Make-A-Wish and the Tax Code.......

Tom and Vipers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For a while I have been thinking of eventually doing some Make-A-Wish Viper rides and recently, it occured to me that these should be a bone fide charitable contribution.

Has anyone done this?

John Johns

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had the same lack of response here in Colorado. I'll bet someone on the board has a contact we could use. Ariz Marv?

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Had dinner the other night with a Regional Director from Make-A-Wish. Before you all start griping that noone is jumping through hoops and falling all over themselves to take advantage of your overwhelming generosity.................

Make-a-Wish grants children wishes. They ASK what they want. They do NOT have a wish book, nor are they allowed to make "suggestions".

The average wish costs $5000 and the gentleman we had dinner with did not ever know of a child asking for a Viper ride or anything Viper related in our area.

We are now working directly with him to help in other ways. Fundraising events are the most logical. We'll work to offer a track day at VIR and hots laps for "as fast as you want to go" as an auction item at their annual Black Tie fundraiser. We'll offer to chauffeur the kids that attend the affair in the cars, we'll work with VCA headquarters for some cool auction stuff and we may hold our own silent auction with proceeds going to Make-a-Wish.

So, if you want to help - try the fundraising aspect - its really what they need and will be greatly appreciated. And, if a child's wish ever includes a Viper ride, they'll know where to find you.

I would expoect that it would be deductible on your taxes under Charitable Contributions as you can be "compensated" for the travel expense etc. of performing any volunteer work. So, your gas would be deductible (or a mileage allowance...) but I don't think you could put a "value" on the ride itself as a donation.

Joseph Houss

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Janni's right on the money! Make-a-wish is a great organization that provides "wishes" to children that are terminally ill. As I have worked with the NJ chapter more than once, I learned that most of the wishes tend to be travel and lodging (Disney) or computers and computer related furniture (as many are too weak to leave their rooms). It's an incredibly positive experience for a very sad situation.

What NJ VCA has done in the past has been to arrange for a Charity Event (usually a car show) where 100% of the proceeds go to make-a-wish. Each year we have raised about "1/2" a wish...about $1200-1500, which surely helps get another smile on a childs sad face. We would have loved to raise even more, and I'm working on some ideas to boost the potential donation.

As far as giving rides, Make-a-wish doesn't suggest any "wish" to a child...it is left up to them, and from what I understand, the idea must come from the child, or his/her parent (not a distant relative that THINKS he/she knows what the child wants).

If a ride in a Viper is requested, then that is what they will arrange.... but I would guess that most would opt for some quality time with their family, or some additional entertainment for their room since many times they are immobile. Maybe we're misunderstanding Tom ... are you suggesting that you want to give people rides in your Viper, for a fee, and have the proceeds go to Make-A-Wish? I think Jon B has done this on numerous occasions, and may be able to help. That's a wonderful gesture.

I would love to have our members agree that the VCA could/should make Make-a-Wish our official charity, possibly arrange for at least one wish a year be taken from our treasury, or possibly offer some club merchandise where a percentage of the profits could go to them.

With the good fortune (Viper ownership, of course) that we have all experienced, I say it's time we gave a bit back to those who need.

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry if it seems harsh, not really meant that way - but folks seems to forget that most of these organizations are staffed by VOLUNTEERS - as are all the local VCA chapters and regional rep and national officers. Yes, a note of thanks or acknowledgemnet of your offer is the right thing. Just try to be understanding that this can be an overwhelming job and if there no immediate "wishes" on the table, then it probably just has to take a low priority. I am sure that if they get a wish, then I'd bet that they would track you down and ask for help.

I would suggest that you contact them again and see if there is something that you can do for a fundraising effort that includes the cars and the kids. Get creative - offer your help - see what scheduled fundraisers they have coming up - golf tournaments, auctions, etc and see what you could do there. Bottom line is get involved.... Be persistent and bring something to the party - they'll accept your offer with open arms.

OP
OP
Tom and Vipers

Tom and Vipers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
RE: Liability

All the more reason that if you do this, you are making a substantial contribution....... you are putting a lot, At Risk to use Uncle's own jargon....

SEASNAKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have also been trying to figure out how to provide sick children with some fun in the Viper. Unfortunately most Make-a-Wish kids or kids in the hospital are there because they are very sick. It's hard for most of them to really enjoy the ride. I certainly appreciate your efforts - whether or not it's a tax write off.

Nothing about my Viper is more fun to me than giving kids rides. Time permitting, I have never turned down giving a kid a short ride.

Maybe big brothers or something like that for underpriviledged kids is a better idea for giving kids rides.

Marv S

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Janni is giving an accurate view of the way the program works. The Arizona Viper club was the marque at a race at PIR last December. During the lunch break Viper drivers drive kids on the track. The children given rides were there because they were physically able to be there at that time. Siblings were also given rides. When there were more children than Vipers, some of the street legal cars (Super charged NSX’s, M5, Etc.) that had been racing were even giving rides.

There are more details of the structure in the posts listed below. While a tax deduction would certainly be nice, it would never be a deciding factor for me in participating in such an event
http://vca1.viperclub.org/ubb/Forum14/HTML/000595.html
http://www.race-asra.org/
http://vca1.viperclub.org/ubb/Forum14/HTML/000513.html
http://www.azvipers.com/MakeAWish.htm

Colorado John, You’ll just have to come down a bit early for your Bondurant school in Dec so you can join us for the Santa Dash.

VOI9 ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Our members just finished a Make-A-Wish Viper Ride event where we gave over 120 rides for $10 per person here in the Central California Region a few weeks ago. Everyone had a great time. It was held in conjunction with one of our members anniversary of his auto business (Sebring West) We made a lot of kids and adults smile ear to ear!

OP
OP
Tom and Vipers

Tom and Vipers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My whole perspective on this was that I have seen absolute hysteria over my car in kids down to 4 or 5 years of age when they see a Viper. And I just love driving past school buses because the kids go nuts over it. I like the way they wear their hearts on their sleeves AND love the Viper!

It is insane but I dropped a friends kid off for hockey at the school and there was this group of peewee's getting ready to do some sports thing and when they saw the car, they all started jumping up and down, running around, waving their arms about screaming, "
bounce.gif
Viper!
bounce.gif
Viper!
bounce.gif
Viper!
bounce.gif
"

So I assumed that if any of these kids were down to their last wish, they might choose a Viper. And I just love giving anyone(!) a ride in the car.
BURNOUT.gif

It appears that that is not the case.

As far as the tax write off. Uncle Sam spanked me pretty good when I bot this car - so don't blame me for trying to get even. (Actually Uncle Same has molested me but who ya' gonna' call?)

Frankly, if I wanted to give a kid a ride in a viper - if I didn't know anyone and had to rent the car and someone who could drive it - I'm sorry, but it would cost me a fortune and that fortune is what Uncle Sam should accept as a contribution.

I don't mind supporting charities, however, there's no gravy for Uncle Same at my table.

I hope this doesn't make me a bad person.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte