Loose Door Panel

96GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 1996 GTS and the door panel keeps catching on the weather stripping, and occasionally it prevents the door from opening. The panel has pulled away from the channel next to the window, and is separated from the back of the door. I've super glued it, used hot glue, black 3M adhesive and bubble gum and popsicle sticks,b but nothing works. Any ideas?

roller

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have the same problem. The Christmas tree fastener at the rear of the panel is failing to keep the panel tight to the door. I think a screw is needed in this area. I have been contemplating drilling through the panel and using a screw to pull the panel in.

Frank

DrTaco

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Have you guys tried adjusting your doors? I had the same problem, replaced and Christmas tree fasteners and had it happen again. I adjusted the door and it solved my problems.

roller

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have adjusted the door because it was sagging slightly and you could feel it drop a little when opening. The Christmas tree fastener just does not hold well enough.

Frank

VYPR BYT 94

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A buddy of mine told me about a product called Geocel. I was gonna use it to hold the weather stripping on my Lemke top. He says it comes in various colors and it holds well. It also stays flexible after its cured. Bonds many materials. Obviously you'd want black.
I haven't bought it yet so I can't say from experience how it works but I never regret taking his advice.

Mike

VYPR BYT 94

Enthusiast
Reaction score
One more thing...
After studying this thread I've determined this only happens to blue/white vipers. :D

OP
OP

96GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've adjusted the door a few times, but it's hard to get it to where it doesn't rub and have the top of the door to follow the body line without sticking up. Where the window goes into the door it curves, and my door panel has pulled away and is no longer in the channel where the top of the panel rests in. I bought some panels from Ron at R&D a while back, but they were total garbage and in worse condition than mine (they were supposedly off a 3,300 mile car) and I'd rather not have to go that route again. The area around the bottom of the door where the fastener goes is fine, it's just the top corner. I may have to get some Chuck Norris approved two-part expoxy and try it. Thanks for the responses.