Keys

JeffTheViperMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
While swapping out my Cognac steering wheel with a black one, I accidentally broke the ring that runs around the top of my Viper key (left it in the ignition - d'oh!)

I've already ordered a replacement from the Viper Store (*chuckles* at the $45 dollar price...) but started to wonder if I could just get a generic Dodge key from a dealership that would run the car. My 01 Stratus has a transponder key, the gray-rubber-tipped kind. I know the Viper Keys didn't have transponders, and I know I can buy the same appearance key that doesn't have a transponder for less than $20. (Used to work at a Chrysler dealership.)

Has anyone else done this? Those rubber tip keys are pretty indestructable - I figured I'd just use it for "general" usage driving.

Jeff

Chipster

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I got my key off ebay. Arrived in a day or two for like $25-30 bucks and it was a dollar and change to get keyed at a local place.

OP
OP
J

JeffTheViperMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Alright cool. I'm pretty sure my dealership has Dodge keys too (they're a Chrysler/Jeep dealership, but used to have a Dodge sister dealership until they went out of business...)

Thanks.

OP
OP
J

JeffTheViperMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm afraid it's not for sale - for now I plan on keeping all the original parts - just as the previous owner did - in the event that I ever need/want to resell it.

Now, if I end up repainting the car and replacing the entire interior, then I'll consider selling off the parts.

Sorry Austin - nothing personal. Just keeping myself mindful of the future.

Jeff