Lost 56.8 lbs with Sidewinders and PS2's!

Wicked

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I haven't had a chance to weight my stock 5 spokes and run flats, but after doing a couple searches it looks like they will come right in at 72lbs rear and 60 for the fronts. (will verify tomorrow)

So I got a set of Sidewinder Rims and PS2's from JonB at Partsrack. Had them mounted and everything today figured I'd get some weights to share with everybody. Thanks Jon for getting these rims/tires to me so quickly!

Fronts came in at 44.8lbs each. Saving me about 30.4lbs up front
Rears came in at 58.8lbs each. Saving me about 26.4lbs in back

Total savings 56.8 lbs. That is just insane. I'm dying to know how much different the car is going to handle at the drag strip. I know 60's will be much better(just because of the tires), but I'm really curious to know the impact on MPH. 60lbs of rotating weight is a lot! If I see a big difference in my mph from the loss of weight, I'm going to pick up a set of Break Rotors and a light weight fly wheel. Should drop another 50lbs there.

Anybody have an idea of what to expect?

Thanks!
Jason

rcl4668

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I haven't had a chance to weight my stock 5 spokes and run flats, but after doing a couple searches it looks like they will come right in at 72lbs rear and 60 for the fronts. (will verify tomorrow)

So I got a set of Sidewinder Rims and PS2's from JonB at Partsrack. Had them mounted and everything today figured I'd get some weights to share with everybody. Thanks Jon for getting these rims/tires to me so quickly!

Fronts came in at 44.8lbs each. Saving me about 30.4lbs up front
Rears came in at 58.8lbs each. Saving me about 26.4lbs in back

Total savings 56.8 lbs. That is just insane. I'm dying to know how much different the car is going to handle at the drag strip. I know 60's will be much better(just because of the tires), but I'm really curious to know the impact on MPH. 60lbs of rotating weight is a lot! If I see a big difference in my mph from the loss of weight, I'm going to pick up a set of Break Rotors and a light weight fly wheel. Should drop another 50lbs there.

Anybody have an idea of what to expect?

Thanks!
Jason

Thanks for posting this information.

/Rich

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
THANKS to both WICKED and RCL for your orders.

"handle at the drag strip".......... I hate to suggest oxymoron alert!

HANDLING on a ROAD COURSE would be amazing, due to the net-effect of a total suspension upgrade by this weight loss. Your Steering mechanisms (all 4) and dampers and springs and all suspension components just took off their COMBAT BOOTS and now race on NIKE AIRs. Your BRAKES now have more stopping power, due to the lowered centrifugal mass. The OUTER RING OF MASS of the tires was an important deletion, too. {Saving 5 lbs farther out from the rotating axis is much better than saving 5 pounds close-in to that axis.}

Saving Weight: We just received our first production set of Carbon Fibre wheels {19+20] Wed, and debuted them at PIR-Portland. There was a CONSTANT stream of racers and crew chiefs drifting by to examine the wheels. {Photos are posted in Supplier Specials section - a few months back]

I hope to post some new photos this week. These wheels weigh approx 15 lbs F and 18 lbs R.

Now THAT is INSANE !!!! {19-20....18 even lighter}

Pricing inline with retail HREs: $7995/set in 18, 19, or even 20" !

Last edited:

rcl4668

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jon --

Thanks for the info re carbon fiber wheels. Will they be available in the stock Viper sizes (18 x 10 front, 19 x 13 rear)? Thanks.

/Rich

D

DAMN YANKEE

Heck, I was able to loose 105 lbs by adding this....now my wife wont ride in the car..

You must be registered for see images

OP
OP
W

Wicked

Enthusiast
Reaction score
YellowViper. I would have already ordered my rotors if I knew for certain what I could expect to gain in the 1/4 mile with the loss of weight. I'm not really into the road racing thing, so stock breaks are good for what I need. However if I go to the track Friday and feel that the weight has made a big difference, then I'll be giving you a call Monday to get some break rotors! :)

I would love to find a test that someone has done showing 1/4 mile differences with the reduction of weight on the rims/tires. Searched for two hours and couldn't find anything. I guess Hotrod magazine did something comparing 40lbs of wheels weight reduction vs. 40 lbs in the cabin of the car and they showed no difference. Couldn't find it though. :(

Jason

YellowViperSRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
YellowViper. I would have already ordered my rotors if I knew for certain what I could expect to gain in the 1/4 mile with the loss of weight. I'm not really into the road racing thing, so stock breaks are good for what I need. However if I go to the track Friday and feel that the weight has made a big difference, then I'll be giving you a call Monday to get some break rotors! :)

I would love to find a test that someone has done showing 1/4 mile differences with the reduction of weight on the rims/tires. Searched for two hours and couldn't find anything. I guess Hotrod magazine did something comparing 40lbs of wheels weight reduction vs. 40 lbs in the cabin of the car and they showed no difference. Couldn't find it though. :(

Jason
If you do go to the track, let us know what you run, I too would be curious to see the difference on the track.:drive:

Bugeater

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The eurotek rotor/hats look like Stoptech 2-piece aerorotors. Care to compare?
The rotor vane-design looks identical...

YellowViperSRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The eurotek rotor/hats look like Stoptech 2-piece aerorotors. Care to compare?
The rotor vane-design looks identical...
Looks nothing like stoptech hat. The stoptech hat is a solid black and is not scalped. You cannot even see the vane design from the pics well enough to even see a difference. Even if you can, Stoptech, Brembo etc... all look the same unless you start looking at them for hours and measuring.

Our old rotors used stoptech rotors and our hats, now we do not use anything stoptech anymore, let alone sell stoptech parts.

I am guessing you are not familiar with stoptech rotors, so here is a picture of the our old rotors with stoptech rotors and our hats and here is our new rotors. Stoptech is usually not confused with any other brands because they have a very distinctive look. Top picture is our old stoptech, you can see the scalping of the hat is so different from our new rotors which are very square. Also, the inner circle of our rotors are very square around the edges unlike stoptech. Thats only a few of the differences there are a lot more.

Last edited:

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Jon --

Thanks for the info re carbon fiber wheels. Will they be available in the stock Viper sizes (18 x 10 front, 19 x 13 rear)? Thanks.

/Rich

Yes. We are accepting orders (4-week build) in all Viper sizes. We will have a set at PIR today Sun 5/6 if U can stup by......just walk across infield bride and stop by Pace Car pits...look for my SRT-C Blu and Doris' Yellow RT