Launch control

broomrider

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have never used launch control on my viper. I have really wanted to but just don't exactly know the inside and out of it. Is it worthwhile
To try it? Is it all that, really? I have watched you tube videos till my eyes hurt. What advice is out there concerning this. Have you done it?
Please post the pros and cons. Inquiring Broom wants to know.

3whitevipers

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Broom--
Hope you get an answer, as I've ordered an Extreme ACR, which will have the same launch control. I googled "2016 Viper ACR" and found a SRT site that discussed the launch control by the engineer who developed it. I'm not sure that I could find it again, but I'll try. Give it a try also--you might get lucky (very hard for me considering I'm 70-Ha-Ha)--Dave

Jdmuscle

Enthusiast
Reaction score
when I went to the track first time with my gen V, I was curious and wanted to see if I could use it. Given that it holds the rpm at 5k and its an instant shock to the driveline when you use it wasn't too sure I ever want to try it. I'd much rather pedal the car out of the hole. Maybe someone with more experience can chime in...

OP
OP
broomrider

broomrider

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know my question could be self answered by just trying it but I want to enjoy it correctly with out tearing something up or ending up around a tree. Maybe I need to
Just go to the runway at our airfield and let her fly. That old make great go pro video huh guys?

pitdad

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great topic Broom.

The "launch" instructions I read left me sceptical and I've never used mine.

I know computer control is supposed to protect the engine, but the idea of holding the throttle open and then "locking" it there before "dumping" the clutch doesn't seem like a very friendly thing to do to my shiny friend with 2k miles.

I was actually in disbelief when I read the manual about how to use launch control. I read it several times to make sure I wasn't misunderstanding.

I'm getting to be an old guy, but I clearly remember a number of hot rod drive shafts on the ground in the high school parking lot (including mine) because of "dumped" clutches. I'm in agreement with "Jdmuscle" on the idea of driveline shock.

Dodge/SRT added this feature to the car and has to warrant it, so they must be confident that the car can handle that kind of abuse. I've always been curious how many of the engine failures (heart attacks) occurred during or shortly after "launch".

A runway or big open area is the right place to test it. Make sure to post your experience if you let it rip.

Last edited:

98RT98

Enthusiast
Reaction score
as pitdad said--- A runway or big open area is the right place to test it. Make sure to post your experience if you let it rip.[/QUOTE]

I asked my dealer who are racers about launch control he told me DONT try it on the street make sure your in a area with lots of room.

pitdad

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well??? Did you let the horses loose or think better of it?

OP
OP
broomrider

broomrider

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm still working on getting a location squared away. I've even discussed with my husband about trying it. He said hell yes let's do it. He said that he has wanted
to for weeks now but he feared my wrath if he did it before I tried it. He also stated I would have to sign a no complaints agreement with him for trying it.:lmao:
I said not a chance. However, I spoke to a gentleman that has used it. I explained my concerns about possible engine issues after. He sad that the engines are built for that abuse. He also said the wheel slippage is designed to protect the drive train. I am not afraid of it. Just wanted to be assured and find out if there
were Suggestions by previous users. He also said to make sure it was a huge open area.

pitdad

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds like you have a good plan. Looking forward to hearing about it.

whatthe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
have used launch control on my 2013 vette a couple of times rpms settle around 4000 dump clutch a little wheel spin and off you go its a kick give it a try

Flylow

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I did it on a small farm road, no worries. Massive amount of wheel spin, and 4.7 seconds to 60. Kind of useless if you want to accelerate fast but it was fun.

SharpMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There are three things that can happen;

1) Tire slip
2) Clutch slip
3) Neither slip and you grenade the drivetrain

With a 5000 rpm sidestep you can pretty much count on #1.