Lesson learned at the drag strip

EA6BPilot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I went out today for a couple test and tune runs at a local drag strip, I almost lost my car (or worse, my life). An outlaw class drag car was lined up next to me and launched hard, running a little over 5 seconds in the 1/8th. I ran my typical wheel spinning launch and was headed to do a 1/4 run. The idiot who was lined up next to me (on my right side), thought that I was only running an 1/8th as well. He sees me in the rear view and thinks he has the space. He cuts in front of me the instant I cross the 1/4 finish at top speed (119 trap). I panic, lock the brakes up, and narrowly miss him. His only response was "I thought they only ran 1/8th here". I told him that he was lucky to be alive. Had I had a better launch/run, I don't think I could have avoided him. As it was, I bullseyed both front tires so badly that I had to limp home no faster than 55. A 3400lb car going over 100mph probably would have killed the driver of the other car and possibly myself.
The lesson I learned is, just because you know what you are doing, that doesn't mean the other driver does. Bad on the track for not letting everyone know it's a legitimate 1/4 track and bad on him for cutting in front of me. I guarantee I will never run in the left lane next to anyone again.
Ok.....I finished my whining....just had to get that off my chest.

OP
OP
E

EA6BPilot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bob,

I had everything I could do to keep calm and not go yelling at the guy. To say that I was shaking was an understatement. Although the brakes on the pre-ABS cars are not the greatest, they saved my butt today (at the cost of 2 tires). OH WELL.....at least nobody got hurt.

Frank

OP
OP
E

EA6BPilot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Streak,

As for paying for the tires, I thought of it. But, its one of those things where its a private strip and it would be hard to prove anything. I could try and sue him in a small claims court, but that would not be worth my time and/or lawyers fees. So, I'll buy a set of Dunlops and eat the $350. And I'll be on the lookout for idiots in the future!

Frank

ERDOC

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Similar thing happened to me a few weeks ago... I was lined up next to a built 55 chevy that probably ran 8's. He took off and his driveshaft broke half way down the track. :eek: Fortunately, I was slow enough to miss pieces of metal skipping across the track into my lane and very fortunately over the fence. My next run I line up against some kid in a POS mustang that begins dumping antifreeze during the burnouts. From that point on, I only ran against the other Vipers and drivers I knew. Lesson of the day is not to race anyone you don't know. The track I ran at has no safety inspections so anyone can bring whatever POS out onto the track... a recipe for disaster if you ask me. Glad you made it out without injury. :2tu:

OP
OP
E

EA6BPilot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ERDOC,

Was this at Fayetteville? How is the strip there? A bunch of guys are getting together to run down next Sunday to the Fayetteville strip. I might end up going if my tires get to me soon enough. The one mentioned above was at Kinston. I concur with the lack of safety inspections. I asked the track today what the rules were, and they basically didn't care much unless I was running in the 7's! Seat belts and helmets were all that was needed to run faster than 12.0! Oh well......

Frank

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Another thing to worry about is a car that lines up with slicks when you're on streets. I will never run against anyone that can beat me by more than a second. If they lose it halfway down the track I'm gonna T-bone them. What's the point?

ERDOC

Viper Owner
Reaction score
ERDOC,

Was this at Fayetteville? How is the strip there? A bunch of guys are getting together to run down next Sunday to the Fayetteville strip. I might end up going if my tires get to me soon enough. The one mentioned above was at Kinston. I concur with the lack of safety inspections. I asked the track today what the rules were, and they basically didn't care much unless I was running in the 7's! Seat belts and helmets were all that was needed to run faster than 12.0! Oh well......

Frank

Fayetteville is a reasonable track. There are no inspections and helmets aren't even required. You sign a waiver to run.... basically if you or anyone else f*cks up, the track is not liable. Bring friends and only run against them is my advice.

OP
OP
E

EA6BPilot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chuck,

Excellent point. If I had my way, I'd not race against anyone. I have nothing to prove to anyone else. I just want to learn to drive my car better and see what I am capable of. I can add your tip to my thought process next time. Thanks.

Frank

YELL03

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Glad to hear you made it out of that one.

I don't like when they line 2 cars up that are unevenly matched, things like this can happen all too easily.

The more I think about it,

I should use the Viper as my street & cruising car (where it is insured), the Stang as my 1/4 mile car (what it's made for), and the 944 for my daily driver and road course racing.

The 944 and Stang are fixed alot easier and less $$$ than the Viper if there is a mishap at the track.

Howard

Fast Freddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
try doin this %*#^ on a motorcycle like i do. when i get paired against a car on my drag bikes i always try to get in the right lane.

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That is insane on so many levels. What the heck are the strip operators thinking having a system that would allow that to happen, what the heck was that guy thinking pulling into the other lane before you turned? I mean why did they even have an early exit for eighth miles runs? I hope they kicked the guy out then put up some cones or something to block the early exit. As a lawyer I cringed when I read this story.

OP
OP
E

EA6BPilot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fast Freddy,

I plan on using the outside lane as much as possible from now on (or wait for the lanes to clear). This way, I am assured of not getting cut off. That, and I won't race someone who is running a MUCH faster class that I am (like Chuck 98/RT pointed out).

Phoenix,

The track only "warned" the guy. I went to tell them I was pi**ed off and wanted the guy to be reprimanded, and they said the "next time" he'd be kicked off the track. There was no safety equipment whatsoever. The exit was about a hundred feet from the 1/4 mile line, which leaves NO room for error. Needless to say, I am not going to go to that track again. I am sure you can attest that suing someone like that would be a waste of time for $350. Now, if I had hit him, it would be another story.....

Frank

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am sure you can attest that suing someone like that would be a waste of time for $350. Now, if I had hit him, it would be another story.....
No doubt it was a legal non-event as it was, but had that guy ended up having to steer his electric wheelchair by blowing into a little straw and have someone change his diapers for the rest of his life after $250k of initial medical bills it would be a big story of how "trial lawyers" ruined a great little place for people to take racing off the street and into the "safe" environment of a drag strip. Nobody I ever raced on the street even made a left turn in front of me afterwards.

Cudaman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The driver of the the Outlaw car probably holds a NRHA license and should know better. I would try to find out the drivers name and make a formal complaint. You could be saving the next person's life.

Cudaman :usa:

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Glad to hear you made it out of that one.

I don't like when they line 2 cars up that are unevenly matched, things like this can happen all too easily.

The more I think about it,

I should use the Viper as my street & cruising car (where it is insured), the Stang as my 1/4 mile car (what it's made for), and the 944 for my daily driver and road course racing.

The 944 and Stang are fixed alot easier and less $$$ than the Viper if there is a mishap at the track.

Howard

Dont you have that confused, shouldnt the 944 be your drag car, your viper killer, your x-cross and your Road course track car ??

Mine was, but I guess my V8 option'ed porsche was a little more powerfull then yours ;-)
http://porsche944s0.tripod.com/index.htm

And cheaper to fix? Not sure about that, those damn porsches are quite a premium to maintain even with used parts. Sure TOTALLED it sure isnt goign to bring you as much as a totalled viper, but its still expensive car to repair.

Also, I have about 250+ passes at Fayetteville, and its a GREAT track for getting GREAT times. But if you laides (ERDOC) want a perfectly controlled environment and no risk, then stay home. There is a reason your in "no mans land" when you hit the drag strip, its a dangerous place, insurance wont cover you, and idiots are abound! ERDOCs idea is a good one, I too only do my drag passes against friends, NOT because I am interested in beating them (that would happen anyways), but because its safer, and I am really only there to read my times, so what they did against me, isnt what I care about its those last 2 numbers the e/t and mph that I care about. Not even a big deal if I cut a perfect tree, or am caught sleeping at the light. Just need to know my beast is fast.

Jon

PS. I am REALLY suprised they allowed your car and the other one to go head to head. Fayettevill with NOT mix classes like that. So at least in that respect you're better off at Fayetteville.

kgrif

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Best to just not go, I had a similar experience in my vette a couple years ago when the ***** in the other lane lost it and almost t-boned me in my own lane. That was the last time for me!

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Small claims court would never give you the tire money anyway. Racers would be in court every week if they could recoup damage caused by another racer's action.

Someone's usually in front of the other aren't they? Agreed a stupid thing for him to do.

Anyone ever race that little 1000' track 20 miles or so east of Ft Hood?

:)

OP
OP
E

EA6BPilot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cudaman,

I am going to e-mail the track to lodge a formal complaint. The guy is supposedly a regular there, so MAYBE they'll do something. I think probably not, but at least I can say I tried.

Jon,

Thanks for the info on Fayetteville. If any track ever tries to do that to me again, I'll just not launch and make them reset me. I understand that no racing environement is 100% safe, but I expect at least common sense in how things are run. I'll try Fayetteville next weekend and hopefully will have a positive experience.

Frank :usa:

doctorbob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I never got into the drag strip scene. At VOI5(?) in Vegas, I watched a yellow viper put it into the wall and total the car. I think he lost it shifting between 2nd and 3rd. I passed on my run and and have not tried it since that time.(if I had a chicken graemlin I would use it)

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cudaman,

I am going to e-mail the track to lodge a formal complaint. The guy is supposedly a regular there, so MAYBE they'll do something. I think probably not, but at least I can say I tried.

Jon,

Thanks for the info on Fayetteville. If any track ever tries to do that to me again, I'll just not launch and make them reset me. I understand that no racing environement is 100% safe, but I expect at least common sense in how things are run. I'll try Fayetteville next weekend and hopefully will have a positive experience.

Frank :usa:

Hey Frank,

Yeah, you just missed out on the last viper get together at fayetteville, it couldnt have been more then 3 weeks ago. If I hadnt just been there, I would go, and help get you aquainted with the track, and the set up. Any maybe show you how you take a "creme puff" and put it into the 11.50's on OEM Pilost Sport street tires, with only a few bolt ons.

Jon

OP
OP
E

EA6BPilot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jon,

Unfortunately I was in the big sandbox 3 weeks ago, or I would have joined you guys. I am going to put in my VCA application soon, but could you do me a favor and let me know when you guys have get togethers? I haven't met any other owners in New Bern or the eastern side of the state, so I figure I'll start working my way west. Thanks!

Frank

p.s. - My bolt ons are nowhere near as extensive as yours (I have maybe 440 RWHP/475 RWTQ), so and 11.5 isn't in my near future (I'd love to break 12.0, but I'm not skilled enough yet).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Axial32