Lil help changing my fluids ...

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
.. in the Viper that is.

I'd like to change all my fluids as a DIY. Naturally I do my oil & filter, but I mean everything else that's recommended. I have an 03 with 18K mis so I'm looking for any help on what fluids to use & the procedures. I checked in the how-to section, but nothing there I could find. Thanks for any help.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You need to PM Dave 6666. He is our in house DIY expert. And I mean it.

viperdude118

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Stick with the Mopar Trans and rear diff fluid. I used a 3/8" clear piece of tygon tubing to refill both the trans and diff since I'm too cheap to by a fluid pump. You can feed the tubing into the fill holes a bit and then stick a funnel into the fill end and use gravity to fill both.

V

Venomiss

.. in the Viper that is.

I'd like to change all my fluids as a DIY. Naturally I do my oil & filter, but I mean everything else that's recommended. I have an 03 with 18K mis so I'm looking for any help on what fluids to use & the procedures. I checked in the how-to section, but nothing there I could find. Thanks for any help.

Illustrated section.
Join the VCA and help support this site?

OP
OP
D

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Illustrated section.
Join the VCA and help support this site?

I've been a VCA member for 9 yrs and 2 Vipers, woohoo!! :2tu:

I went to illustrated upgrades & didn't find anything, did I miss it or is there another section I should check? Thanks!

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Armed with a service manual, owners manual, and ''search savy'' for this site(agree that guessing keywords NOT always easy), most answers can be found... as well as correction of some of the mistakes printed in the above manuals!! That said, feel free to CALL someone for a few tips & tricks, as many of us are quite available, and have the time to assist our Viper Family.

29OUTLAW

Viper Owner
Reaction score
.. in the Viper that is.

It doesn't answer your question but invest in one of those CD rom based Viper service manuals that they sell on Ebay for about $50. I got one a couple years ago. Good thing it's on CD because if it had been an actual book, I'd have worn it out by now.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've been a VCA member for 9 yrs and 2 Vipers, woohoo!! :2tu:

I went to illustrated upgrades & didn't find anything, did I miss it or is there another section I should check? Thanks!

It looks like you never requested a VCA upgrade here, I verified you and you will be able to see that forum now as well as a bunch of other stuff.

OP
OP
D

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the info, all.

Thanks, Lee, but I'm pretty sure I was, I've always had access to VCA member only forums, I've never not been able to access anything here, but thanks for making sure I'm setup right.

V

Venomiss

Thanks for the info, all.

Thanks, Lee, but I'm pretty sure I was, I've always had access to VCA member only forums, I've never not been able to access anything here, but thanks for making sure I'm setup right.

You probably already saw Tony's helpful listing thread then but just in case:
http://forums.viperclub.org/illustrated-upgrades/621913-diy-quick-links.html

the other good thread was Damn Yankees:

http://forums.viperclub.org/rt-10-g...en-collection-viper-tricks-traps-lessons.html
What else specific are you looking for?

adg44

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I love that my oil change thread keeps getting referenced, even though I got a lot of crap for it from the old farts on the forum! :D

I'm going to be changing the tranny, diff, coolant, and brake/clutch fluid in the spring, and I'll take my camera with me as well.

- Anthony

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I love that my oil change thread keeps getting referenced, even though I got a lot of crap for it from the old farts on the forum! :D

I'm going to be changing the tranny, diff, coolant, and brake/clutch fluid in the spring, and I'll take my camera with me as well.

- Anthony

Become a member and we'll memoralize you in our Illustrated Upgrades/How To section. :2tu:

OP
OP
D

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score

- Anthony

These are exactly the services I want to do now. I'm going to get the service manual as suggested and start there.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
These are exactly the services I want to do now. I'm going to get the service manual as suggested and start there.

You can give Chuck Tator a call and he can give your the part #'s for the fluids you'll. I don't know if he'll ship the fluids to you (probably not) but at least you'll be armed with the correct part numbers if you purchase the fluids from your local Dodge dealer.

mach4444

Enthusiast
Reaction score
just purchased the fluid to do the change in my differential (2000rt/10).
2 quarts lube and 1 bottle of additive from dodge dealer $74.00 ouch.

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score

- Anthony

looking fwd to your other diy's :eater:

:dunno: also, looked in manual (service & owners) and couldn't find the torque spec for the drain plug, (last person who changed the oil put the hurt on it so bad that i had to use a longer ratchet to get it off :mad:) torqued to about 30-35 lbs this time, is this about right? :eater:

Last edited:

adg44

Enthusiast
Reaction score
just purchased the fluid to do the change in my differential (2000rt/10).
2 quarts lube and 1 bottle of additive from dodge dealer $74.00 ouch.

Ouch. I believe it's just Castrol Syntorque in the diff and tranny. You should be able to get that from any retailer.

How much was the posi additive?