low idle after tune up

subyguy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
hey guys,

I tried searching on this but all i could find was teh stalling issue on idle which i dont have. so heres teh story. I have a 97 rt bone stock and about a week ago one of teh spark plugs came off. Luckily the threads were fine, it was probably loose from teh previosu owner. So i changed the plugs and wires but now it feels like the car idles low and shakes alot more. Plus i lost that lumpy cam sound on idle.

alot of people say IAC, clean TB's, etc. I have a feeling its a vacuum leak because when i cold start it and rev i hear a sort of turbo cold air whistle sound. Where are all teh vacuum lines located and are they easy to get to. What other things should i be looking for.

here is a pic of my idle rpms

You must be registered for see images attach

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That seems low for stock. If it jumps around you might try some brakeclean on the IAC. If it stays right there, then you may be right on the vacuum leak.

OP
OP
S

subyguy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
stays there the whole time. Im going to clean the IAC as well just as a preventative measure

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Have you re-checked wires for good connections AND to be sure that you have them in correct location/order??

OP
OP
S

subyguy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Have you re-checked wires for good connections AND to be sure that you have them in correct location/order??

I checked 4 times to make sure, everything is plugged in teh correct order and plugged in nicely. i hope i just disconnected a vacuum line by accident

alwayscode390

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Arent they supposed to idle around 740rpm?

Mine makes the turbo whistle sound too , but when I am accellerating aggressively on the road ---

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That mark is 750, the oem idle is 670. You may want to put a scan tool on it to check the rpm. The only way for the idle to exceed 750 is a vacuum leak or defective iac or pcm

OP
OP
S

subyguy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No PCM reset. I'm going to get it plugged to a scan tool to see what's up

Darth Menace

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i am not trying to rob this thread, but i am having the exact same problem. I've been idling at about 4000rpm this season. I just did a spark plug change and it shakes a bit more than normal. I am sure i got the wires in the right spot...considering the wires are only long enough to stretch to where they belong. I dunno how to tell if the connection is good though

I will clean the IAC.....but where is it?

OP
OP
S

subyguy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It is located on the passenger side intake right before the throttle body. Let me know what happens

uvbnbit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i am not trying to rob this thread, but i am having the exact same problem. I've been idling at about 4000rpm this season. I just did a spark plug change and it shakes a bit more than normal. I am sure i got the wires in the right spot...considering the wires are only long enough to stretch to where they belong. I dunno how to tell if the connection is good though

I will clean the IAC.....but where is it?

assuming you mean 400. when you guy install new plugs, are you using torque wrench? good practice on plugs to check not to over-tighten as well as not tighten enough. I was suprised how much more I needed to tighten mine when using (in. lb) torque wrench.

Darth Menace

Enthusiast
Reaction score
assuming you mean 400. when you guy install new plugs, are you using torque wrench? good practice on plugs to check not to over-tighten as well as not tighten enough. I was suprised how much more I needed to tighten mine when using (in. lb) torque wrench.
oops, yes i meant 400, haha. Mine has been idling like this all year (it's my first summer with it so i thought it might be normal). Once (if) i find the IAC, how do i go about cleaning it?

OP
OP
S

subyguy

Enthusiast
Reaction score

i hand tightened them like most other vehicles, how much do they need to be at?
i still havent found the problem, i ordered some smooth tubes and airfilters as the originals were pretty dirty and 15 years old

OP
OP
S

subyguy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My AC hasent worked since i got the car, i dont know if its emoty or the compressor. Nothing happens when i turn it on. Do you think that could be an issue?. It enever did that before, only since i changed teh plugs/wires. sounds like the leak is coming from the intake airbox??? is there anything i should look for there. All teh vacuum lines seem fine

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My AC hasent worked since i got the car, i dont know if its emoty or the compressor. Nothing happens when i turn it on. Do you think that could be an issue?. It enever did that before, only since i changed teh plugs/wires. sounds like the leak is coming from the intake airbox??? is there anything i should look for there. All teh vacuum lines seem fine

Your AC hasn't worked since you got the car meaning it didn't blow cold air OR..... Nothing happens when you turn it on since the plugs/wires changed...or both? Confused. :dunno:

OP
OP
S

subyguy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
my AC has never worked since i had teh car. no cold air no compressor coming on.

I meant this idle problem only surfaced after changing the wires/plugs.

Viper98912

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My 97 sits just as in the picture at idle. I also thought that was 400 but now that I look at the tick marks again in the pic I learned something new

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang