Learn me about 2001 & 2002 GTS Vipers!

Endeka

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi,

I posted on the SRT-10 subforum about a month ago asking for advice concerning the purchase of a new Viper. I currently own a C5 Corvette but was looking for something new. I test drove a 2004 Viper alongside a 2008 Z06, and even though the Z06 was definitely, faster, it's hard to explain, but the Viper felt faster no matter what it was doing. I couldn't help but be attracted to the magnetism of the Viper. I was hooked, and started shopping for one.

The thing is, I really like the appearance of the Gen 2 more than any other Viper except the new Gen 5, so I wanted to see what those were like as well. I tested a newer model because people warned me that the Vipers were generally inhospitable and that the 2003+ was the only one that'd be bearable to drive in. I didn't feel that way though, I loved it, and I think I could do with an even more minimalist environment.

I'd love to know more about Gen 2 GTS ownership. Are parts very scarce for it? What are the most common problems? How is it to live with (obviously it wouldn't be my only driver, and would never be used in inclement weather).
I'm trying to find a place nearby to test-drive one too. These cars are so rare (completely unlike my c5, which I see a minimum of four of every time I go to work on a sunny day) that finding a dealership within two hours that has one with ABS is proving really difficult.

Thanks!

OP
OP
E

Endeka

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Philadelphia Metro Area.

Also, another question I have is that I have enough money to get a really mint example. Is that a good idea? I will, of course, get a PPI done on the car before I buy it, but I plan to drive this car, so is getting one that has like 4,000 miles on it a good idea, or should I look for one in the 30's or 40's to make sure it's not full of dried out seals and other gremlins?

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you plan to get a GTS and drive it at least a few thousand miles a year then buy one with at least 20K miles on it. There seems to be a premium for cars under 20k miles and then a bigger premium with under 10K. If the car hasn't been abused or in a major collision then 20K miles is nothing. A Gen2 Viper is a little intimidating to a NOOB because they bump steer and the tires get pulled by any grooves in the road plus they spin out quickly when you find the limits. Once you get acclimated to the car it is just an absolute thrill ride that feels much more like a true race car than a late model corvette.

denniskgb

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i am in south jersey area, sewell washington twp, right across the bridge. give me a call 856 405 6899 office. dennis I will NOT let you test drive the car but you can sit in it. And i can fill you in on particulars.

Dan Aseere

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I am 64 years young and have had many, many performance cars. I currently have a 94 RT/10 and 97 BW GTS and have not been this thrilled over the years. This forum tries to scare people about Vipers, pull the trigger on a GTS and you will not have any regrets. Handles beautifully, goes like hell and looks better than anything out there. Do it and you will see!!

daveg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree with the 20k miles. I personally like the 96 to 99 cars (I own a 96 GTS) because of the motor. Cant go wrong any Gen II GTS though........

OP
OP
E

Endeka

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My reasoning is that the Viper is already supposed to be pretty stout, and it's much easier to add aftermarket forged pistons then it is to add an aftermarket ABS system.

daveg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My reasoning is that the Viper is already supposed to be pretty stout, and it's much easier to add aftermarket forged pistons then it is to add an aftermarket ABS system.
I guess but I could care less about ABS... I do care about forged so I don't need to touch a thing, just need to enjoy it... This is just my opinion though... Heck my 3000 GT doesn't even have ABS and its my DD..

Last edited:

avijay

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Owned many vettes, last one being a 532 RWHP C5 Z06 all motor. I can easily tell you I drive and enjoy my 96 B/W much more than any of the vettes for so many reasons:
1. exclusivity
2. body lines
3. exhaust sound unlike most cars out there
4. even in stock form, fun as hell
5. fat ass rear tires
6. it's a Viper damn it.

Voodoo Rob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I made the decision to buy a Viper without ever driving or sitting in one. I knew I wanted one, no changing my mind. This forum is great information and will get you up to speed on the particular Viper you are interested. Good advice is to budget for new tires if the car does not have them already. The Gen 2 has huge tires, even by today's standards, and when old they are no better than a hockey puck on a frozen pond. Enjoy your search and the buying process, the end product is worth it and you will truly love the rawness /exclusiveness of Viper ownership.

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You should come to West Chester Cars and Coffee at rt 202 and Dilworthtown Rd one Sat morning. PM me the weekend you are going and I will drive my Gen II and we can talk.

I have Random Tech Cats and Corsa's and my car is a pleasure to drive. Not quite as cushy as my z06 but not no where near what people make them out to be. Air will freeze you out of the car and handles beautifully. I say go for a Gen II, you'll love it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
E

Endeka

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'll have to look into that.

Another question is about the lack of a dead pedal. Can you get an aftermarket one? I can't imagine trying to drive a car without one. What do you do with your foot?

I agree with most of the reasons you list for getting the Viper! Sweet car.

heath1225

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The Viper is and always will be my dream car. I bought one without ever seeing one up close or getting in one. It was one of the best decisions I ever made. Its a thrill to drive every time.

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Another question is about the lack of a dead pedal. Can you get an aftermarket one? I can't imagine trying to drive a car without one. What do you do with your foot?

I agree with most of the reasons you list for getting the Viper! Sweet car.

I have no issue with not having a dead pedal, OI just rest my foot in front of the clutch. I do think the aftermarket sells one but I did not feel it was required.

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Owned many vettes, last one being a 532 RWHP C5 Z06 all motor. I can easily tell you I drive and enjoy my 96 B/W much more than any of the vettes for so many reasons:
1. exclusivity
2. body lines
3. exhaust sound unlike most cars out there
4. even in stock form, fun as hell
5. fat ass rear tires
6. it's a Viper damn it.

I also think they are at the bottom of their depreciation curve. With their low production numbers (especially the one year only colors) and iconic status they may even appreciate some day. I do not plan on ever getting rid of mine so this is not really an issue for me but it is nice knowing you can get most of your money back if you ever needed to sell. Some of the exotics I looked at depreciated as much as 10k a year and I think the Viper has more road presence than most of them.

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The 2002 is an awesome car and IMO the best of the best especially for Gen 1 or 2. Beautiful lines and bullet proof. There are still quit a few for sale and some in low pristine miles. If you can find a final edition 02 all that more better. Keep in mind though only 450 HP which is fine, and the motor can take all kinds of mods. It certainly will not keep up (stock) with a ZO6, reference your 2004 later Gen drive and a ZO6, but it is much more unique and special.

OP
OP
E

Endeka

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The reason why I didn't hop on this sight-unseen as some have suggested is that I wanted a C6 Z06 since it came out (I was in college). In fact, I bought my C5 because I was in grad school and didn't want to be saddled with a car loan. I test drove a Z, finally, and was so sure about it before hand that I brought my checkbook with me.

I just wasn't blown away. It didn't sing to me the way I imagined it would. It was good to drive, but it wasn't enchanting to drive.

That's why I'm being careful about this. I want to get the right car.

CEJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I went shopping for a fun car a few years ago...and ended up with a 2001 RT/10 almost by accident. But when I compare it with other fun cars I've had ('67 GT350, SVO Mustang, '69 MK III), the Viper is by far the most enjoyable car I've ever owned. I love the way it looks, I love the way it drives (with new tires, that is...), and love how easy it is to work on. I've met so many great folks through my Viper too.

To me, a 2001 or 2002 is hard to beat. As said before, they are bullet proof and a blast to drive. Have fun shopping!

Tagoo

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You don't hear this often, but I'd recommend you think about color as one of your key decision variables. My first Viper was a red 2002 RT/10. When I bought it I hadn't really considered color that much. It was a Viper, and any Viper was awesome. Over time, I realized that I REALLY liked some of the other color combo's better than red (my buddy had a '99 silver/blue that just seemed to 'pop' much more than mine when we parked them together). I decided I really liked the 2002 Graphite/Silver and the 2000 Steel Gray/Silver. I ended up buying the latter and have never regretted it. Now, if you already know you want a red GTS, then those are available in every year and you can move on to other considerations. If not, you might want to consider color - especially if you think you will keep the car for a long time.

Almost every subsequent year of viper production resulted in improvements (wheels construction, wheel size, oil capacity cooling fans, frame strength, abs, ect.). I wouldn't necessarily consider any one of those improvements to be the determining factor as to which car you buy.

Even ABS may not be that critical. I went from a Viper with ABS to one without. Although my 2000 did lock up a front tire at an autocross once (I was really working to get to the braking threshold), after a $700 rear brake upgrade (Tom's rear brakes) I've never had a tire lock-up since - on the street, road-race courses, or autocross. I am glad I did not choose a 2001 or 2002 that was not my favorite color, or not as nice, or with higher miles, or was priced higher, just because it had ABS.

Now, the forged piston discussion. Forged pistons in the 99 and earlier provide some added protection if you want to add a supercharger, turbos, or nitrous but provide no benefit if you don't. If you think you will do that, considering a forged piston car is a good idea. If you don't think you will do that, I would not recommend giving up color, price, condition, miles, etc. just so you can get a car with forged pistons.

My bottom line recommendation is to consider the whole package color, condition, miles, price, age, maintenance records, etc. and let abs or forged pistons be just one factor instead of the limitation on the cars you will consider. Good luck with whatever you decide. The search is half of the fun.

OP
OP
E

Endeka

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All Blue ACR-So you're saying that this will cure me for good?

Blainne

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Side by side. C5 or C6 compared to the Viper is NO comparison. Sure the Z06's may but down a tenth of a second better numbers STOCK, but the are not built equally. Side by Side the Viper is HANDS DOWN made better and made focused PRIMARILY on performance over the Z06's. The WoW factor is 10X in the Viper.

My C6 Z06 was 750 HP, but every day your drive it you have to worry about the pistons flying out of the hood with the S/C and everywhere you look.. THERE IS ANOTHER Z06 driving by.

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score

We're all assuming you will love owning a Viper because we all love ours but your statement here makes me think the car may not be for you. "Can't Imagine" Really. Maybe I'm overreacting but it sounds like you've never driven a car with a high beam dimmer switch on the floor... We managed somehow...:D

OP
OP
E

Endeka

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think I might be coming at this from a different perspective. I put 25,000 miles on my Corvette the first year I had it. Because I used my car for more than just casual cruising, I know that things like not having a dead pedal could get awkward. Sure, it's no big deal on a cruise night, but when I first got my car, I was driving it four hours a day, and as you well know as Viper owners, most cars on the road are not able to throw themselves into the bends at exciting speeds, or hit 60 in less than 5 seconds, so you're not always flying when you're driving the car every day. I am also very tall, and have huge feet (size 13), so I might not be able to stick my feet under the pedals as easily than other people.

I was more just curious.

Caesar!

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Before I bought my 97 Blue & white GTS I was going to go with a Silver 2008 Z06... I went for ride in the Z06 and it was nice.fast and sounds great. Had this huge center navigation in the center and when you start the car all the gauges went to the left and then to the right. All the odometer numbers all digital..heads up display.. Then theres the sport/Touring race mode crap in the center I wasnt fond of.. Still Love the Vette

Hoped into the 97 GTS same day right after I drove the Z06 and to be honest..It felt better..scared me more and had a different raw feel. Just an incredible machine.

I wanted something different than the 70 LS5 Vette and 71 Challenger I have.

The GTS Viper is an iconic car! It has the feel...Look and power that no other car can match... Oh!!! Did I say its still the Best looking car out there!!! lol

Spring for a GTS..

Caesar!

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Before I bought my 97 Blue & white GTS I was going to go with a Silver 2008 Z06... I went for ride in the Z06 and it was nice.fast and sounds great. Had this huge center navigation in the center and when you start the car all the gauges went to the left and then to the right. All the odometer numbers all digital..heads up display.. Then theres the sport/Touring race mode crap I wasnt fond of.. Still Love the Vette

Hoped into the 97 GTS same day right after I drove the Z06 and to be honest..It felt better..scared me more and had a different raw feel. Just an incredible machine.

I wanted something different than the 70 LS5 Vette and 71 Challenger I have.

The GTS Viper is an iconic car! It has the feel...Look and power that no other car can match... Oh!!! Did I say its still the Best looking car out there!!! lol

Spring for a GTS..

Blainne

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Well the Viper isn't for everyone. Esp. the timid. Another reason what makes the Viper so much better to own.. Only a real car guy would drive a Viper.. when I hear the reasons why people bought the Vette over the Viper I just chuckle. I use the wife test. Honey do you want to drive it? NOOO! Perfect Car.:rolaugh:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sloth