May 19th 2004 National "Don't Buy Gas" Day!!!!!!!!!

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
May 19th 2004 National \"Don\'t Buy Gas\" Day!!!!!!!!!

FWIW:

IT HAS BEEN CALCULATED THAT IF EVERYONE IN THE UNITED STATES DID NOT PURCHASE A DROP OF GASOLINE FOR 1 DAY AND ALL AT THE SAME TIME,THE OIL COMPANIES WOULD CHOKE ON THEIR STOCKPILES. AT THE SAME TIME IT WOULD HIT THE ENTIRE INDUSTRY WITH A NET LOSS OF OVER 4.6 BILLION DOLLARS, WHICH AFFECTS THE BOTTOM LINES OF THE OIL COMPANIES.

THEREFORE, MAY 19TH HAS BEEN FORMALLY DECLARED "STICK IT UP THEIR BEHIND DAY, AND THE PEOPLE OF THIS NATION SHOULD NOT BUY A SINGLE DROP OF GASOLINE THAT DAY.

THE ONLY WAY THIS CAN BE DONE IS IF YOU FORWARD THIS E-MAIL TO AS MANY PEOPLE AS YOU CAN AND AS QUICKLY AS YOU CAN TO GET THE WORD OUT. WAITING ON THIS ADMINISTRATION TO STEP IN AND CONTROL THE PRICES IS NOT GOING TO HAPPEN. WHAT HAPPENED TO THE REDUCTION AND CONTROL IN PRICES THAT THE ARAB NATIONS PROMISED TWO WEEKS AGO?

REMEMBER ONE THING, NOT ONLY IS THE PRICE OF GASOLINE GOING UP, BUT AT THE SAME TIME AIRLINES ARE FORCED TO RAISE THEIR PRICES, TRUCKING COMPANIES ARE FORCED TO RAISE THEIR PRICES, WHICH EFFECTS PRICES ON EVERYTHING THAT IS SHIPPED. THINGS LIKE FOOD, CLOTHING, BUILDING MATERIALS, MEDICAL SUPPLIES ETC. WHO PAYS IN THE END? WE DO!

WE CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE. IF THEY DON'T GET THE MESSAGE AFTER ONE DAY, WE WILL DO IT AGAIN AND AGAIN. SO DO YOUR PART AND SPREAD THE WORD. FORWARD THIS EMAIL TO EVERYONE YOU KNOW.

MARK YOUR CALENDARS AND MAKE MAY 19TH A DAY THAT THE CITIZENS OF THE UNITED STATES SAY "ENOUGH IS ENOUGH"

Magicboy2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: May 19th 2004 National

Dude (F355) did you actually read this and give it any thought before you posted it?

How will this in any way, shape or form affect gas prices? If you needed gas on the 19th, you'd just buy it on the 18th or 20th instead, which would net out to zero.

My favorite part is how one day of lean gas sales will cause these huge multinational oil companies to "choke on their stockpiles!" I mean, these are only some of the biggest companies in the world we're talking about here, but they apparantly are so fragile that if one day goes wrong, LOOK OUT!!!!

Heh.

Fiorano

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Oil consumption will remain the same that day whether you buy or not. This won't affect anything.

Neil - UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score

we had a fuel block-ade (Mad Max style) at fuel depots, lorry drivers blocked the tankers from getting out and were generally supported by the masses it lasted for around 7 days, fuel at filling stations ran out within a couple of days people were mass buying. It was all about tax on fuel by the government, and it brought the country almost to a halt. Roads were nice and empty :) shame it didnt last for another week, but it worked fuel prices froze for a good spell until recent times

Wild Bill

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Some people are so gullible! If you want to decrease consumption it would have to be over the long term. We should all buy Honda hybrids and sell our SUV's and other gas guzzlers.

Bill

LIVIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score

If you want to decrease consumption it would have to be over the long term. We should all buy Honda hybrids and sell our SUV's and other gas guzzlers.

Bill

That is exactly correct. A one day forbearance on the purchase of gas is useless, as detailed above. Some have suggested one day without driving. OK, a little better, but not a long term effect. Keep in mind that you are dealing with dependant purchasers of a non-renewable resource dealt out by a monopoly of suppliers (there are many sources for oil, including the US, Canada and Mexico, but for the most part these discussions focus on OPEC suppliers) In order to have any real effect, you need to 1) reduce demand and 2) create competition. In this case competition means alternative and/or renewable resources. (Solar or wind to electric for example)

For me, I can't wait to see the new Lexus hybrid SUV. It is supposed to have somewhere around 40 mpg and more horsepower that the current gas model. It is also the first luxury hybrid SUV. There is nothing to say you can't keep your Viper and get something more efficient for the everyday ****.

Buckeye Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Same people probably thought this up as the people who thought the Iraq war was over oil and GW would be taking oil baths after the war.

Speaking of which, I saw a dude with a "no blood for oil" sign today downtown Cincy. Idiot.

cayenne

Enthusiast
Reaction score

There is nothing to say you can't keep your Viper and get something more efficient for the everyday ****.

Hmm.....when I do get my Viper...it WILL be my daily driver for the 'everyday ****'....

:cool:

cayenne

96 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

As I recall I paid a hefty "gas guzzler" tax on my S-600 and maybe the Viper too. The way I see it, I paid for the "privilege" to drive a fuel inefficient car up front when I bought it. Screw the oil companies. It's over $4.00 a gallon in California. Crazy! :mad:

Paul Fischer

Enthusiast
Reaction score

"Therefore May 19th has been formally declared stick it up their behind day..." By whom I might ask, the idiot that "calculated" said effects on reserves? Yup, sounds credible to me.

75% of the price of gas is tax. We shut down our oil derricks with regulations, prevent any new refineries from being built (it's been over 30 years since we have allowed a new one in the U.S.) and sue anyone that dares explore for reserves and we wonder why supply is outstripped by demand? Duh...

We currently have a presidential candidate that called for an additional 50 cents more tax to be added on for starters and have had candidates in recent elections who thought $5 a gallon sounded about right (turns out his family owned millions of dollars worth of oil company stock). Those of us that lived through the real all time high for gas prices (it's still well below the records reached in the late 70's) when it was rationed and lines went for blocks thought we might have learned our lesson.

I guess not...

GraphiteGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I know it won't do much to forgo gas tomorrow, but it's probably better than doing nothing. I am going to participate just to say I tried.
I really don't u-stand the rich politicians, many of whom have drivers, who think higher gas prices will be good for the working man.
The upside is that I've been shopping prices on an H2.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score

75% of the price of gas is tax

A healthy chunk yes. But not 75%. Most of the excize taxes are in cents (or fractions) and do not change with rising prices.

Michigan's tax is $0.19 per gallon and federal is $0.184 for a total of $0.38

For a complete summary of state by state taxes check here http://www.gaspricewatch.com/usgastaxes.asp

There may have been minor changes but the result is the same. In the US tax on fuel is a small fraction of the fuel price. That is not an advocation of more tax. Just a factual statement.

Paul Fischer

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I will happily stand corrected and look forward to reviewing the site Ron suggests.

The 75% figure is achieved by backing out the costs. Gas costs about 50 cents a gallon to refine, sometimes considerably less. In addition to the exise taxes posted at the pump there are taxes at the wellhead, on the delivery truck, on the refinery, on catalysts etc.. The state exise taxes by themselves are modest and provide the bulk of road maintenece revenues in many states, a worthy expenditure.

I've got some buds in the business. I'll see if they have any figures.

George Murray

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Fuel prices are high because high fuel prices prop up the regimes of oil-producing nations. Plain and simple. I had a long chat with a US Department of State consular officer in Saudi Arabia about this issue many years ago. This particular guy was unusually heterosexual. Strange for a DoS analyst (worthless side note).

We, the "western" consumer, pay to keep the regimes of oil-producing nations stable. Paying a half-buck more at the pump is a helluva lot cheaper in the long run than going into battle in various countries to bail out corrupt nincompoops in non-democracies.

"There is no Politik but RealPolitik!" (say that with a German accent five times...der ist...).

Of note, the former Soviet "republics" that are oil-producers tend to benefit from this policy, as many are unstable. That's in our interest long-term because there's many many nukes left in Russia, and we (the West) want a stable Russia.

Also, despite their oil riches, the wealthiest OPEC nations spend heavily and are deeply in debt. Again, it is in the interest of the West to keep the cash flowing so these boneheaded despotic scumbags can make their payments to the many western financial institutions that hold their notes.

Pay your extra buck or so per gallon for a while. The prices will eventually recede. Perhaps if it were a more fair, more just world...

Bah! Just **** it up and drive! There's no whining in ViperWorld! (except by Jon A.).

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Fuel prices are high because high fuel prices prop up the regimes of oil-producing nations. Plain and simple. I had a long chat with a US Department of State consular officer in Saudi Arabia about this issue many years ago. This particular guy was unusually heterosexual. Strange for a DoS analyst (worthless side note).

We, the "western" consumer, pay to keep the regimes of oil-producing nations stable. Paying a half-buck more at the pump is a helluva lot cheaper in the long run than going into battle in various countries to bail out corrupt nincompoops in non-democracies.

"There is no Politik but RealPolitik!" (say that with a German accent five times...der ist...).

Of note, the former Soviet "republics" that are oil-producers tend to benefit from this policy, as many are unstable. That's in our interest long-term because there's many many nukes left in Russia, and we (the West) want a stable Russia.

Also, despite their oil riches, the wealthiest OPEC nations spend heavily and are deeply in debt. Again, it is in the interest of the West to keep the cash flowing so these boneheaded despotic scumbags can make their payments to the many western financial institutions that hold their notes.

Pay your extra buck or so per gallon for a while. The prices will eventually recede. Perhaps if it were a more fair, more just world...

Bah! Just **** it up and drive! There's no whining in ViperWorld! (except by Jon A.).

Wow apparently "ranting" is allowed though.... sad....

Jon A.

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I can FEEL it working!

Or maybe it's the ******.

At $2.50 per gallon you will spend about $300 more per year to fuel the Viper than you normally would. Ouch, the financial PAIN!

Wild Bill

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Sure! By the time I've driven up for Arkansas I'll probably be ready for a break.

Well maybe not, drove 700 miles Saturday and was still sad to get home :) :) :) :)

Bill

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I was keeping an eye on all the c-stores today and it looked like sales may be down......tomorrow will be busy :)

S

SUN RA KAT

I didn't buy gas today just to make up for youse guys who screwed up the whole gas price protest movement.

When gas hits over $3.00 per gallon these will be the good old days.

If I can't afford to drive to the polls this November, Mr.Bush may find himself unemployed in January.

C O D Y

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I filled up.

Those who waited will be punished when the price goes up another nickel tomorrow.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Axial32