KW suspension on ‘93 GEN 1?

BahrainiViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Recently acquired a 1993 Gen 1 Viper. Considering better ride quality. Been looking into KW coilovers and seems they only produce V2 for Gen 1. However, their parts list states it’s for 94+ which makes me wonder what changes between 93 & 94 in terms of suspension!

Any feedback gents?

Part number was 15227014

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Guys, while I have no hands on experience with the suspension of 92, 93, or 94...there must be some differences among the GenI years judged by the parts catalog:

4643 1152 1992 w/Coil Spring 4709 0512 1993-95 w/Coil Spring 5012 650AA2 1993-95 (BUSHING w/04709051 only)
4855 1682 1996 w/Coil Spring

BahrainiViper, I hope this helps !!

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Then it looks like '92s had different coil-overs than '93-95. Bushings are replaceable. My recollection is that the rear shocks are quite a bit longer than the fronts and have conventional lower eyes. The '96+ rear shocks are much shorter and lower bodies thread into a cast aluminum clevis that straddles the half-shaft on each side.

OP
OP
BahrainiViper

BahrainiViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't believe there is any substantial difference in coil-overs between '92 and '95.

The '96RT got the Gen2 frame and suspension.
I believe so. I don’t understand why it’s so expensive for the viper tho. I got a V3 for $2,700 on my other ride

I will contact KW for further info

Thanks gents for the replies

Dan Cragin

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
BC does not have a option for the Gen 1's. The KW option is suspect, as I never could get it in the day, very pricey as well.

Your Koni shocks can be rebuilt and upgraded, which makes a
big difference. Problem is, you have to send them out for 8-10 weeks.

MCS also can build a system for the Gen 1, I have never installed one but have the specs and its a top notch system. About $3600

I believe Cory at Snake Oyl Products built a system for the Gen 1's
as well. I never could get the springs rates sorted though. This was years ago and most likely has changed if available.

The production shocks tend to be over sprung and under dampened.
What are your concerns with the current suspension?

OP
OP
BahrainiViper

BahrainiViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
BC does not have a option for the Gen 1's. The KW option is suspect, as I never could get it in the day, very pricey as well.

Your Koni shocks can be rebuilt and upgraded, which makes a
big difference. Problem is, you have to send them out for 8-10 weeks.

MCS also can build a system for the Gen 1, I have never installed one but have the specs and its a top notch system. About $3600

I believe Cory at Snake Oyl Products built a system for the Gen 1's
as well. I never could get the springs rates sorted though. This was years ago and most likely has changed if available.

The production shocks tend to be over sprung and under dampened.
What are your concerns with the current suspension?
Suspension isn’t bad but isn’t great tbh. Car isn’t smooth on highways or urbans. Drives like a 90s car

After trying KW and other good suspensions on some other rides for both road and track, I knew how it changes the car dynamics. Give more of a modern feel

And I don’t think my Koni shocks are shot given I only have 9000 miles on the car

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It drives like a 90's car because it IS a 90's car. The OE Konis are single adjustable - but I don't know if that only affects the rebound side, or both bump and rebound at the same time. You have to remove the damper assemblies from the car, then remove the springs from the coilovers to make shock adjustments. Not real simple, but doesn't cost anything except time and spring compressor rental.

white out

Enthusiast
Reaction score
GEN1 & GEN2 are not interchangeable, completely different mounts.
I have set of GEN1 BC available.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thiagets