Lug nut replacement

Mopar488

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am getting my lug nuts repaced under warranty due to rusty edges. Looks like someone torqued them with the wrong size socket. I wanted to repace them myself, but the dealer said they have to do it since it is warranty. My big concern is ptting it on their lift which seems to be a real hassle for them from past experience. I am wondering if I can get them to take one lug off at a time and replace them one at a time without putting it on a lift and removing all of them at one time and then replacing them. I do not think it would be a problem to keep it on the ground and do one at a time. I am a little concerned warping the stop tech rotors by doing it like this. Any comments?

CEJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd think you could back off the nuts to 15-20 foot pounds and then swap them one by one and retorque all six without having to put it on a lift.

Make sure you can be in the shop with the mechanic when this work is being done.

treesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am getting my lug nuts repaced under warranty due to rusty edges. Looks like someone torqued them with the wrong size socket. I wanted to repace them myself, but the dealer said they have to do it since it is warranty. My big concern is ptting it on their lift which seems to be a real hassle for them from past experience. I am wondering if I can get them to take one lug off at a time and replace them one at a time without putting it on a lift and removing all of them at one time and then replacing them. I do not think it would be a problem to keep it on the ground and do one at a time. I am a little concerned warping the stop tech rotors by doing it like this. Any comments?

Is this for real ?.......:omg:

F

FrgMstr

I know I like my nuts to be in the best condition possible. :headbang:

treesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yea its for real. Whats the problem?

No "problem"...:lmao:

So its a hassle for your dealer to get a Viper on a lift???? WOW...:omg:

Try a ......... FLOOR JACK.....:dunno:

Also, your rotors are not part of the wheel studs. The studs are attached to the axle. The rotor "hat" fits over the studs.

So you got a dealer to warranty lug nuts because somebody scuffed the corners from negligently using the wrong socket?

Congrats on that. Never heard of that before. Would seem to be a negligent or wear issue.

Good luck

Timnineside

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Typically your not "suppose" to do that with lug nuts. Up in the air, all on at once crossed then torqed. I think it would be okay, but unless you have a Slammed car they should not have any problem getting the car off the ground.

Good luck with that tho.

OP
OP
M

Mopar488

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No "problem"...:lmao:

So its a hassle for your dealer to get a Viper on a lift???? WOW...:omg:

Try a ......... FLOOR JACK.....:dunno:

Also, your rotors are not part of the wheel studs. The studs are attached to the axle. The rotor "hat" fits over the studs.

So you got a dealer to warranty lug nuts because somebody scuffed the corners from negligently using the wrong socket?

Congrats on that. Never heard of that before. Would seem to be a negligent or wear issue.

Good luck

First off, I don't have time to keep jerking around with you, but since you called me out, I will one last time and that's it.

The car is brand new and was just shipped to me from across the country, so there is no wear and tear or negligence as you mentioned. The dealer doing the work is not MY dealer. The scuffing must have been done at the factory, definitely somewhere before it was shipped to me. This is my 4th Viper and not my first rodeo and I definitely know how a car is put together and how to work on one. My concern is that a dealer doesn't. The only reason it is going to a dealer is for warranty, get it? I would have rather used my jack to do all the lug nut change outs. I think you would agree that if all the nuts are not cross torqued in sequence, you risk warping a rotor, right?

I do not like having to take a car into a dealer that is not used to working on them. To keep up the warranty, sometimes you have to bite the bullet and deal with a dealer. I don't know about you, but I cannot afford to risk a warrany on a $111K + car. Do you realize how often a typical non Viper selling dealer even sees a Viper, let alone works on one?

**** it. I'm done.

gutterworks129

Viper Owner
Reaction score
(**** it. I'm done.) sounds like this is from the movie 8-Mile. LOL Just replace the lugs one by one and torq @100ibs. Don't use a air wrench just a torq wrench. Wrap the socket in blue tape to protect the wheels. Take a deep breath and don't be nervous!

treesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
First off, I don't have time to keep jerking around with you, but since you called me out, I will one last time and that's it.

The car is brand new and was just shipped to me from across the country, so there is no wear and tear or negligence as you mentioned. The dealer doing the work is not MY dealer. The scuffing must have been done at the factory, definitely somewhere before it was shipped to me. This is my 4th Viper and not my first rodeo and I definitely know how a car is put together and how to work on one. My concern is that a dealer doesn't. The only reason it is going to a dealer is for warranty, get it? I would have rather used my jack to do all the lug nut change outs. I think you would agree that if all the nuts are not cross torqued in sequence, you risk warping a rotor, right?

I do not like having to take a car into a dealer that is not used to working on them. To keep up the warranty, sometimes you have to bite the bullet and deal with a dealer. I don't know about you, but I cannot afford to risk a warrany on a $111K + car. Do you realize how often a typical non Viper selling dealer even sees a Viper, let alone works on one?

**** it. I'm done.

:lmao::rolaugh::lmao:...... Simmer down "lugnut". This is a car forum.

You should post your question up on the alley exactly the way you did here.
I'm sure you will get your question answered there....:D

"Four Vipers" and still not a VCA member?????....:smirk:

Furthermore,... You, and only you, knew this info....

Reread your original post WITHOUT knowing all the info you just stated. Just the words in your post.

I think you might understand then.

BTW... might try decaffeinated....:rolleyes:

wikkid

Viper Owner
Reaction score
One of the easiest cars to lift. If a dealer cant handle this your in real trouble lol

VYPR BYT 94

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm not trying to be a wiseguy here but... It's my understanding that a dealer must be certified to even look at a Viper. Is that correct? How can this dealer be certified and yet struggle with this basic obstacle? Do they need to have a certain type of lift or something? :dunno:

anyone?.....

FLATOUT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
This has to be the single worst thread I have ever read on this forum.

Only redeeming quality was that the OP got pissed and stormed out LMFAO.

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
how in the holetell does a capped lug nut rust unless they broke/cracked through the lug----? are they chrome lugs maybe?

Mopar Steve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
:lmao::rolaugh::lmao: This is awesome. I thought the Fill-up thread was entertaining but this guy is the best.

Warranty lug nuts?

Warping the rotors?

Then, "I don't trust the dealer?"

Viper tech to change lug nuts?

BTW... might try decaffeinated....:)lmao:)

Seriously, this is not a challenging issue. Any tech at any dealer can perform this work...... And you should be a VCA MEMBER, No excuses there.

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
:
Furthermore,... You, and only you, knew this info....

Reread your original post WITHOUT knowing all the info you just stated. Just the words in your post.

I think you might understand then.

BINGO!!!!
I hate when i read a post that sounds so stupid and my initial instinct is call someone a ***** but then i think to myself am i missing something here????

When I first read the OP i LMAO, then read it outloud to my co-workers and they LOL'd

Overall, thanks for the entertainment Mopar488 and now knowing the situation some of us prob would have had the same concern. The last thing you would want is for some no-tallent a$$clown of a dealership to mess up your viper attempting to put it on a lift if they are not comfortable doing it. My Viper for example is a PITA to get on any 2-post since it is lowerd and requires driving up on blocks. I like to personally line up the arms with my jackpoints as to not worry about someone putting a dent in my sidesills.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
webironmongery