Lets Get Real , DC do something now,, No More IGNORANCE

garolittle

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Face it guys ... the SRT will dog your Gen I or II Viper on the track. You will not care much about styling when all you see are the tail lights of the new Viper. Get over it.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Okay, let's get the weight info comparison consistent. Dry weight is vehicle w/o fluids. Curb weight is with fluids. Driver/passenger or luggage is not included in either,

Ferrari 360 Spider dry-2976 curb-3197
Ferrari 360 Modena dry-2844 curb-3064
Ferrari 360 Challenge dry-2574
Ferrari 456 GT/GTA dry-3726 curb-3902
Ferrari 575 Marenello dry- curb-3815
Ferrari 355 F1 & Spider dry-2976
Ferrari F50 dry-2976

Dodge Viper GTS 1999 curb-3460
Dodge Viper ACR 1999 curb-3356
Dodge Viper GTS 1996 curb-3400
Dodge Viper 1992 RT/10 curb-3456

Viper numbers are from service manuals. Ferrari's direct from Ferrari.

2800 in a sub 100k car and 500 hp is quite a challenge. Not impossible but definitely a challenge

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Ferrari 360 Spider is 3197 lbs curb, about 200 lbs less than the current Viper and 400 more than what you are stating for the GT-40. In the US curb weight is most often used as it is difficult to drive without coolant, oil, gasoline, etc. The 360 Modena is 3064 lbs, curb. The only Ferrari 360 close to the 2800 lb curb weight that you keep quoting is the challenge car. For that you should compare it to the competition coupe, as it is definitely not with normal amenities.

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1Bad,

You have to compare apples to apples.

First of all, on the scales and New England Dragway, my car weighs 3661lbs with my 260lb self in it - that is with a solid 1/2-3/4 tank of gas. The SRT will likely be in the 3500 range with me in it, and the 3300's with me out of it.

You are assuming SO much. I'd love to see GM post a whitepaper on the C6 saying they are looking for 550hp and 2700lbs of weight - you'd be on here saying the party is over and GM has won.

I don't think Ford will get a 500hp GT-40 at 2800lbs. I don't think they can do it at 3000lbs. I think it will be 3100lbs MINIMUM, more likely 3200. I also don't think it will have 500 honest HP... probably put down 420 to the wheels or so...while making about 380lb-ft to the wheels. The SRT will likely make 460RWHP and more than that in torque.

I don't see the point of all the arguing. Why can't we just wait and see what this car does? So the SRT is a pig, it has already lost to the GT-40. Well that's nice... why don't you go buy one then and when my SRT comes we'll race wherever you like.

Oh, wait, you cant buy one. Maybe your friend Evan or Colletti can show up at E-town with one? Oh, wait, none exist yet. Maybe they can strap the motor into a Mustang and bring that? Oh, wait, they don't have a motor yet. Well, maybe they can bring a Mustang with GT-40 bodywork on it? Oh, wait, they don't have any bodywork yet.

Seems to me like all they have is a piece of paper at this point, and a bunch of promises. Until it turns into something more than vaporware, it will only be a gleam in Collettis eye. Maybe he wants to make the next McLaren F1 and is vowing to build it? Yeah, that's nice.... when you actually BUILD it then we'll all be impressed. Until then, it's nothing more than bench-racing bullchit!

Kurt 97 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mike Brunton:
1Bad,

You have to compare apples to apples.

First of all, on the scales and New England Dragway, my car weighs 3661lbs with my 260lb self in it - that is with a solid 1/2-3/4 tank of gas. The SRT will likely be in the 3500 range with me in it, and the 3300's with me out of it.

You are assuming SO much. I'd love to see GM post a whitepaper on the C6 saying they are looking for 550hp and 2700lbs of weight - you'd be on here saying the party is over and GM has won.

I don't think Ford will get a 500hp GT-40 at 2800lbs. I don't think they can do it at 3000lbs. I think it will be 3100lbs MINIMUM, more likely 3200. I also don't think it will have 500 honest HP... probably put down 420 to the wheels or so...while making about 380lb-ft to the wheels. The SRT will likely make 460RWHP and more than that in torque.

I don't see the point of all the arguing. Why can't we just wait and see what this car does? So the SRT is a pig, it has already lost to the GT-40. Well that's nice... why don't you go buy one then and when my SRT comes we'll race wherever you like.

Oh, wait, you cant buy one. Maybe your friend Evan or Colletti can show up at E-town with one? Oh, wait, none exist yet. Maybe they can strap the motor into a Mustang and bring that? Oh, wait, they don't have a motor yet. Well, maybe they can bring a Mustang with GT-40 bodywork on it? Oh, wait, they don't have any bodywork yet.

Seems to me like all they have is a piece of paper at this point, and a bunch of promises. Until it turns into something more than vaporware, it will only be a gleam in Collettis eye. Maybe he wants to make the next McLaren F1 and is vowing to build it? Yeah, that's nice.... when you actually BUILD it then we'll all be impressed. Until then, it's nothing more than bench-racing bullchit!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nicely said!!!

NascarDave

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can't believe I actually read this entire thread. 1Bad, I'll give you $25K for your overweight, slow, underpowered, first place loser viper. Then you can place a deposit for your ford and sit in your lawn chair thinking how fast you're gonna be...(make sure to bring a cooler, it's gonna be a long wait.

What is the point of this discussion? A proposed car versus a current production car with completed versions on the lot?

A mustang with a pully will beat my 96? maybe, but, I don't care...at the next light, I'm still in a Viper and you're still in a mustang. I didn't buy the Viper because it was the fastest car on earth, rather the entire ownership experience.

Which conversation would you rather have:
1) Q. What car do you drive? A. I drive a Dodge Viper.
or
2) Q. What car do you drive? A. I drive a Ford mustang which when equipped with some performance parts will beat a Dodge Viper.

nuff said,

Dave
Proud VCA Member
Go PVO!

SRTRICK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Actually, more Viper Gen III forum participants who bothered to post prefered the GT-40 to the SRT Viper, assuming they were the same price. We can assume they will not be the same price. Even with that limitation, that was not a statistically meaningful poll of a representative selection, and can only be used to indicate the impressions of those posting there, not all owners.

As **** once asked "Why are we all fighting?" (in British accent please).

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hellooo Biff, I mean Butthead, no 1Bad, get a freakin' grip man, prozac maybe. The GT40 is a PROTOTYPE.. anything can happen..the competition coupe was a prototype...two years later it came out as the SRT. And you can't disclose everything you know...puhleeze, which x file have you been reading, oops there's Mulder and Scully lets ask them. I'll tell you one real serious thing you haven't thought of. Bill Ford is a SERIOUS tree hugger of the highest order, that's an environmentalist, Biff. He will NEVER let this car out the door with a gas guzzler tax on it, and without that it will never have supercar performance.

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1 Bad,

I don't hold any NHRA records.... but I *do* hold an 11.68 timeslip in a stock '98 GTS (well, with smooth tubes). Does Evan hold one of those?

I know where you are coming from, but surely there are some things you can concede..

1) There are NO *meaning ZERO* GT-40's out there now

2) Regardless of what you have heard, IT CAN CHANGE!

3) The SRT is out there NOW

4) The GT-40 is at least 2 model years away

5) Alot can happen in 2 years.

There are MANY cars that were a "sure thing" that never made it. For each of them, there were guys - JUST LIKE COLLETTI - championing the cause and saying how GREAT and how *fast* they were going to be. And there were guys just like you saying how great the car was going to be and already snubbing their noses at the owners of lesser cars.

Nothing has change. History has repeated itself. There will be faster cars than the SRT - that much is a fact. There will be faster cars than whatever Ford produces - also a fact. The real question is - will Ford's fast car be faster than Dodge's fast car? And the answer is that we will never know until Ford MAKES THE CAR! It doesn't matter what Colletti says, it doesn't matter what Fernandez at DC says, it doesn't matter what Mr. Ford even says. Until they build it, it's all up in the air.

Why does this discussion refuse to die... I don't even know what we are arguing about? What are you looking to convince us of, 1Bad? That the Viper has already lost the race? Ok, fine, the SRT has lost and is a piece of junk. Now can we stop the argument? Please?

jamie furman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just a question but why do the ford haters think it is going to be 2 years before the GT40 comes out? From what I have read and from inquiries with dealers it is supposed to come out late spring early summer 2003.

OP
OP
K

King GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SRTRICK:
Actually, more Viper Gen III forum participants who bothered to post prefered the GT-40 to the SRT Viper, assuming they were the same price. We can assume they will not be the same price. Even with that limitation, that was not a statistically meaningful poll of a representative selection, and can only be used to indicate the impressions of those posting there, not all owners.

As **** once asked "Why are we all fighting?" (in British accent please).

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You could say that about any poll! The bottom line doesn't change. More Viper "OWNERS" would prefer the GT-40 over the SRT-10. Period. You're obviously not one of them but you are in the minority here.

OP
OP
K

King GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>
Originally posted by Mike Brunton:

"What are you trying to convince us of, 1Bad?"
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think what he's trying to say is that DC should wake up and do something about a Mack Truck that's going to smack our premier car right in the mouth! (<u>very</u> <u>shortly</u>). He obviously has inside information. You can tell by his Posts that he definitely know's things we don't! He's made his points relatively simple to understand, by using a basic piece of crap Mustang as his benchmark, but some still don't "get it". I hope DC's listening to Joe. And I think everyone on this board should be in agreement on that.

Vypr GT2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
&lt;&lt;Just a question but why do the ford haters think it is going to be 2 years before the GT40 comes out? From what I have read and from inquiries with dealers it is supposed to come out late spring early summer 2003&gt;&gt;

Right- I keep hearing that the
GT-40 is a year or less away....

Why does anyone think 2 years away??

THEMASH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is what Dodge should have built. Its the TVR speed 12, notice it also has side exhausts.
It makes 800hp (880hp with no cats/mufflers) and 650tq.
It weighs in at 2200lbs. Say with A/C, CD player power windows/locks and leather, it might end up around 2400lbs. This thing will Kill a GT40 and both the Viper SRT10/Comp Coupe.
And Yes, i know, it cost a lot more (about $200,000)

You must be registered for see images

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow, I have never seen a car that looked so much like an RT/10 that wasn't an RT/10 (the TVR above). Seriously, great numbers and all that, but it really does look like an RT/10 with a few body/headlight tweaks, IMHO. Indeed, if you were to see that graphic on the side of the truck anywhere else you would think it was a Viper for sure...

OP
OP
K

King GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by THEMASH:
This is what Dodge should have built. Its the TVR speed 12, notice it also has side exhausts.
It makes 800hp (880hp with no cats/mufflers) and 650tq.
It weighs in at 2200lbs. Say with A/C, CD player power windows/locks and leather, it might end up around 2400lbs. This thing will Kill a GT40 and both the Viper SRT10/Comp Coupe.
And Yes, i know, it cost a lot more (about $200,000)

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That car is nice! Awesome power as well.

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
boy, they TOTALLY ripped off the Viper on that design. The silver car looks so close to a GTS that I bet the friggin hood would fit! A-pillars and windshield look the same too, as does the gas cap and sills.

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
And it's not for sale in the U.S because it cannot meet emissions or safety requirements. Very easy to keep weight off and horsepower up if you do not have to meet those requirements. If it was for sale I sure would be first in line... 880HP! And they sure did copy Gen 2 style! I have also heard that quality is a very serious issue.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1Bad - You would be a little more convincing if you wrote with reasonable grammar and spelling. Typos are one thing. Incorrect spelling of the same words over and over again do nothing to support your arguments.

I also realize that Colts Neck, New Jersey is the capital of Ford Special Vehicles (and of course the whole freaking American Auto industry) and that is why you are so close to the action. Were you not the same person posting that all of Team Viper had left DC to be part of the GT-40 program until corrected that it was one (1) person (unless of course you count Chris Theodore)? Also the same person who stated that Lutz would help make sure that they would succeed, somewhat difficult from his position near the top of GM.

Regarding the production date for the GT-40 I would be completely surprised if they could produce it any quicker than 3 years from the program start date. However, I would not be surprised at all if the program was canceled along the way. Then your bench top racing would be saying "if only ..."

onerareviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1badgts,

a quote from Steve F. -

"Bad, are you not the one who said, "I have a good friend who knows Coletti, and there is no way they will build the GT40."?

1badgts,

Did you say this? I saw no response to Steve F's post. If you did, no offense, but I think your credibility may be in question, regarding inside information on the GT40. Just being logical...

No flames

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"The TVR Speed Twelve, also widely known as Project 12/7 has now been cancelled, but you never know with TVR it could be revived ! " Note this was a show car back in 1999!

Another paper car to battle the real cars of the world. Not to belittle TVR, which does produce some very quick sports cars. In general though they are less refined than a Gen I Viper and very kit car like.

OP
OP
K

King GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dr. Speed:
1Bad - You would be a little more convincing if you wrote with reasonable grammar and spelling. Typos are one thing. Incorrect spelling of the same words over and over again do nothing to support your arguments.

I also realize that Colts Neck, New Jersey is the capital of Ford Special Vehicles (and of course the whole freaking American Auto industry) and that is why you are so close to the action. Were you not the same person posting that all of Team Viper had left DC to be part of the GT-40 program until corrected that it was one (1) person (unless of course you count Chris Theodore)? Also the same person who stated that Lutz would help make sure that they would succeed, somewhat difficult from his position near the top of GM.

Regarding the production date for the GT-40 I would be completely surprised if they could produce it any quicker than 3 years from the program start date. However, I would not be surprised at all if the program was canceled along the way. Then your bench top racing would be saying "if only ..."

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Dr. Speed? Weren't you the "guy" <u>CRYING</u> on another thread? No, I'm sorry, you were the one who actually started the entire thread, right? Question? Why are you even here? You started a thread telling EVERYONE that you were leaving. Now you're back? I thought I'd read it all but when you started a thread trying to get everyone to feel sorry for you, telling EVERYONE that you were leaving......well that just took the cake! I guess you were the kid growing up that no-one wanted on their team. But unfortuantely it was your ball. So when you didn't get picked, because you sucked, "Well I'm just taking my ball & going home." Right Doc? Well welcome back Dr Speed. Let me be the 1st to tell you that we definitely need someone like you around here. Kinda evens things out a bit because Viperess & Janni don't frequent this side. Although I shouldn't even rank you with them. Although they're women (and welcome on ANY thread on this Board BTW) not even they have ever made as weak a Post as you did.

I bet you got a real kick out of trying to insult Joe. Funny how things turn out huh? Focus on me now tough guy. (yeah right)

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
King,

Why is you and your type always come back with in-your-face rhetoric and name calling. It appears to be a childish attempt to transfer attention away from the topic of the conversation. I can only assume that this transference is necessary because the aforementioned lack either the true knowledge for which they claim, or the ability to formulate a response in a compelling intellectual and logical argument.

Based on the summation of comments from 1BadGTS, I find it less than compelling that he has any more inside information than the local magazine rack. Someone with true inside information would keep their keyboard silent, in order to maintain the integrity of the inside contact, rather than spout off untruths.

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah, thats the pic
smile.gif

There was a pic I saw too of the Cobra next to the concept GTS which, at that time, had sidepipes. The resemblance was startling.

I think the issue alot of folks have is they don't mind the Viper looking like the Cobra, but they don't like the Viper looking like an S2000 either. I don't think it looks like an S2000... the only cars I see in the new Viper are the Ferrari Maranello, and the Chevy Camaro - and only a very little at that.

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As long as we are talking about similar body lines, dare I show this one? (sure to get me banned from Viper ownership)

00000027.jpg

I park next to these on occasion and am always amused by how similar they are in a general sort of way. This is a 1982-issue Corvette, in case you didn't know it. I always did like the lines on this one - I wonder why...
laugh.gif

Chris

PS. And no, I don't know the couple in the photo - just grabbed it off the Net for comparison purposes.

OP
OP
K

King GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dr Speed

I found it offensive that you personally attacked a senior member like 1bad gts the way you did. I was giving you a taste of your own medicine.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>
Originally posted by Dr Speed:

Why is you and your type always come back with in-your-face rhetoric and name calling.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm confused. I could've sworn that all the guys were having a great discussion here. Exchanging information & ideas in a mature fashion. Some of us disagree, some of us agree, but that's what it's all about. But no smack talk or insults. Then here comes Dr Speed throwing around Smack! Degrading 1bad gts and talking about his poor grammer! Then you have the nerve to talk about someone else being childish? You either want to talk Smack or you don't! But make up your mind Doc. Don't call it childish after you got your shot in & then when a real smack talker calls you out, show us all a different face! What are you a freakin teachers aid or something? I couldn't believe what I read. You clearly meant it to be an insult or put down! Why not just E-mail him or send a PM if you were <u>so</u> concerned about his grammer & if you truly weren't talking smack? Better yet, what kind of man is concerned with something like that anyway?! I mean if I want to play "teachers aid" I could easily do so with your above Post. You used a couple big words, big deal, but your sentence structure and grammer was totally incorrect! Must've been a little nervous on the keyboard - huh? Yet you have the nerve to talk about Joe's grammer? Why would you get on this forum at all and try and insult someones grammer? I won't talk anymore smack to you Doc but I wanted to let you know that your Post wasn't too bright & it wasn't appreciated here! Take a deep breath & think it through before you start typing Doc. And maybe reconsider "staying around"
seeya.gif
. And trust me, I just let you off real easy! Let's just drop it.