Lap times for Viper at Mid-Ohio

Richard Koch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It looks like they are about 2 seconds off the pace of the Corvette. I think they will have a lot of things to sort out in this first race. It has been a long time since the Vipers have run in competition with factory backing, but with their help things will get much faster in the next few races.

OP
OP
N

nitro

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It looks like they are about 2 seconds off the pace of the Corvette. I think they will have a lot of things to sort out in this first race. It has been a long time since the Vipers have run in competition with factory backing, but with their help things will get much faster in the next few races.

I have been waiting for this day forever! Viper Cup racing is good to watch but I want to see Vipers feasting on other prey.

My son and I will be at the Petite LeMans in October, I hope they plan to race there.

VYPR BYT 94

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bet they're just feeling it out. :)

The restrictions will hurt others more than viper... it will torque it's way out of the turns like no other. :fingersx:

bushido

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Yes not too shabby on the 1st outing..

viper GTS-R

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They also ran less laps than most of the others. I think Corvette racing ran a total of 105 laps combined, where as the GTS-R's ran only 44. Quite interesting. Makes me wonder if there taking it easy or saving their equipment for tomorrow.

--RS

bushido

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Some driver quotes..

SRT Motorsports made its long-awaited debut in the American Le Mans Series presented by Tequila Patrón on Thursday in testing for the Mid-Ohio Sports Car Challenge. The two SRT Viper GTS-Rs hit the track for the first time after the manufacturer announced in April that it was bringing a two-car factory Viper program to ALMS for the first time since 2000.

The No. 91 Viper of Dominik Farnbacher and Kuno Wittmer was 11th in GT on Thursday at 1:22.891 (98.066 mph). Two spots down was the No. 93 entry of Marc Goossens and Tommy Kendall.

“First of all I want to thank the whole SRT team for putting this together. It’s been a hell of a few months,” said Farnbacher, who posted the team’s best lap Thursday. “We’ve been working day and night, and thanks to the team for working day and night.

“The car feels fantastic,” he added. “The first time out it already feels very good. Of course, the first time out we have a little fine-tuning to do on the setup, but other than that it’s a fantastic car. I think we’re heading the right way. It feels good so far.”

The SRT Vipers – constructed by Riley Technologies – went through a thorough testing schedule that included multiple days at Mid-Ohio in the past month. Adding to the challenge is the immensely competitive GT class that includes factory and works-supported efforts from BMW, Chevrolet, Porsche, Ferrari and Lotus.

“There are goals and expectations,” Kendall said. “A driver’s goal is to always come out and win the race. The expectation though is to learn as much as we can. We’ve done a lot of testing and have a lot of questions in our minds about where we stand. We want to get as many miles as we can. We’re under no illusions about what we’ve gotten into. We picked a pretty deep and stocked pool to jump in.”

The Mid-Ohio Sports Car Challenge is set for 1 p.m. ET on Saturday, Aug. 4 from the 2.25-mile, 13-turn Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course. ABC’s broadcast featuring live coverage begins at 2 p.m. ET.

The Mid-Ohio Sports Car Challenge is set for 1 p.m. ET on Saturday, Aug. 4 from the 2.25-mile, 13-turn Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course. ABC’s broadcast featuring live coverage begins at 2 p.m. ET. Enhanced coverage begins at 12:45 p.m. ET on ALMS.com's Race Central.

SSGNRDZ_28

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Give them time - they are up against a big challenge coming in mid-season like this with a new car even if they have had some testing already. It's not really a measure of the potential of the car especially compared to the other cars who have been tweaking on their cars for quite some time now.

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
2 seconds a lap is a lifetime. What? Lose about 70-80 yards on front running machines per lap? That puts the car in moving chichane territory. So where is it losing so much time? Braking? Corners? Straights??? or all of the above?

MTGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The #91 didn't qualify today as they are having to swap a motor due to some misfires. Dominick was interviewed and said they had it in the morning practice which they completed 10 laps. They put up a 1:22.xx with misfires, things should get better tomorrow as long as they fix the problem. They will be starting from the back though

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It would be nice if the Vipers can come in and win right away a la Mclaren F1 GTR's but I suspected it would be a hard series to come in and compete right away in this class. Its going to take some time....Even Corvette Racing couldn't come in and win right away in this class and they haven't been away from ALMS as long as the Viper racing program has. Give them time. I'm just glad they are back in ALMS.

Newport Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
2 seconds a lap is a lifetime. What? Lose about 70-80 yards on front running machines per lap? That puts the car in moving chichane territory. So where is it losing so much time? Braking? Corners? Straights??? or all of the above?

Looks like it is short on power to me. ;) Why can't they just run it with the 640HP :)
Engine:
8.0L V10
HP:
455 HP (Restricted by Series)

Mister Viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Viper faithful: like you, we in the Home Office, are very glad to be racing our new gen 5 baby against the world's best (seriously). ALMS is the most competitive sports car racing series on the planet today, maybe because America is the most lucrative sports car market?... do you suppose?

Please watch our racing progress with the patience you would watch your child progressing in a new sport: after all, we are racing where we have not been dominant for 12 years. And although we won all the gold decades ago, we now have a field full of world-class (and proven) competitors who are very good at today's game. So please give your baby some time to relearn this game. (thanks!)

Viper is America's Supercar. We will not let you down.

Thank you very much for your enthusiasm, and your support!

Alabaster Mamba

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Viper faithful: like you, we in the Home Office, are very glad to be racing our new gen 5 baby against the world's best (seriously). ALMS is the most competitive sports car racing series on the planet today, maybe because America is the most lucrative sports car market?... do you suppose?

Please watch our racing progress with the patience you would watch your child progressing in a new sport: after all, we are racing where we have not been dominant for 12 years. And although we won all the gold decades ago, we now have a field full of world-class (and proven) competitors who are very good at today's game. So please give your baby some time to relearn this game. (thanks!)

Viper is America's Supercar. We will not let you down.

Thank you very much for your enthusiasm, and your support!

Oh I suspect you guys could win if this race was run on fan enthusiasm alone. We will always stand by the Viper. Good luck on all of the tracks and you guys are making us proud just being back on the track. And "Give em hell!".

ArnarFB

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When does the race start and is it streamed somewhere online?

viper GTS-R

Enthusiast
Reaction score
2 pm est on espn3.com or you can also watch the race live on Xbox 360. The race will be on CBS.

#91 is alive and well, currently P9 in GT Practice this morning. Kuno is driving.

--RS

VYPR BYT 94

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Practice laps an hour ago... my son in the orange getting video.

You must be registered for see images attach

Sorry for the cell phone quality.

ArnarFB

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Practice laps an hour ago... my son in the orange getting video.

You must be registered for see images attach

Sorry for the cell phone quality.

Don't worry, the picture is great :) Would love to be there myself.

Got a Samsung Galaxy S3 myself and its just amazing how good cell phone cameras have gotten. A few years ago, cell phone pictures would have been a pixelated, blurry and over-exposed mess. Today they're just as good as those mid-class pocket cameras.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Drock187