Locking gas cap

JohnnyViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did search and after 10 pages gave up. I purchased a locking gas cap from advanced auto a few hours ago and once installed I have a clearance issue and my door will not close. Its a 97 GTS with a stock gas door. Has anyone purchased a locking gas cap that fits and if so where did you get it. Thanks!!!

OP
OP
J

JohnnyViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i was thinking the same thing, ghetto=locking gas cap (the viper lives and sleeps 99.5% of the time in a well to do town to by delight) but I do live in the city where "The Fighter" was based and filmed....i went to the car wash earlier today and had a few young punk ricers saying "want to be beat by a 4 thousand dollar civic" and a jerky cocky way.....i said "no I want to be beat by a 1 thousand dollar civic" not the best comeback but at least it was something and I walked towards them a bit as i was saying it and they piped down....but to your point I should sell and move....lol

OP
OP
J

JohnnyViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i got mine from advanced auto but based on the picture it looks very similar, I will head down tomorrow to autozone and give theirs a try, i noticed on the inside of the aluminum door dead center is some sort of nut that is hitting were the lock is on the locking cap, my stock cap has a recessed area in the middle of the gas cap handle to accommodate this nut....thanks for the autozones part number!!!

johniew398

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I sent you a PM with a link to where I got mine. It's a little more than Autozone but is a factory cap that fits fine on my 2008 ACR (made for 2003 - 2010 models).

cfiiman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
i was thinking the same thing, ghetto=locking gas cap (the viper lives and sleeps 99.5% of the time in a well to do town to by delight) but I do live in the city where "The Fighter" was based and filmed....i went to the car wash earlier today and had a few young punk ricers saying "want to be beat by a 4 thousand dollar civic" and a jerky cocky way.....i said "no I want to be beat by a 1 thousand dollar civic" not the best comeback but at least it was something and I walked towards them a bit as i was saying it and they piped down....but to your point I should sell and move....lol

I love these remarks from punks like this do they realize that even if they win they lose...

97snk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Let me know what works for you. I need one as well that fits stock gas door thingy...

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
get the mopar loc cap- any thing else usually doesnt fit right and may throw a cell code

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
We have used the above mentioned "CST 5791" locking gas cap on 5 of our Vipers (Gen I's and Gen II's ONLY) for at least 10 years with NO problems.