Major Coolant Leak (1997 GTS)

SilverViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here is the story:

My engine had compression problem in cylinder no.8. They removed the head and they had to replace two valves, two pushrods and they had the head resurfaced. They also replace the head gasket. I got my car yesterday and everything was fine until I got home (20 km away from the garage). I then pushed the car to 5000rpm (the engine was running fine and the temperature was perfect) and I saw white smoke coming from under the hood. I stopped the engine (the temperature was also ok at this time) and I saw a huge trail of prestone behind my car (at least 5 to 6 liters). I checked under my car and I saw a big pool of prestone (at least 2 liters). Bottom line, my car lost almost all its prestone in less than a minute!! It looks like the leak comes from the radiator!! Do you have any idea of what is going on? Keep in mind my car NEVER overheated.

Edit: When I started the engine the first time, I heard a little whistling noise... like a tiny supercharger noise.

Joseph Dell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds like a hose is loose. Easy way to check is to go to AutoZone or PepBoys and do the "loan-a-tool" for the radiator pressure checker. then pressurize the system and find the leak.

sounds incredibly minor. don't panic yet!

JD

ArlyDude

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I guess your garage doesn't test drive cars when they fix um.

BLUESNAKE367

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My stock radiator hoses gave out about 2 months ago. while I was driving along at 35mph, decided then, no more stock hoses, called Roe Racing and got the silicone hoses, these puppies wont blow out.....

Hope all turns out ok for you...

Blue Streak

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Bluesnake367, how can you tell what number yout GTS and indy ram is? Send me a PM.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960