Leaking Oil Pan on 1996 GTS

jerryk96GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am finally sick of the oil drips on my garage floor and plan to pull the oil pan on my 9500 mile '96 GTS and replace the oil pan gasket....my question is does anyone have a recommendation on a better than stock Dodge oil pan gasket that hopefully is thicker/less prone to leaks than the stock Dodge gasket? Any source for replacement aftermarket gasket would be appreciated.

Jerry Kircher
1996 GTS

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
The oil pan gasket was updated later in the GTS production. When you buy a new one, it is the one you will get. However, I strongly recomend upgrading to the larger 00+ oil pan & windage tray at the same time while you are "there" anyway, especially if the car is driven hard.

OP
OP
J

jerryk96GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Daniel,

Thanks for the response....apparently the gaskets on the early 1996 GTSs have been a problem not only on the oil pan but also on the timing cover. I had my timing cover gasket replaced under warranty at about 5000 miles on the car due to leaking oil and antifreeze from the timing cover. They installed a later configuration timing cover gasket and cured the first leak....now the oil pan itself is seeping at the block mounting surfaces....another weak design original gasket apparently. Is there an updated part number needed or will they just give me a better gasket automatically?

The car is a part time straight line driver....no road racing or cornering so I'll probably stay with the stock oil pan but thanks for the counsel.

Jerry Kircher

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There are many sources of oil leaks on GTS's, especially 1996. Many appear to emanate from the oil pan gasket, though few actually do.

I'd suggest cleaning underneath thoroughly, adding a small bottle of Mopar 4n1 UV leak detection dye and running it for a bit. You'll need a UV (black?) light to see but it might save you in the end. My Viper tech let me borrow his light and goggles which made the dye very visable.

I've had a rear main seal leak, cam plug leak and now looks like the dreaded timing cover gasket leak. Both the rear main and cam plug looked a lot like the oil pan gasket surprisingly enough.

I do agree with Daniel on the oil pan upgrade. They didn't rev the pan without reason.

SSSSE YA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
MY 1997 GTSs leeks from the oil pan and also from the timing cover. I had my oil pan gasket replaced under warranty and now back again for the timing cover too. :( :usa:

Jerry Dobson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here is the problem. Many Vipers get the front timing cover water leak. The repairs call for Timing Cover Gasket. But then you have disturbed the oil pan gasket. The timing cover sits on top of the front of the oil pan. Any gasket that is disturbed after being seated needs to be replaced. The procedure shows that the oil pan can be left in place. I do not agree with this.

To repair the front cover, the oil pan should be removed first. Fix the front cover and then reinstall the oil pan. Is your leak at the front of the pan? Could the front cover repair have created this new leak?

Viper Oil pans are not cheap.

Y2K10 SRT#39

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hmmm- I have 30,000 miles on my 96 GTS.
No leaks, no worries. Couple of years ago, got the deeper pan with the windage tray (and gasket) from PartsRack. Simple installation, no leaks.

OP
OP
J

jerryk96GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks to all for their inputs....I'm the original owner of of 96 GTS...front timing cover started leaking at 4,000 miles...was replaced under warranty....oil pan has been slowly dripping since about 6,000 miles but I didn't really think about the small leak too much until recently and my extended 5 yr/50,000 mile warranty has now expired as the car is 7 years old although with only 9,500 miles on it.

I went by my local Dodge dealer today to buy a replacement oil pan gasket and planned to pull the pan and replace the gasket myself when the weather gets warmer here in Maryland. I was informed by the parts guy that Dodge would only sell me an oil pan gasket ($113 for the gasket) if I also bought a new, updated oil pan as well for an additional $700!!! All I want to do is replace the gasket with a little silicone sealant to ensure no leaks and be done with no drips on the garage floor! I'll live with my 2-3 drips on the garage floor for $+800 to Dodge. Can someone let me know where I can purchase just an oil pan gasket....this is pretty crazy to be held hostage by Dodge who won't sell me an oil pan gasket.

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chuck Tator or Jon B.

Have purchased the gasket alone before and I also have a 1996 GTS.

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A couple of drips are a good thing.A little drop or mist blown back along the car will slow down any rusting going on.I prefer all vehicles to leak a LITTLE oil. Bruce

OP
OP
J

jerryk96GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ron,

Thanks for Chuck Tator's name....I called him and he was astounded what my local dealer was trying to do to get me to also buy a new pan. He will gladly sell an oil pan gasket only if desired but recommended I re-torque all the bolts on the pan before I replace the gasket. Apparently, the stock gasket is a plastic fiber gasket that is re-usable but also tends to loosen up over time ....so re-torqueing the oil pan bolts generally stops the leaks. I'll try the no-cost approach first and then buy the gasket from Chuck if that doesn't solve the minor leaking.

Jerry