Long range CB antenna installation

Schulmann

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I want install a top quality long range CB antenna on my Viper.

What are my best options ?

I was planning to drill a whole into the liftgate. Any other option ?

The through glass antenna goes not have enough range.

Big Al

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have a threw the glass antenna and it works okay. Not as good as a K40 but I did not want to drill into my car. I have a Cobra hand held radio unit with the junction box hiden under the passenger seat. In Ontario it is against the law for the driver to talk on a hand held device, so I let my wife do the talking, after all she is good enough to let me drive all the time.

SkyBob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was planning to drill a whole into the liftgate. Any other option ?

A whole hole or half a hole?

Antennas need a ground plane to work, especially if you are wanting "long range", and since Vipers don't have metal body panels this will get complicated.

Bob

TrackAire

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've had a through the glass antenna and a Wilson 5000 (very highly regarded antenna by CB'ers) mounted on a work pickup so we could communicate with our big rig delivery drivers on jobsites and or approaching jobsites.

I had an A/B switch set up so I could remove the Wilson when the big bosses were in town (they were weird when it came to accessories on sales trucks) and used the little Walmart $15.00 through the glass antenna if I needed it since you could barely see it attached to the rear window.

In multiple tests with known ranges, I honestly could not tell a difference when I'd experiment by going A or B on the selector. CB's are so low powered, that if you get anything over 4 miles or so in real urban settings, you'd be lucky. I'd have no problem using a through the glass antenna on my Viper.

I know that the wavelength and ground plane equations are supposed to matter, but on a 4 watt CB for communicating in a 3 mile radius, it just doesn't seem to matter in the real world. If you were to pump up your CB with an amplifier, than I would consider using a heavier duty antenna with the amperage capability of a Wilson a must. The best CB antenna from a physics point is an 8 foot whip, mounted in the center of your steel roof structure.

OK, here is an offer for Viper owners coming to the VOI....first Viper owner that shows up with an 8' stainless steel whip bolted to the top of his roof gets dinner at the best steakhouse of his choosing in Salt Lake on me!!!! It would be worth it to see that!!! :rolaugh:

Good luck with your choice,
George

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tombala