Looking for race seat advice

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Been looking at race seats, both here and at some local shops.

To start with, I don't race, but if I can save some weight on the car, it sounds like something to do some Saturday when it's 115 degrees here in Texas.

What I'm seeing is this... All of the race seats have really high sides, and with my long legs - I'm 6ft 4in - that just seems like it would be a PITA getting in and out of the car, and not worth it.

Soooooo, does anyone know of a good quality light weight seat that fits a GTS that has more moderate side height?

TexasPettey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've got an Ultrashield. I'll have it in the car at the Roundup, and you're welcome to try it out. If the seat tracks have the same mount points between the RT & GTS, we can even put it in your car. I would suggest against a race seat if you aren't running on the track. They are uncomfortable compared to stock seats and don't look nearly as good.

Boxer12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Race seats **** all around for street driving. They are way expensive and labor intensive to install...most won't just 'fit' in a GTS. I recommend another Sat project. Roller rockers?

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In my opinion, my Kirkey road race seat is the most comfortable seat I've been in. And it has only 0.5" padding - it's because it fits me. They come in various widths, so you have to try them before you buy.

Yes, it's harder to get in and out. The thigh bolsters and shoulder wings are in the way.
In my RT, it is close to the door on the left and the tunnel on the right. A wider seat that an aluminum shell should be trial fitted.
It may need different support than the seat tracks. Kirkey talks about a brace behind the seat back.

But, I needed to lower my helmeted head under the sport bar to pass tech inspections. I now make that easily. I am much lower - I can see my ugly face in the reflection of the center-located message center.
They are much lighter - by 18 lbs I think.
If you do "driving schools" you may have to have the same equipment on both sides, forcing you to buy and install two.

After time I learned to face away from the car, semi-kneel, and fall in. To get out I use a rotating movement, pivoting on my left hand leaning on the door sill. Again, in my opinion, finding all the ends and buckling the five point is more "hassle" than the seats themselves. The seatbelt ends fall in the small spaces between the seat and tunnel, or between seat and side sill.

Find someone with good seats and try it. Then you can decide what you like and what you'll put up with.

OP
OP
D

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for all the advise so far.

And I might like was said, set this thought aside for good.

The car is simple to enter and exit with the OE seats, and my only reasoning to change them would be weight.

So until they start making girly race seats, I'll just keep on the soy burgers and salads.

TSR6

Enthusiast
Reaction score
(My knowledge & post here comes from non-viper applications - take it for what it's worth.)

For comfort, You'll be better off buying a custom-tailored seat than an off the shelf model. Even then, it still won't be close to your OEM seats - because remember, it's a racing seat. Racing seats are first built to be safe and contain the body, secondly they're built for performance so you can "feel" the car, and lastly comfort..

If you need the sides lowered, I would venture to guess you could probably talk to Butler Seats or ISP Seats and see what they can do with a custom built seat. I do know that some of the dirt sprint car style seats have a lower left side on the seat...

I have an off the shelf Butler Built seat in my race car ( with ISP head & shoulder containment ) - then I have an ISP Seat that was custom tailored to a compromise between my brother and I for the car we're going to share ( we're essentially the same size, he's just 10lbs heavier ) - and I can tell you right now, the custom built seat is worlds above the off the shelf seat. If money wasn't an object right now, I would have ordered a Butler Advantage fully custom seat for my car..

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Got my seat in the living room. I'm taking the covers off and carving a slope to the rear into the bottom - so my skinny ass doesn't slide forward when I sit in the seat. Also planning to get "Supercharged" sewn into the seat back before re-installation. Looking at the seat track it should be an easy welding job to lower the seat.

The GTS seats seem to be quite lightweight as stockers since they weigh only 29# including brackets.

I bought a Daytona that had Jazz racing buckets installed. Double plastic shell weighing about 9#. They also had 30# seat brackets on them. Stock seats were lighter and a thousand times more oomfortable.

Ted

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Seat brackets are lightweight and they raise the seat. Just cut and reweld the brackets to lower the seat an inch. The floor is flat except the rib that the seat bolts to, so no interference problems. Another 1/2" could be cut from the seat to seat bracket supports if wanted.

Ted

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Dave, I had Archer in Ft. Worth install Sparco race seats in my GTS years ago and he did a great job. Hennessey has installed a lot of Sparcos too. I used the evo 2 series as they are wider and also had them installed in a fixed to the floor position all the way back as I am tall too. The only catch is the upper ear on the side near the doors have to be shaved off some to allow the door to close. The cover just slips off to do this. They come in several colors too. They work great for the track but if you drive it as a daily driver it could be cumbersome. I dont think they are too expensive and they save weight! Be real careful when removeing the oem seats as it is easy to scratch the interior, especially the side of the center console.

Last edited:

triblk6spd

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I had lots of questions when swapping seats in my Vette. Call Cody at American Racing Tech. He should have the answers you need.

512 312 2258

CO GTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I put a pair of Momo RS2's in my GTS. I used these seats as they are a good compromise between a stock seat and a racing seat. The main difference is that the seat bottom has reduced sized bolsters which makes getting in and out quite easy; I have the same problem as you at 6’5”. The seat back has full bolsters and holds me in tight after I crank down my Sabelt 5 point harness.

I made custom brackets that allowed me to mount the seat all the way back and as low as possible. The seats are available in a variety of colors and the rake is adjustable.

You must be registered for see images

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tombala