Loose harmonic crank damper bolt

grayman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Searched the forums with no real luck. Was changing the oil and crank pulley bolt was just hand tight. Looked to check this because each of my 3 previous Vipers had this problem (1 damaged the crank itself necessitating complete engine rebuild). On a different occassion, I bought an 05 several months ago and the pulley came loose and threw the belt 10 miles outside dealership. Took the car back and bought a used 04 instead.

Anyways, apparently there are 2 different bolt sizes and torque settings. My bolt is a 13/16" and need to know proper torque setting?

Any help appreciated?

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Actually, the search key reveals a lot:

From this thread in which Dan lays out the problem: " Re: My Crankshaft Damper Bolt was falling out. "

http://vca2.viperclub.org/forums/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board=UBB21&Number=601681&page=&view=&sb=5&o=&vc=1

The Text in part that I posted says: "Earlier in this thread I posted:

" You decide..."the year MAY matter"...

03 Manual says "250 ft-lbs"

04 Manual says "130 ft-lbs"

05 Manual says "130 ft-lbs"
---------------------------------------

Now (thanks to Tim in Parts at Indy's Champion Dodge) here more info taken straight from the Dodge computer (with a little extra effort).

Crankshaft Damper Bolts:

2003 part number 6036207AA size 0.75x16x2.250 (inches)

2004 part number 6506340AA size M14x1.5x102.0 (metric)

2005 part number 6506340AA size M14x1.5x102.0 (metric)

2005 part number 6036207AA size 0.75x16x2.250 (inches)

2006 part number 6036207AA size 0.75x16x2.250 (inches)

LOOKS TO ME AS THOUGH THERE WAS A RUNNING CHANGE SOMETIME IN THE 2005 MODEL YEAR.

By the way, I have ordered one of each just to compare.

Hope this helps !!!"
-----------------------------------
So I ordered BOTH varients of the bolts and posted: "Both sizes of bolts arrived this AM...the BIG difference in the two jumps right out at you when holding them side-by-side in one's own hand!!"

and, later in that thread I posted:

" JUST completed the "bolt inspection" of a beautiful 2006 Coupe (blue/white)...#30 of 200...at Indy's Palmer Dodge North...Viper Tech Phil Honeycutt did the formal inspection and AFFIRMS that for 2006 the crank damper bolt has the 1.25 inch( 1 1/4" ) hex head ("big bolt"), with a small blue dot on center of this bolt which, otherwise looks like the same bolt as found on the 2003 Vipers....THANKS, Phil & Palmer !!!

While Kurt and I were at it, we visited the nice folks at Indy's Champion Dodge...and looked at the bolts on a red 2005 SRT-10 and on a 2005 Copperhead SRT-10....in BOTH cases, the crank damper bolts were the same as on the 2006 Viper...with the same blue dot....THANKS, Champion !!!

So, the REAL QUESTION is...when did the running change occur ???(most likely in 05 by MY guess).

Bottom line:
Owners of 2004's and early 2005's SHOULD have this checked out (in MY opinion) at one's dealership to be safe and sure."

Hope this helps !!

Schulmann

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You are really lucky.
When you loose the dumper, it harvests everything around ...
I don't get why Dodge can't fix this.

DEVILDOG

VCA Member North TX
Reaction score
You are really lucky.
When you loose the dumper, it harvests everything around ...
I don't get why Dodge can't fix this.

They don't need to because the SRTs are much better engineered and built than the previous Gens. As a result of this fact, I believe it is an owner abuse issue. :D

WANTED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
grayson, call bill p at woodhouse. he stated they went over that issue before
he sent the car to me, i would check with them first. from what i'm reading the
bolt should be changed if in fact that is the problem. call me if i can help,
you have my number.

tom

OP
OP
G

grayman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Seemed to just be loose. I loctited and retorqed no problem. Everything seemed in order. I park on a lift all the time so I can check regularly very easily. I was going over everything this winter and came across it when changing the oil.

Tom, you must see the car now. Had Heffner do the same catless exhaust as last SRT and add 3:55s. Got a set of HRE 545s and the Vmania hardtop w/ scoop. Looks sweet. We need to get them together when the weather breaks.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Guys, you might consider starting a valid paper trail on this issue through a Dodge dealer...just in case the seemingly straightforward "tighten it if it's loose" approach happens to be followed at a later date by a more catastrophic event...at which time you can point out to Dodge that THEY did the fix, and thereby avoid the notion that YOU ingored the problem (which they may attempt to allege by pointing out that it was handled with a do-it-yourself approach, thereby absolving them of responsibility).

I would think that allowing Dodge the "opportunity" to continue to participate in the warranty would be a particular value to those owners NOT particularly mechinically inclined...or capable of taking on a rebuild either mechanically or financially.

Just a thought, NOT a critism.

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Steve-Indy,

Thanks for the great write up and information. You are totally correct in that when you take your viper, or any other car, in for waranty you should always get a computer printed out copy of the work order that shows the date,milage, complaint, and the solution to the problem. This way you are protected in the future.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kodiakleather