Learning to drive the SC'd snake.

RECOIL

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've been puttering around for the past couple of weeks, trying to learn the particulars of this beastly car. I've had many 400HP+ cars but this is my first 700HP ride.

This morning, I decided to see flex her muscles a tiny bit. After getting everything up to temp, including the tires, I jumped on the interstate. First, I decided I'd do a small loop to make sure the scene was safe.

My first run: at about 60MPH, in third gear, around 2500RPM+, I put the hammer down. I've never gone from 60-OMG so fast (had no idea I was doing that speed so I came off the gas quickly). Needless to say, I was grinning like a teenage boy after prom.

Second run: Looped around and repeated the first run. Wow. This doesn't get old does it?

Decided not to push my luck and exited the interstate. Coming on to the main road, I decided to see what would happen with second gear around 45MPH -- back tires couldn't hold (lots of spinning). I'm going to have to learn the rate of acceleration acceptable without wheel spin/hop for second gear.

Doing all of this with one eye on the road and one eye on the A/F gauge is certainly interesting. How does everyone else with a SC do this?

Any driving techniques you guys employ when you have this much power? 95% of the time, I will be driving this car mild-manneredly. But every once in awhile, (S)uper (R)ighteous (T)ransport has to fly.

Steve

Synergy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Too bad you weren't closer, Id make you take me for a ride! Better be careful with all of that power behind the wheel. Sounds like an awesome ride to me!

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
no A/F gauge here to worry about makes it much easier...LOL

who built the car ?

just use your right foot to limit the power. put a lot f miles on it and keep testing it out in a safe way like you have been doing. thats what i did to get used to it and you will get used to it. after a while that power gets boring, i know it sounds odd but trust me it does after a few years and plenty of miles.

be safe !

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gonna assume you have a Paxton.

That driving experience is pretty cool. Down low in the revs it just feels like a very well tuned Viper. Lots of torque, but pretty steady flow of power.

As the revs rise, the Viper gets a whole different personality. Quick throttle openings will spin the tires, and it just gets stronger as the revs rise.

I usually went full throttle at low revs, then lifted as needed to control wheel spin. Stickier than stock tires are necessary to plant all the power at higher revs.

Supercharged Vipers are a hoot to drive, but you need to turn all your attention to what is happening, as it happens in a hurry.

No need to keep watching the gauge. Keep full attention on the road. Gauge usually lags a bit behind what is happening inside the engine.

Fresh, new sticky tires are a must when running with the Paxton crowd.

Ghoust

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I had the good fortune of buying my viper already supercharged so I don't know what a viper feels like without one. That being said, its one hell of a ride once you hit boost.

Real_Venom

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Steve! You should have called me up and I would have filmed it (on a closed course) or ridden alongside. Sounds like a blast to ride in as well!

SquadX

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Use ur clutch to easy into gears when dropping power at high rpms. Has saved me a couple times.
make sure u have good tires that are not old. If so then replace them.