Manual Lock Mechanism on Gen 4?

Natrops

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Can someone explain how the manual key unlocking works on the Gen 4?

I tried using the key, but it won't turn either way. Is it physically supposed to turn when you try to unlock?

Wondering if I'm doing it wrong or if something is causing the key to be stuck.

I was wanting to put it in battery save mode, but was worried I'd lock myself out given I could unlock with the key.

Thoughts?

Jason

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Short term fix...squirt a small amount of penetrating oil into lock (can use WD-40...but some folks feel it has long term worries if that is all you use)...wait a few minutes...insert key, and turn FIRMLY (you WILL worry that it might break) while AT THE SAME TIME push against the rear of driver's door WHILE holding down the outside "door handle".

I would suggest using a good lock lube every 6 months. Lately, I have been placing a SMALL amount of white lithium grease on the key, placing the key into the lock and cycling the lock.

viperprowler1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I had the same circumstance. I was shown that I was not using enough "force" or pressure on the key...in other words, I was being too delicate. Once I realized that, it took just a bit of effort to turn the cylinder and it worked fine and has worked ever since. For what it's worth...

Mike

OP
OP
N

Natrops

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks guys, pushing in while turning the key solved the problem. Didn't even require too much pressure on the key.

OP
OP
N

Natrops

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I can confirm it does as I just locked my keys in the car with a dead battery! Luckily in had a spare set of keys. I believe you also use the key when you've put the vehicle in battery save mode.

3whitevipers

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
You should not have to use the key in Battery save mode as the drivers door is unlocked in that mode--at least that's the way my Gen 4 has worked. I've never locked the car after entering the battery save mode.---Dave

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thiagets