Makes you want to shake yer head!

tarfungo

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I just heard a story from a friend about a local guy who recently bought a ‘95 RT/10 Emerald Green snake just like mine only with less than 4ooo miles in factory condition.

Four weeks in the new owner’s possession - after 10 years of being taken care of - and it’s now gone. This weekend this car was wrapped around a tree. The driver walked away so that’s the good news, but sad just the same.

It's my understanding that the owner was 'fearful' of his snake’s power and so on. Accidents can happen to anyone, but I sometimes wonder what people are thinking? :confused: :confused:

ROCKET62

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
Wonder if it still had the original tires? While they may look OK because of the amount of tread - they are in my opinion DANGEROUS. 10 year old rubber has no bite and are hard as rocks and when combined with the torque of a VIPER - only bad things can happen.

Moral of the story - OLD tires with lots of tread = bad news!

Do I sound like I'm speaking from a personal experience - YES!

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If there is a silver lining to all these "Viper totalled" stories (I wish no injury on anyone) it is that the already small number of Vipers continue to dwindle down and this does nothing but increase the value of our cars. For example I think they made 536 or so Silver GTS. I'm guessing that number is already down under 500. Heck by the time these cars are 30 years old and start hitting Barrett-Jackson there aren't going to be any left!

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If there is a silver lining to all these "Viper totalled" stories (I wish no injury on anyone) it is that the already small number of Vipers continue to dwindle down and this does nothing but increase the value of our cars. For example I think they made 536 or so Silver GTS. I'm guessing that number is already down under 500. Heck by the time these cars are 30 years old and start hitting Barrett-Jackson there aren't going to be any left!

No, it just means there are going to be a lot more cars that have been rebuilt and still have a clear title :mad: :mad: :mad:

scottgf

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Wonder if it still had the original tires? While they may look OK because of the amount of tread - they are in my opinion DANGEROUS. 10 year old rubber has no bite and are hard as rocks and when combined with the torque of a VIPER - only bad things can happen.

Moral of the story - OLD tires with lots of tread = bad news!

Do I sound like I'm speaking from a personal experience - YES!

While I agree with Rocket regarding old tires, I wonder if many (most) of the
"new" Viper owners would have wrecked thier snake even with fresh rubber.
I bought my snake 5 years ago, and it had orig. rubber on it and I noticed that it would "light up" the tires very easily, I was cautious until I was familiar with the handling of it.
I think it comes down to not knowing, or respecting the power of the snake.
Most of the accidents I have heard about, (mostly on this board) where caused by someone mashing the go pedal at the wrong time...like exiting a corner...and not being ready for torque....

...."Respect the power of the Snake, Grasshopper".....

Also I hate to see another snake wrecked.......
Regarding Barrett-Jackson, I think there are allready few enough Vipers to make them bring big money someday (not that I will stop driving mine) look at all the Vettes that brought over $100k.

Cheers,

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pilots=wrecks

I see a lot of posts that say that pilots create accidents, yet some praises them. What are the best tires for vipers? Who else makes tires that size? I assume they're not sizes you can pick up at costco. :D

TCKTPLZ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pilots=wrecks
Who else makes tires that size? I assume they're not sizes you can pick up at costco. :D

Kumho. I believe they are 17" and are alot grippier than the stock Pilots. One downfall to them though as posted on this website is their propensity to kick up gravel and road debris and induce damage to the side sills. Some 3M clear tape supposedly remedies this though.

I have driven my Viper about 100 mph on 40 mph posted turns and I came quite close to that "losing control" feeling. Also, bumpy areas of the road will hurt you if you are unattentive and are driving too fast.

As I tell people, if your not cautious with the Viper it will hurt you. If you do not respect the Viper, it will kill you.

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pilots=wrecks
Who else makes tires that size? I assume they're not sizes you can pick up at costco. :D

Kumho. I believe they are 17" and are alot grippier than the stock Pilots. One downfall to them though as posted on this website is their propensity to kick up gravel and road debris and induce damage to the side sills. Some 3M clear tape supposedly remedies this though.

I have driven my Viper about 100 mph on 40 mph posted turns and I came quite close to that "losing control" feeling. Also, bumpy areas of the road will hurt you if you are unattentive and are driving too fast.

As I tell people, if your not cautious with the Viper it will hurt you. If you do not respect the Viper, it will kill you.

I have 18's. Currently pilots in front, bfgoodrich in the rear. The viper came that way, about 30% worn. Would like to get new tires in a couple months. So much info... so little brain to process it all. :confused:

RedEnuf93

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"Accidents can happen to anyone, but I sometimes wonder what people are thinking?"

Usually within 400 first miles..... Not a whole lot.

If they manage to keep the snake one year on the road, they should be OK. Unfortunately within the first year your petsnake may give you a bad bite. :(

Gerald Levin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I think I've seen it posted here that you can get tires for your car at Costco. I believe they order for you and it takes a week for them to arrive.

Tiepilot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pilots=wrecks

I see a lot of posts that say that pilots create accidents, yet some praises them. What are the best tires for vipers? Who else makes tires that size? I assume they're not sizes you can pick up at costco. :D

Dunlop SP8000's are a very good tire for the Viper according to a few that have used them on street and track.

TomSlick

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You just have to learn how to drive sideways I've always said. Being caught off guard is what usually gets you, like when it's slightly cold outside with cold tires. A good way to get used to the cars, is to take it out after a slight rain and play around. That will give you an idea of what it will do. Good tires make alot of difference, with the exception of run-flats.

PirateViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I met a guy locally here a few years back that left his green 95 in his garage at the beach when hurricane Fran blew here.Beach was flooded and car ruined....guy couldnt have care less....couldve ****** slapped him1

radta7

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I met a guy locally here a few years back that left his green 95 in his garage at the beach when hurricane Fran blew here.Beach was flooded and car ruined....guy couldnt have care less....couldve ****** slapped him1

Could have?!?!? You should have!

OP
OP
T

tarfungo

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I spoke to the owner of the wrecked Viper last night. He’s well and only nursing a sore shoulder as a result of being banged by seat belt.

His insurance company though has totaled his Viper. The repair bids were in excess of 60k! I’m trying to get some photos, but it sounds like this snake was pretty well dusted – new hood and left side not to mention frame work and so on. :crazy:

As suspected in a an earlier response to this thread, he was driving on a less than dry road, hit a corner a little too hard and lost control – and ‘Yes’ he was driving on the original 10 year old tires!!!

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm betting he would have lost it new tires or old. Hitting the corner too ******* a "less than dry" road he obviously didn't have a clue or respect the car he just bought. Not really the time or place to test the Vipers limits. Driver error.

vviperr

Viper Owner
Reaction score
New owners really need to go to driving school. I did a 270 after having my ROE SC installed while showing another ACR owner what my car could do. Really stupid mistake but it made realize I could use some training. I spent 3 days last week at Panoz and now I feel much better prepared first not to make stupid mistakes but second how to handle the car if I do. Also, never never never let someone else drive your Viper!!

BluBite

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you need tires, let me know. I will sell them to you at a discount. I'm a wholesaler for Tire Rack.

904-813-8834