Made 1304 RWHP on my side mount CPE TT set up

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Got word yesterday that my car made 1304 RWHP (uncorrected) with my side mount CPE turbos.

Here's a shot of the dyno chart. The data drops off because the tach signal was lost after a certain point. It was on race gas.

TomWeiTT1304RWHPGraph001.jpg

The car has JE pistons, Oliver rods, stock cam with stock main caps, Nitrited crank, 72lb injectors, 70mm TB, stock manifold and an upgraded fuel system. And the most significant mod are Striker heads.

Obviously I'm not going to run it like that on the street:drive:. We'll get it detuned to somewhere around 950 to 1000rwhp for pump gas so I won't kill myself...:nono:

rmani

Enthusiast
Reaction score
good lord you must not be able to floor that car until 150mph.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Way to go! I think that you should post those number on the vette forum.

Ted

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's crazy power. Very cool, people are going to wonder why you've got a permanent smile on your face and a diaper just in case for the passenger.

OP
OP
GTSnake

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks guys!

It was actually a fluke run. We were trying to get it tuned for around 900-1000 rwhp when it seemed like we ran out of boost. Then someone suggested we try it without the intake flex piping and it shot up to 1300 at 22lbs of boost. We probably won't be doing it again but it's nice to know what it's capable of.:2tu:

OP
OP
GTSnake

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
explain that please ?

Well, it's like when you buy a stock Viper with the flex pipe between the air cleaner and throttle bodies. The first thing you do is replace it with smooth tubes. Same concept except magnify it like 1000 times.

Shelby3

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks guys!

It was actually a fluke run. We were trying to get it tuned for around 900-1000 rwhp when it seemed like we ran out of boost. Then someone suggested we try it without the intake flex piping and it shot up to 1300 at 22lbs of boost. We probably won't be doing it again but it's nice to know what it's capable of.:2tu:

Amazing numbers. What kind of fuel pump system do you have in your rig?

v10kingsnake

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Tom, is PBJ's dyno inside with the bay door closed for testing? Trying to see why it said 70+ degrees on the chart when it was much colder than that yesterday. Isn't it about 20 degrees in St. Louis now?

v10kingsnake

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Well, it's like when you buy a stock Viper with the flex pipe between the air cleaner and throttle bodies. The first thing you do is replace it with smooth tubes. Same concept except magnify it like 1000 times.
I am still unclear on what exactly you removed even with your analogy of the "smooth tubes over stock tubes". Can you clarify better?

OP
OP
GTSnake

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Amazing numbers. What kind of fuel pump system do you have in your rig?

It's a Weldon 2025 I believe. I had a BG sumo before and had problems with it. Also there's a Aeromotive regulator with a BG in-line heat sink, -10 lines out and -8 return.

OP
OP
GTSnake

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tom, is PBJ's dyno inside with the bay door closed for testing? Trying to see why it said 70+ degrees on the chart when it was much colder than that yesterday. Isn't it about 20 degrees in St. Louis now?

I've never been there but I'm guessing it's indoors.

v10kingsnake

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks guys!

Tom, a few more Q's for you as well. Assuming you have a boost controller, how does the boost SHOOT UP in what sounds like an uncontrollable fashion? If it didn't shoot up and in fact was set at 22 psi, I assume from your post "tuning for 900-1000 hp" that you needed to ramp up the boost to this psi to acheive it or was this merely to see what she could max out at? Didn't you end up making 900 on about 10 psi? and something like 950 on 11.5 psi? Was this w/o the "intake flex piping" as well? The numbers are quite impressive, I am just curious as to how they were obtained.

Paolo Castellano

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I am still unclear on what exactly you removed even with your analogy of the "smooth tubes over stock tubes". Can you clarify better?

Josh, I would like to clarify this for you:

We did this pull 30-45 minutes after the previous pull.

PBJ has a heated garage.

We closed the doors after the prevoius pull and the heating system heated the inside of the building to 70 degrees.

We opened the door right before the pull 2 feet high and made the pull.

The air temperature inside was still 70 degrees for the pull.

As far as what was removed, the flexible ducting to the turbo air inlet was removed since we could not make any more than 14 PSI with the ducting in place.

With the boost controller settings in place from trying to maximize the boost with the air inlet restriction, the car made 22PSI once the turbos could get the air they needed.

This is why we made 1300 RWHP on this car.:omg:

We will not be running 22 PSI on this car again.

Paolo Castellano

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tom, a few more Q's for you as well. Assuming you have a boost controller, how does the boost SHOOT UP in what sounds like an uncontrollable fashion? If it didn't shoot up and in fact was set at 22 psi, I assume from your post "tuning for 900-1000 hp" that you needed to ramp up the boost to this psi to acheive it or was this merely to see what she could max out at? Didn't you end up making 900 on about 10 psi? and something like 950 on 11.5 psi? Was this w/o the "intake flex piping" as well? The numbers are quite impressive, I am just curious as to how they were obtained.

All dyno pulls except the very last 1300 RWHP pull were made with the flexible ducting and air filters in place.

v10kingsnake

Viper Owner
Reaction score

PBJ has a heated garage.

We closed the doors after the prevoius pull and the heating system heated the inside of the building to 70 degrees.

As far as what was removed, the flexible ducting to the turbo air inlet was removed since we could not make any more than 14 PSI with the ducting in place.

With the boost controller settings in place from trying to maximize the boost with the air inlet restriction, the car made 22PSI once the turbos could get the air they needed.

Ok, you removed the filters, right? Is it safe to say that 14 psi is the max this system will run with filters on. What was the HP at 14 psi with the filters on? I assume it wasn't 900-1000 because why need to remove them and run in a fashion you personally don't believe in otherwise?

Paolo Castellano

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok, you removed the filters, right? Is it safe to say that 14 psi is the max this system will run with filters on. What was the HP at 14 psi with the filters on? I assume it wasn't 900-1000 because why need to remove them and run in a fashion you personally don't believe in otherwise?

Josh, like I said in an earlier post, all the runs except for the very last one had the flexible ducting and the air filters in place.

It made 1005 RWHP/1003 RWTQ with the air filters on and flexible ducting in place.

I have a new option available for the subsequent cars.

I will upgrade Tom to the solid 3" air intake piping free of charge.

It is the flexible ducting that was the restriction, not the air filters.

v10kingsnake

Viper Owner
Reaction score

PBJ has a heated garage.

Paolo, just checked on your VA post again. Yup, you said this car made 900 rwhp at 10 psi. You also said it made 950 hp at 11.2 psi. You said here that the max you could wrangle out of the kit with the filters on was 14 psi so what gives? The owner Tom stated that you ran with the intake ducting off because it seemed like you were running out of boost tuning for 900-100 hp but if you made 900-950 with 10-1 psi why would you have ran out of boost? Seems like if he made 900 at 10 psi and 950 at 11.2, his numbers at 14 psi would have been quite good. What were they?

v10kingsnake

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Josh, like I said in an earlier post, all the runs except for the very last one had the flexible ducting and the air filters in place.

It made 1005 RWHP/1003 RWTQ with the air filters on and flexible ducting in place.

Did you test with the pipes out and the filters on?

v10kingsnake

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Was this what he made a 14psi then?