Low Tire Pressure Sensor Question. Viper Wizard this one is for you.

Brian E

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have had my HRE 545R wheels (with Dodges Low Tire Pressure Sensors installed) on my car for about 2 weeks now. I was driving along and the Low Tire came on in the LCD display. I pulled over and checked my air pressure. All 4 tires ok.
I decided to stop by the Dodge dealer since I was a block away.
I asked them to turn off the Low Tire in the display. They then tell me that it is not covered under warranty and that I would have to pay for it myself. I argue with them for awhile and they dont back down. They dont like the fact that I have aftermarket wheels. I finally relent. The Viper tech then procedes to tell me that he has never seen the new Viper and was hesitant to work on it. He tries to turn the light off, but has no luck. He did erase the DTC code.
Does anybody know how to turn the light off?
I was told that there is a process to syncronize the sensors using a magnet.
I talked to the dealer and they were clueless. They did say the Jeep Cherokees use a magnet and maybe that would work. Anyone have any ideas?
I cant believe that their isnt a way for the owner to turn off the light and reset the system on his or her own. Does Dodge think that we are supposed to go back to the dealer everytime we have a low tire? :mad:

unclgreggy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Brian,

I'm sorry you're having this problem. If you remember I warned you of this problem. My advice to you is take off the sensors and live with the warning message. after a week you will not notice it at all! Trust me. One on the sensors has probably come loose and is floating around inside the tire. Take notice of the cars behavior - do you notice if the there is some slight vibration above 80MPH (same shaking as a car does when you throw a weight). You may not notice it if it is only one sensor off. I only began to notice a real shake when ALL the sensors came loose. As I mentioned previously, my sensors where fine for like 500 miles or so. Then all hell broke loose. It's a pain. HRE should fess up!! Good luck.

BTW - notice how useless the system is anyway???????? It doesn't even tell you what tire is the problem. How stupid.

OP
OP
B

Brian E

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hi Greg.
I pulled the wheels off the car and I dont believe the sensors are loose inside the wheel.
HRE has a new design band to hold them in place and I believe they are working properly. I think my problem lies with the sensors not being syncronized correctly.

SRTaj10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the same problem. I have an 03 SRT 10 and put 20" Kinesis Wheels on it. I now am also dealing with the warning and Dodge told me there is really not much that can be done about it.

SylvanSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
did you move the tire pressure sensors to the new wheels? then you have to go to the dealer to have them reset the sensor and after you drive away w/in a few miles it should go off. yes they need to use the magnets and the scan tool to reset properly

OP
OP
B

Brian E

Viper Owner
Reaction score
did you move the tire pressure sensors to the new wheels? then you have to go to the dealer to have them reset the sensor and after you drive away w/in a few miles it should go off. yes they need to use the magnets and the scan tool to reset properly

SylvanSRT, I bought 4 new sensors so I wouldnt have to remove them from my original wheels and tires.
I drove around for a couple of weeks without the Low Tire warning coming on.
If the dealer is the only one who can reset the system, I need to find a dealer who can do the job, as I stated above, my local dealer is clueless. I did find out that the Cherokees come with a magnet to syncronize the sensors when they have a low tire. I wonder if that magnet can be used?
Why would Dodge install a system that the Viper owners cant reset? PVO, are you listening?

SylvanSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
it should only take 10 minutes if the dealer has already read the instructions on how to reset, then a short drive (a few miles) getting up to speed and the sys should reset itself.

SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's a shame that the mechanic doesn't look in the service manual! The whole procedure for programing the tire pressure module (TPM) is in the book. When the tire pressure sensors are replaced, the new ID code and thresholds need to be programed into the TPM via the DRBIII scan tool.

Sorry but I lost the clarity of the pics when I shrunk them to fit here.If you what larger pics just let me know.

You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images

viper04

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know this is a old post but was wondering if the dealer is the only one that can syncronized, the sensor. Thanks for any info

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Old post indeed... but I have seen this more times than I can count.

Long story short, the Viper is NOT an auto-learn vehicle. It needs to have the DRB-3 plugged in, put into "TPM Learn Mode", as you use a Magnet to activate the sensors, one by one, in the order the DRB-3 tells you to. This is how it determines which codes/sensors apply to which vehicle.

When you change rims/tires and add new sensors, the new sensors MUST be programmed, or the system thinks you have 4 dead batteries in the sensors.

Now... this is where it gets fun. Aftermarket wheels sometimes locate the sensor inside the tire, NOT in the bead area. This makes it so that you CANNOT activate with a magnet! In these cases, you would have needed to program the bare sensors BEFORE they ever went in the new wheels. We have a tool that allows us to activate the sensors without magnets, but your chances of finding the tool we have are near zero.

This is why we offer pre-programmed and duplicate sensor sets. We can program a set of sensors to match your original sensors, so you can install without a DRB or magnet- we just need the codes off of the old sensor stickers, OR off of the DRB-3 TPM code screen [what is currently stored in the computer] We can also write duplicate sensor sets and supply, so that you can have two sets of wheels with the same codes per corner, allowing you to switch between street/track wheels without losing function or needing to program.

Lastly, you cannot turn off the TPM light, and you really dont want to anyway if you can get it to function- and you certainly can if done correctly.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hijack ahead-
Dan what can I do on my '10 ACR to get the warning light off? Local Dodge dealer is clueless but wants me to leave the car there...NO way.
Any remedy? My warning light has been on since the car was delivered last year (great prep by Tomball all four tires had less than 15 lbs in them).

HyperViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jon I would call your dealer again. Mine took 2 trips and appeared clueless the first time, but was able to sync the 2nd time in about 2 minutes. I did not and would not leave the car for this. If they plug the DRB 3 into your diagnostics port and scroll through the functions they should find the TPMS. As Dan said it tells them which tire to start on, mine was driver front tire. They put the circular magnet (looks like a roll of electrical tape) over the valve stem, go through the prompts on the scanner which then tells which tire is next. 2 minutes that is it. If they have any other cars with TPMS and were able to sync they can do yours too. You have to tell them to use the DRB3 because apparently some of the other scanners will work on other cars and they will attempt to use these on your Viper.

Ron

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Ron I guess I'll have to specifically make an appointment during the week with the understanding someone can look at it while I wait.

OP
OP
B

Brian E

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I know this is a old post but was wondering if the dealer is the only one that can syncronized, the sensor. Thanks for any info

As the op, I will share with you what finally resolved this for me. There is a Tire Rack a few miles away from where I live. I took it over to them and they syncronized the sensors in a matter of minutes. As the others have posted, this is not a complicated process, it just takes a technician who has the knowledge to perform the sync properly.

Ps I am not sure where you are located, but there is a very helpful Indiana VCA member who has performed this for several owners in our region. If you are located anywhere close, I would be happy to contact him to see if he could perform the sync for you.

treesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is the only dependable and trustworthy TPMS out there......:dunno:

You must be registered for see images attach

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang