Knock Me Down

Kevan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've researched it the last week or so, but I figured I'd toss the final call to the REAL experts:

I believe I'm the first person to run true AN lines for the heater hoses on a Viper engine.

If someone can show me true AN lines (not worm-gear clamps with AN-type covers, or AN lines with a bunch of adapters inline), I will be humbled and fully recant my claim.

I'm not looking for any notoriety or anything like that.
I just can't believe that in it's almost-20 year history, I'm the first guy to do it to a Viper engine.

If you've got 'em, post up the pics. Knock me down! :D

(I'd post my DIY article- with all the pics- but I'm not allowed in that section here. Sorry folks. Rules is rules.)

OP
OP
K

Kevan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"AN" stands for "Air Force/Navy", and it's a type of flared metal-to-metal sealing connector that was originally used in aerospace but is very popular with the automotive crowd now too.

You've seen them before, usually on show cars. They've got the red/blue fittings with the nice stainless steel braided lines. Usually you'll see them on dual carb setups, handling the fuel lines.

Here's a quick example:
You must be registered for see images attach

END OF LESSON
:D

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Kev...if I'm not mistaken, a local fella who owns a Twin-Turbo 2003 Viper has those lines...he's not in this country right now, so I cannot ask him for sure. I know he had the car all redone and put in stainless steel lines EVERYwhere. *I still love your VIPER TRUCK, dude!* ~juli

OP
OP
K

Kevan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the compliment, Juli!

I've seen almost all the engine bays from the uber-builders (Underground, DC, Heffner, Roe, "H-word", etc.), and while many have done *other* lines with braid and AN, I haven't seen the heater hoses done.

When I stumped the veteran guy at JEGS with this project, I knew I was on to something. :)

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'd guess you probably win.

Too expensive for my taste to use high pressure lines for my heater. I didn't even buy those expnsive Silicone/Red Rad hoses.

Ted

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd like one for the high pressure power steering hose because that's the hose most often replaced. But I don't know if steel braided would make it better or worse being that it is so close to the headers.

Jerome Sparich

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"AN" stands for "Air Force/Navy", and it's a type of flared metal-to-metal sealing connector that was originally used in aerospace but is very popular with the automotive crowd now too.

You've seen them before, usually on show cars. They've got the red/blue fittings with the nice stainless steel braided lines. Usually you'll see them on dual carb setups, handling the fuel lines.

Here's a quick example:
You must be registered for see images attach

END OF LESSON
:D

Not exactly the end of the lesson

Look back further and you will find AN actually stand for Army/Navy

The sizes are list as -x (dash #)

The dash sizes equate to the size in 16ths on an inch.

Example, -8 = 8/16" or 1/2"

-6 = 6/16" or 3/8"

-16 = 1"

-20 = 1 and 1/4"

OP
OP
K

Kevan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I want EVERYTHING on my car to have those! But with red and black ends (to match my color scheme).
That's exactly what I did with the truck.
You can get the connectors in a bunch of color options- red/blue, red/black, all black, chrome(which is really polished alum), brushed, ....

I'd like one for the high pressure power steering hose because that's the hose most often replaced. But I don't know if steel braided would make it better or worse being that it is so close to the headers.
I'm using nylon braided lines that also have steel braiding in the middle of the rubber portion of the tubing.
My theory is that nylon will not retain heat, and thus let the components run a little cooler. It's also MUCH easier to work with.
We've got a little more room in the truck's engine bay than you guys do in the cars, but...maybe a re-route (if possible) to get the lines away from the headers?

Not exactly the end of the lesson

Look back further and you will find AN actually stand for Army/Navy
I was told Air Force/Navy.
It made sense and I never questioned it because both have a buttload of aircraft/planes that would use that type of connector.
How about we just say "Military Connector"? LOL

(I just did a quick search and found this on Wiki: AN thread - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
They also say "Air Force/Navy"....though I usually take Wiki info with a few pounds of salt)

OP
OP
K

Kevan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A quick bump for the weekend visitors.....

Also, after finishing leak testing (unfun) and taking the truck for a bunch of runs, I'm happy to report engine temp is down about 5-8 degrees.
I'm sure some of that is weather related (30F outside today), but I think some of it comes from the new lines and their inability to retain heat.

With how hot these things run, I'll take every degree I can get! :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ctrengine