Lingering power steering problem

Diablo Joe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok guys I really need help.As some of you know I recently changed out radiators to a Fluidyne radiator in order to keep my Viper running tip top.After the install I noticed that once the car heats up,the power steering whines.This progressively gets worse as the rpm's climb.I immediately figured it to be a p.s cooler problem so I replaced the stock cooler with a much larger one.This didnt solve the problem.I was told that it could be a ps pump failing so I replaced the pump.This didnt solve the problem.Then,I relocated the ps cooler to the front of the vehicle in order to keep it from heat soaking.This helped but alas has not solved the problem.When I drive and the temp of the car climbs to around 220 degrees the p.s. whines like a Ford.It didnt do this before and Im ready to reinstall the stock radiator to see if this helps.Before I do Id like to pitch this your way to see if you guys can help.

TIA,

Joe

OP
OP
D

Diablo Joe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Could it be the belt? Maybe when I changed radiators,I spilled antifreeze on the belt and its slipping.

Joe

OP
OP
D

Diablo Joe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ben,

After reading your write-up I figured that had to be it.I went out and took the front of the airbox off so it clears the fan,let the car heat up and went for a drive.The noise is still there.It only makes noise when the temp is 207 or higher.In other words,when the fan comes on,the noise starts.Its definitely power steering.The p.s still works fine,it just whines.Ive checked the cooler and its just warm,Ive flushed the fluid again and again.This is very frustrating.

Joe

treynor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If the noise starts when the fan comes on, and stops when the fan turns off, I bet you $100 it's the fan and not the P.S.
smile.gif
As I said, I've had similar symptoms from both my cars after installing the fluidyne, and in both cases it turned out to be the fan. It could be the fan hitting the radiator, fan hitting the shroud, airbox pressing the shroud into the fan, etc. If you really want to be sure, try pulling back slightly on the shroud with the airbox removed, so the fan can't contact anything, and see if the noise doesn't end?

OP
OP
D

Diablo Joe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It sure does sound like it could be fan related.Where can I get a dual fan set-up like yours?

Joe

treynor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I got my fan & relay kit from Ted @ Valaya Racing (408.448.8811) and I'm sure he'll whip one up for you too. Install's a snap.

Let me know how it goes! The noise was incredibly irritating, but now that it's gone I love the cooling I get from the fluidyne.

LTHL VPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If it is the fan, you may also try making some slight modifications to the airbox for better clearance. A little heat and some pressing is all you need to get the extra clearance. Best of all....it's free. This has worked great on the fluidyne's we have installed lately on our customers' Vipers. Keep in mind that the stock Viper fan (98+) is a strong unit (you can tell by the fuse, or take an amp reading when it is on), and the factory shroud ensures that air is pulled through the entire radiator.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VinhyVegas