LOW OIL

john2456

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Have a 2003 Gen3. Has 20,000 miles,light duty,no racing,strictly summer cruiser. After 20 minute drive decided to check oil and found down a quart. I was pretty surprised tho realize pan holds 11 qts. Oil pressure driving is 75-80 PSI at idle is 40 PSI. No leaks and motor runs like a dream. No smokey exhaust,but woudn't see smoke with cats unless a real issue. Anyone with this issue ?? Wonder if loosing a little around valve guide seals or rings ?? John

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
My question would be: what was the oil level before the drive with the motor cold (since the cold reading should be the time when more oil is in the pan) ??

OP
OP
J

john2456

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Steve, I agree with your point. I did not check oil when the motor was cold before trip. Then I checked oil when motor still pretty warm and probably some oil had not fully drained back to the pan. It looks like I am at the most only down 1/2 QT as motor cools. As it turns out, I am now not worried. Thanks for your advice ! John

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Hi, John. Sounds like things are acceptable...especially since you'll be watching carefully. In our own Vipers, the full cold-full hot swing on oil level readings can easily be 1/2 qt. I would also add that the dipstick on our 03 is the hardest with which to get a consistant reading 3 times in short succession .

OP
OP
J

john2456

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Steve, I did not want to admit that I found the 2003 dipstick hard to read. Front side of dipstick that is engraved revealed a level different than the back side . Kind of screwy. Not at all like my bmw dipstick. All said and done,I think there is no oil consumption issue. I did add a QT. and it is now very topped off. Thanks for your good advice. In 2 weeks Viper will get new Tranny,Clutch,and Diff. fluids then November goes to sleep in garage. Thanks again, John

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
the front being differant than the back is from oil getting hung in the curve of the tube, the lowest reading is allways the more accurate, this will be the same front and back(reading) when cooled off or sits for half hour or so

OP
OP
J

john2456

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Blue, Thanks for info. Really interesting to learn all the odd little details on forum about these cars.After a QT of Mobil-1 added,level is perfect. Had car on lift today and found a slight film of oil on fly wheel guard. I removed the plate (2 screws) and no oil on flywheel which means no rear main leak. I did find 2 slightly loose oil pan bolts on rear of pan. Tightened these and all is good. The rear of pan is real close to flywheel and suspect vibration and heat cycles caused bolts to loosen. This car is a lot of fun,despite my limited driving skills. It is way more fun than my 1965 FFR Cobra. John