Making Strange Noise

Big Medicine

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Only at slow roll & sharpest turn (making a U-E), I hear a weird, periodic rubbing sound. Doesn't sound normal, but not so horrible that it must be problematic. Anyone else experience this? Who's a knowledgeable Viper mechanic in Indy?

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Try Phil at Palmer North...works on MORE than most, and knows many of the variables...846-5555, go thru Jon Stumpf who is the Viper service writer for Phil Honeycutt.

OP
OP
B

Big Medicine

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the lead. I don't think it's the fluid, unless these cars differ in sound from others when low. I thought it was tires rubbing at first, but not sure. Bearings maybe?

I dunno.

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Since we're in the same area, you're welcome to stop by and see if my 1996 does the same thing.

Kevin Stitely

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Big Medicine,
I recently experienced a similar rubbing noise while making turns. After further investigation, Jason Heffner found a little bit of play (sort of a wobbling effect)in the wheel hub. He tightened the nut that holds the hub in place and bingo...no more play. Not sure how it worked itself loose. I've driven the car approx. 150 miles since then and have not noticed any problems.

KenH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a similar sound with my '01. Hard left turn from a stop is the most noticeable. Mine has a bit of a woo..woo sound to it. Sounds a little like an intermittently dragging brake pad on the rotor or something. Kevin, do you know if the play you had could be detected by just jacking the wheel up and feeling for slop?

--- Ken

Diablo Joe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Have you by any chance recently installed a new radiator or fan upgrade? I had some rubbing noises when I installed the above and it took forever for me to figure out what it was.It sounded like a power steering whine.

Joe

Tommy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Only at slow roll & sharpest turn (making a U-E), I hear a weird, periodic rubbing sound. Doesn't sound normal, but not so horrible that it must be problematic. Anyone else experience this? Who's a knowledgeable Viper mechanic in Indy?

You're not alone. I have the same problem on my '01. Same noise you're describing when making a slow and complete right turn at very low speeds. That rubbing sound wasn't there when I was stock. Started happening only after the car was lowered with aftermarket wheels/tires.

Tom Sessions

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does the noise sound like it is coming from the rear of the car?If so it may the rear axle.When the fluid starts to brake down in the axle it does not work it's way into the clutch plates for the limited slip unit and it causes a rubbing noise.I would recommend changing the fluid in the axle and adding the required amount of aditive for the limited slip.

The correct fluid is 75w140 syn fluid I don't remember the part # for the additive right now

OP
OP
B

Big Medicine

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ken H.....BINGO; sounds like mine exactly.

Mine is coming from the passenger front, I believe. It could be deceiving though. Thanks for all the info guys. think I'll jack it up & look for play. To the best of my knowledge, my car is stock.

onerareviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Big Medicine,
I recently experienced a similar rubbing noise while making turns. After further investigation, Jason Heffner found a little bit of play (sort of a wobbling effect)in the wheel hub. He tightened the nut that holds the hub in place and bingo...no more play. Not sure how it worked itself loose. I've driven the car approx. 150 miles since then and have not noticed any problems.

Kevin,

I'm getting the same noise... A couple questions:

1.) Was it the front wheel or rear?

2.) Which bolt/s did he tighten? There are 4 mounting bolts for the front wheel hub assembly that attach to the steering knuckle. Torque specs are 45 ft. lbs. for all four. These are accessible from behind the steering knuckle. You also have the large nut/bolt, that is in the center of the 6 wheel studs. The manual says not to touch this bolt, and does not give torque specs.

3.) For the rear, there are 4 mounting bolts for the wheel hub assembly as well. Torque specs are 110 ft. lbs. for all four. Now, on the rear that center nut between the 6 studs can be serviced/tightened. The official name is the 'yoke to rear hub/bearing mounting nut'. Torque specs is 190 ft. lbs.

*** These specs are from a 2000 service manual. Not sure about other years...

P.S. - My noise sounds like it is coming from the passenger/front. Thanks for any help.

JDR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I noticed a wear mark on my front right fender well... and YES, I have the noise just as described. This weekend I'll take it out with the top off, and have the wife drive.

We'll find the source, or she'll drive me over trying!

onerareviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jason H. was kind enough to send me an email inidicating the passenger front 'center nut' (in between the 6 studs/lugs), is what he tightened. Although, he was unsure of the torque specs. ANYONE HAVE THIS INFO.???? I looked in the service manual, and it only gives the specs for the rear hub (190 ft. lbs.).

Thanks.

onerareviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
O.K. Folks.

I tightened the H*ll out of this bolt. Procedure is to remove the center cap, get a 1 1/4 socket, minimum of 3/4 drive wrench, and tighten with all your strength. I'm guessing I tightened to 200 ft. lbs, at least. The bolt didn't seem to move much at all, but the noise is gone!!! The mystery is solved!

Thanks Jason!

P.S. - Must tighten this bolt with wheel on/Viper on ground. Otherwise, rotor will just turn as you try to tighten. I know, thank you Mr. Obvious.

OP
OP
B

Big Medicine

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I took all the wheels off yesterday; the front rotors can be easily manipulated, moving 3 or 4 threads out on the lugs (the studs to which the wheel is mounted & nuts fastened)by pulling on them. I think the only thing holding the rotor in place is the brake caliper & the wheel w/ lug nuts.

This can't be normal. Isn't there supposed to be some sort of mechanical attachment to the hub? The rear rotors don't budge.

I looked at an exploded diagram at the dealer & couln't see anything obvious.

Anyone? Anyone?

Bueller?

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
That's the way the are... proper lug nut tightening procedure and sequence extremely important...I'm STILL unclear about your noise, however.

OP
OP
B

Big Medicine

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm draining diff today. This is making me crazy. It's gotta be from the front though. I'm convinced. Every time I tighten the centerhub nut it has an effect, sometimes more than others, but after a couple hundred miles the noise recurs.

luc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The big nut you are talking about is part of the clamp bolt and nut for the bearing/hub assembly and is crimped and torqued in place at the factory and is NOT seviceable,that's why no torque value is given.

If you have too much play in it,you need to replace the whole unit,hub and bearings are sold as 1 unit.

Luc.
00GTS

OP
OP
B

Big Medicine

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We have a winner. Many thanks Tom & Steve. I went by Palmer North & had Phil ride with me. He said it sounded to him as if it was coming from the rear. I guess sound travels & can fool ya, b/c I could have sworn it was coming from the front. Anyway, jacked her up & put her on stands & changed out the differential fluid. After one turn and a few yards, the strange noise is gone. Haven't heard it since......I guess it disappeared previously from driving a while & stirring the old fluid up, hence why I THOUGHT I was doing some good by tightening the front hubs. Hope I didn't ruin those. Did a cross country trip in it recently & I noticed the noise disappeared after a bit of driving....

I guess it's time to ante up. This place has saved me considerable amount of money in dealer labor by pulling how-to's on fluid changes, equipment purchases,
& error codes. I figure it's at least worth a year's dues. I feel like I've been stealing.

Steve, you're my local. Where do I mail the check? I'm filling out the membership application now.

Thanks Ya'll!

Does the noise sound like it is coming from the rear of the car?If so it may the rear axle.When the fluid starts to brake down in the axle it does not work it's way into the clutch plates for the limited slip unit and it causes a rubbing noise.I would recommend changing the fluid in the axle and adding the required amount of aditive for the limited slip.

The correct fluid is 75w140 syn fluid I don't remember the part # for the additive right now

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Glad to hear the sound is gone, Mike.

Quickest way to join, is to fax the application to VCA HDQ...1-248-553-2138.

When you get a chance, give me a call( 317-402-9013)...or, e-mail your address to me, and I'll get the info in our local system, and send you a few updates.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960