Locked out of my Viper?

Rives1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have searched the forums, and can't find anyone with this problem.
I went to town the other night, and went in somewhere. I came out, and noticed that the interior lights built into my rearview mirror were on. I couldn't do anything to make them go out, EXCEPT start the car. So, I think maybe it was a freak thing, and by the time I get home, when I turn the car off, the lights will stay off. I get home, and turn the car off, and those lights come on. I tried looking for a fuse, or anything that might be bad, but finally ended up unplugging the wire hooking up the rearview mirror. Not the security wire, leading to the security light in front of the mirror, but the mirror itself. The lights went off, so I go to sleep.

I went to take the car out tonight, and I couldn't make the keyless entry unlock the doors. so I grab my second set, and try it, thinking it's the battery, but no success. So I reach underneath, and put the key into the keyhole, but it won't turn! it was the first time I'd ever needed to use the keyhole, instead of the unlocker button, but I know both of my keys work in the ignition, and in the trunk.

Now, I don't know if the problem started with something with the rearview mirror, or if it is something completely different.

What should I do, and does anyone have any ideas about what might be happening to me?

I am the 3rd owner, but I've gotten both keys, and I've had the car for 4 or 5 months with NO problems whatsoever. It's a Gen 3 convertible, and I had put the top up with the windows up, so there is no way for me to get inside.

BlkViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Rives1, You need to turn harder. I have had to use my keyhole in the door once and I felt like I was going to break the key because it took quite a bit of pressure to turn. Just give it some good torque on the key with your hand and it will pop open.....

PaViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK, world's DUMBEST question. Where is the keyhole on our (Gen 3) doors? I've never used it.

Look under the drivers side mirror on the flat surface that is parallel to the ground, and yes, you should have someone put pressure on the door while you turn it

seabass

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i had the same problem this spring when my battery had died after taking the tender off for 2 weeks (switching between 2 bikes/1 car)... learnt my lesson tenders are cheap, batteries ain't... didn't wanna break the key off and thought that maybe a dead battery disabled the keyed entry. for some reason my trunk was unlocked or opened and i thought about sending my son crawling thru but had it jumped instead... next time i'll break the key off or open the door that way!

OP
OP
R

Rives1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks everyone!
I went out, and tried, that certainly does the trick.

I pushed in on the door just a little, and turned the key extremely hard, and it opened. When I had tried before, I was so scared that I would break the key off in the lock last night, I chickened out on turning it hard. (It kept running through my mind: you're gonna break a $500 part or something ;) )

So, turns out, it was a dead battery. Now, I'm wondering if there is still some kind of electrical drain, going to those rearview mirror lights. Does that seem possible? I had the rearview wire unplugged, and it was only a few days sitting there.

Oh, one final thing, Steve-Indy, I had tried searching for lock, locked, and I think key, but I sure didn't see that thread, so thanks for all the help and the link.

Thanks again BlkViper, SuperBird4404BBL, and PaViper.
To bluesrt, maybe next time... :rolleyes:

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Hi, Rives1...glad you got the door lock/ alarm reset to work. That keyhole needs regular lubrication and exercise...at least every 6 months in my experience. As you probably know, WD-40 is often used to get a lock working, but is not a good lock lube for the long haul.

You might want to consult service manual for info concerning ignition off draw test.

PAvenomRT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had the same problem with my RT/10. I turned the rearview mirror light on while driving and forgot to turn it off after parking the car. Since i keep the car covered in the garage, i didn't notice the light on at night. After a couple of days, went to start the car and the battery was completely dead and would not take a charge. I invested in a Sears battery with a 3 yr unlimited warranty.
PAVenomRT/10

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang