Low Fuel - can it cause problems?

ZX1100

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Had the car out a few nights ago and was having so much fun I forgot to monitor my fuel. When I finally looked it was basically below the last line and I was actually afraid of running out of gas I made it to a gas station and filled it up about half a tank and drove home about 2 miles. Took it out again last night and drove it another 2 miles to grab something to eat. When I get out to head home the car won't idle unless I throttle it. I was able to drive it home but whenever I accelerate it seems like it's not getting the fuel and boggs. I can drive it at a constant speed but I need to take it up there gradually. The car just doesn't sound like it's running on all 10 cylinders.

Could I have caused anything by letting my fuel run so low? Can there be some air trapped in the lines?

Thanks for any help.

pullshard

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not sure why your car is doing this, but the first thing my tuner told me was not to let the car's tank get under 1\4. He stated that the design of the pump and tank is crap. You may **** in some crap from the bottom of the tank.

NY VIPER

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Sounds like sediment could have gotten into your fuel line blocking your injectors. Try having the injecotrs blown out (simple job) and also try throwing some injector cleaner into the fuel tank next fill up. STP makes a good one.

OP
OP
Z

ZX1100

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds like sediment could have gotten into your fuel line blocking your injectors. Try having the injecotrs blown out (simple job) and also try throwing some injector cleaner into the fuel tank next fill up. STP makes a good one.

Do I need to bring it into a shop to have the injectors blown out? I'll try the injector cleaner also.

The battery is about 2 years old but I'll have it checked.

Thanks!

Matt M PA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I find it hard to believe that a car as new as ours, that sediment would be the problem. I have removed tanks from 30 year old cars that had very little sediment.

I'd suggest a battery check, too.

I would also offer that lots of the Mustang Cobra (poor man's sportscar) guys try to keep above a 1/4 tank as well. In these cars, there are two fuel pumps, and they are cooled by the fuel in the tank. I suppose it is possible that you couldhave overheated your fuel pump.

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't see why tank sediment would get into the fuel line because the tank was low.

It draws fuel from the bottom all the time, low fuel or not.

I believe that the pump is cooled by the fuel in the tank. Perhaps there could be some pump damage because the pump overheated due to low fuel.

Of course, I'm not a sedimental guy. ;-)

Finally got it !

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I know not in the same league but I have Plymouth breeze that I use as a daily commuter. I have a 170 mile round trip each day and regularly the car sees the bottom of the tank. At 197,000 miles now I have ran out of gas 2x. Recently I did a major overhaul and the fuel tank, injectors and fuel lines were all fine. I think the sludge at the bottom of the tank is a old problem or myth as todays gases combined with advanced filterage have done away with most gas problems.. Did I just make sense or am I rambling ??? :)

OP
OP
Z

ZX1100

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The car was running fine though after I put fuel in. It's over 1/2 a tank now so I don't think the pump would have overheated at this point. If the pump went bad wouldn't I not be able to start the car at all since no fuel will be getting delivered?