Knowing that I was destined to win every class that day, including the Gen I class, I decided to try on the trophies for size:

<center>
You must be registered for see images
</center>

We had drawn a VERY generous sponsor for our Dyno Day, some Doug Levin fella out of Florida. While he didn't know if Gary's car would place, he wanted to take care of the group that so patiently waited to see this incredible car - not the least of which were Gary and Nancy! Our thanks to Doug for his generosity. Okay, now for the results! These pictures may be a little big, but I wanted to get you the graphs and everything. Year and modifications precede the graph:

<center><FONT size="4"><FONT COLOR="red">1994 RT/10 - Borla headers, hi-flow cats, Borla race mufflers, smooth tubes, filters, aluminum flywheel, and Roe Racing VEC 1</FONT c></FONT s>

<FONT size="4"><FONT COLOR="red">1999 RT/10 - 3" Race Magnum cat-back exhaust, 3.54 gears, tubes & filters</FONT c></FONT s>

<FONT size="4"><FONT COLOR="red">1999 GTS - Autoform airbox, Borla side exhaust (cat-back), tubes & filters</FONT c></FONT s>

<FONT size="4"><FONT COLOR="red">2001 GTS - 3" Corsa cat-back exhaust, smooth tubes & filters</FONT c></FONT s>

<FONT size="4"><FONT COLOR="red">2000 GTS (not mine, but awfully close) - Smooth tubes & filters</FONT c></FONT s>

<FONT size="4"><FONT COLOR="red">2000 GTS - Corsa 2.5" cat-back, smooth tubes & filters</FONT c></FONT s>

</center>

OP
OP
Y

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Of course, in the middle of this we have a few folks that wanted to get a ride in a Viper. The folks from The Common Driver Automotive e-Magazine were covering the event, so we got them a couple rides, including one with Greg Williams, our resident lunatic (you will see what I mean later). You may recall that Greg did some incredible doughnuts outside a local autocross last summer, thereby getting banned until approximately 2017. Having learned his lesson well, he did a few burnouts on the way in and out of the parking lot. He didn't see what we saw as he came into the lot:

No worries, he hid in the dumpster for about an hour. Now we know how he gets all the babes. Anyway, on with the show...

<center><FONT size="4"><FONT COLOR="red">2001 GTS - Belanger headers, Corsa exhaust, hi-flow cats, aluminum flywheel, 3.56 gears, smooth tubes & filters</FONT c></FONT s>

<FONT size="4"><FONT COLOR="red">2000 RT/10 - Smooth tubes & filters</FONT c></FONT s>

<FONT size="4"><FONT COLOR="red">1998 GTS - Belanger headers, Borla 3" exhaust, aluminum flywheel, VEC 1, Random Flow cats, Smooth tubes & filters</FONT c></FONT s>

<FONT size="4"><FONT COLOR="red">1998 RT/10 - Hennessey Venom 650R package, side exhaust</FONT c></FONT s>

</center>

On that last graph note that there is one run (in green) that seems surprisingly low. Well, that run is from LAST year when Kendall had this car with a Venom 600 package. Not happy with his run, the car went down to Houston right after that dyno and the results are more to his liking!

And now for the one we were ALL waiting for...

<center><FONT size="4"><FONT COLOR="red">1994 RT/10 - Doug Levin Supercharger, intercooler, TNT rockers, port & polished heads, headers, hi-flow cats, hi-flow mufflers</FONT c></FONT s></center>

<center>
</center>

OP
OP
Y

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So, there you have it! We had an absolute blast and Gary's car was simply incredible. Of course, Kendall's 650R was also stupendous and it sounded awesome. He just had a tough time following up Gary's monster. So as far as classes went, Gary won the King of the Dyno award. Jerry won with his '98 GTS for the Modified (bolt-ons only - no internal work). Matt "Where is my dang e-mail?" Kovac nailed down the stock Gen I class (well, it wasn't exactly stock, but he and Gary were the only Gen I's that showed). And then there was Greg. All day he is bugging EVERYBODY about their numbers and was the first to the monitor every time (yep, in Norman's video too). "HA!" was heard as he announced he was still leading the stock Gen II class. When the mighty GTS of Yours Truly hit the drums, he could only tremble in the corner. Alas, I kinda neglected to clean my airfilters in the last 23,000 miles or so and forgot to do it before I arrived. My once-unbeatable 436 rwhp was watered down to a measly 422 rwhp. Of course, Greg is ALWAYS the sportsman, especially after I gave him his trophy:

<center>
</center>

Sigh... So it was a great day, even with that Greg guy (and yes, he is one of my bestest buds in the club). I thought this picture summed it up well:

<center>
</center>

Hope you liked!

Chris

PS. Before I forget, I also wanted to thank the guys at MC Racing for some GREAT support. They picked up lunch for us and even went parts shopping when one of the Vipers had a slight hiccup. They are some great guys and do some serious tuning on the cars around KC (when I picked up the dyno sheets today they were tuning a C5 they had just supercharged). They were awed by Levin's work, so maybe it is time for Doug to open up Levin Motorsports North...
smile.gif
Thanks to Mark and the gang at MC Racing!

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score
WOW, those cars are all so shiney.. I need to go wax my car again... NOT! Sounds like fun!
The graph on the DLM car is so freaking smooth...tuned to perfection...!!

Gerald

Sniper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chris-That was a great event to attend!!! I want to thank you for letting my father-in-law dyno his Ram-Air WS-6. He was really happy about it!!! And this is one awesome post on the K.C. dyno day! And thanks to (I think his name was) Randy for letting us dyno before you, I really appreciate it! We did win all 3 volleyball games FYI.

onerareviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Y2KGTS,

Looks like the 2.5 Corsa did great... It looks like on a fairly stock car the 2.5 vs. 3.0 exhaust, there isn't much difference. Do you agree? Also, were you running the stock cats? Just curious....

Note: I am running the 2.5 Corsa and Sean Roe Oval High-Flow cats, and love this combination. Sound and performance....

Later

LQQK_OUT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Aren't the HP & Torque curves supposed to intersect at 5250 RPMs? It doesn't look like some of these runs do on the posted graphs. I do see a RPM=*** on the side of the graphs. Do I need to manually plot a conversion to see the actually HP & Torque at various RPMs?

Brett

randall

Enthusiast
Reaction score
onerareviper,

the all black gts w/ the 2.5 is mine,and i still have the stock cats.look how smooth my lines are,shoud've been a trophy for that too
laugh.gif

BTW,thanks Chris for all the time you spent putting this together,i guess if anyone in the world deserves to get $72000 for a pink hot-wheels it would be you!
laugh.gif

treynor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chris,
Thanks for putting this together. I felt like I was there!

Brett,
You are correct that HP = TQ at 5252 RPM. The graphs don't intersect at that RPM because they are showing HP and TQ on two different scales. Look at the right and left sides of the dyno sheets, and you'll see that the left side lists the scale for HP, the right side for TQ, and they're not the same.

Gear Grabbn Gary

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dan, I understand that your car is getting closer every day. I know that you will be just as happy with your car as I am with mine when you do get it back.